It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:19

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Projector recommendations
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2013, 04:57 
My current setup is a Pioneer DVL-909 on a 42 icnch VIZIO E4211VO via A/V cables. The laserdisc picture looks horrible no matter what I do, I even calibrated it using the Video Essentials disc and still it looks terrible. I live in a small apartment and I have no room for a second TV so it seems my only option would be a projector however I am completely clueless about them. I'm guessing there must be older standard def projectors out there and newer high defs, right? 4:3 and 16:9 also? So I'm guessing my best bet would be a 480p 16:9 projector with built in speakers if such a product exists. Could someone give me some suggestions as to which particular ones I should consider? I don't have that much money to spend on things like this so price is a factor also.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Post subject: Re: Projector recommendations
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2013, 05:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Whoa, friend, slow down there a bit.

Rather than trying to use a projector (which is its own can of worms), you might be better off trying to run the video through an outboard processor, to convert it to a form your TV can handle better. There are many options, some of them pretty inexpensive. And there may be tweaks you can do, since the Video Essentials calibrations are really intended for CRT displays.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2013, 13:55 
an outboard processor? I assume you mean a line doubler? Those a way out of my price range. I did an ebay search and the cheapest ones I could find were around $200 (which is within my budget) but I doubt that the output quality on these would be satisfactory.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2013, 16:20 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Look for faroudja NRS(native resolution series). There are fixed output, adjusted at factory units. So if you buy one that outputs 720p you can not change it to 1080p. You would have to ship it to faroudja to adjust it. So make sure you buy one that is appropriate for your display.
It has a so so comb filter and the best line doubler and noise reduction for ld. You can find one for $100 or less.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2013, 16:45 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

publius is right, get something else.
also substance is right also, look for something that will work with your screen.

also if 200 is out of your budget then a projector is not the right thing for you.
i have an infocus IN72, they are cheap on ebay BUT you will be SOL as you need to get a screen,
or if you have a SUPER flat wall you will then need special paint, so you are looing at lowest around 300 is my guess, i haven't priced the paint in some time.
search up more on the forum, look up DVD recorders and such, some do that and it's cheaper.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2013, 18:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

If you're not using an S-Video cable yet, do it. Composite on the DVL's is not good, since it's recombined from the S-Video output - anything the comb filter in the player can't deal with well gets messed up in the composite output.

(The later players with a more 'analog' look like the S104 and V2800 still have 8-bit digital TBC, they just don't have a comb filter mucking with the signal)

As for cheaper video processors, try to find a Panasonic DVD recorder off Craigslist or a thrift store (if you're very lucky) Some have HDMI output - the later EZ series might not have as good comb filtering, though.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2013, 09:48 
Thanks for all the information gentlemen, I had no idea that projectors were such a big investment, I thought you could project onto any white or beige wall. Shows what I know. lol

"If you're not using an S-Video cable yet, do it. Composite on the DVL's is not good, since it's recombined from the S-Video output - anything the comb filter in the player can't deal with well gets messed up in the composite output.

As for cheaper video processors, try to find a Panasonic DVD recorder off Craigslist or a thrift store (if you're very lucky) Some have HDMI output - the later EZ series might not have as good comb filtering, though."

I had no idea that the composite video is recombined from the S-Video, there's my problem right there. It just so happens that my buddy has a Panasonic DVD recorder that he is not using but I'm not sure if it has an HDMI output.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2013, 22:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

dismal_shoals wrote:
Thanks for all the information gentlemen, I had no idea that projectors were such a big investment, I thought you could project onto any white or beige wall. Shows what I know. lol

"If you're not using an S-Video cable yet, do it. Composite on the DVL's is not good, since it's recombined from the S-Video output - anything the comb filter in the player can't deal with well gets messed up in the composite output.

As for cheaper video processors, try to find a Panasonic DVD recorder off Craigslist or a thrift store (if you're very lucky) Some have HDMI output - the later EZ series might not have as good comb filtering, though."

I had no idea that the composite video is recombined from the S-Video, there's my problem right there. It just so happens that my buddy has a Panasonic DVD recorder that he is not using but I'm not sure if it has an HDMI output.

In all honesty, if you are not able to put a few thousand into a good projector setup, I would suggest going with other technology. Good projectors start in the $2k range. Whatever you do, don't project onto a wall or a bed sheet. Buy a good screen, it will pay off. Also, if you are going with a project, I presume you want to really blow up the picture. Get a high end scaler. Your picture will depend on the weakest link in the series, so don't go bottom of the barrel on any individual item in the series as you will only get the lowest common denominator from the series of components (and that includes the screen that you are projecting on).

I would say that for a really good setup and going with some used components to save money, your talking a few thousand minimum. Otherwise, the picture is simply not going to be that great. Remeber, you are putting a standard def signal and blowing it up really big. What looks good on a 28" CRT will not necessarily look that great on 80". The larger the screen size, the more apparent video artifacts will become. Also, you room has to have 100% control of lighting. Projector setups are great, but even small light leakage ruins the picture. I am a big fan of projectors and I use a 150" screen. At the same time, I am well aware of the limitations if not properly set up correctly. It's not for everybody.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]