It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:43

Page 3 of 4 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: CRT
PostPosted: 19 May 2015, 04:35 
sdraper wrote:
I'm still having an issue with my newer Sony Wega Trinitron 32" crt. When I got it and plugged it in, the image was severely tilted to one side. I fixed this with the menu tilt correction, but ever since there has been a slight artifact running on the left edge, that is either just a black area as if on an improperly keystoned projector-and sometimes it has a slight color to it like blue.
I've tried moving speakers etc. but nothing seems to work. My previous 36" sony which was 2-3 years older had no issues.

There may be a remote button sequence to access a service menu. If so, there is probably a wider tilt range to play with.

PostPosted: 19 May 2015, 23:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Might need degaussing - there should be a service option for it. Always a good idea to try before messing around with more complex settings.

PostPosted: 20 May 2015, 03:12 
Serious fan
Serious fan

When I get this working (logic board needs a recap) I actually think I will watch at least one movie on it. It's a Trinitron inside, should be a decent picture.

PostPosted: 20 May 2015, 17:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Got my BVM-1454D today. Blacks aren't as good as my PVM but colors, sharpness and contrast is certainly better in my opinion. Sega Saturn looks awesome on it.

PostPosted: 20 May 2015, 20:48 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Wow. That does look good!

HD DVD: HD-A2, HD-XA2, HD-A3, HD-A30, HD-A35, 360x2

PostPosted: 20 May 2015, 21:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Oh yes. I haven't tried any other consoles on it, but my Nes has finally gotten its RGB mod done. It looks excellent on my PVM so I've got some expectations from my BVM too.

PostPosted: 20 May 2015, 23:21 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

nissling wrote:

.....Words can't describe how jelly I am of that Radiant Silvergun. :o

PostPosted: 21 May 2015, 16:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Don't be. There are certainly better games for the console imo. If you're looking for an excellent shooter on the Saturn, I recommend Stellar Assault.

Just gave my RGB modded NES a shot on it. Excellent results as well, and somewhat more stable colors than my PVM in my opinion. Although pictures don't do justice, here's a quick comparison.

BVM-1454D

XRGB-Mini + 50PB660

Both are very comparable but overall I think I prefer the XRGB-Mini. Mainly thanks to slightly sharper picture and larger screen size. Input lag is negligible if a good TV is used. Colors are somewhat better on my BVM though, although differences are marginal imo. Of course both should be seen IRL so don't take these screenshots too serious. Another capture from the BVM.

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 03:54 
True fan
True fan

Sony VPH-1252Q via Panasonic LX-1000U and a Faroudja NRS at 720p.
Not perfect by any means but I like the "looK" of the image better than when I use my LCD projector. Plus the CRT is way more fun to use. :thumbup:
Sorry for the crappy Ipad photos. :oops:

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 04:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Nice to see a CRT projector! I haven't got any experience of one myself though.

I personally use CRT, LCD and plasma. And I like all of them in different ways. I do really like how revealing an LCD display can be. At the same time I find the sharp motion on a plasma to be satisfying as well although dither, banding, ABL and PWM all causes their own problems. The thing I like about good CRTs is the overall natural colors and contrast, but due to the small screen size I'm not comfortable with using it as my primary display although it's a great addition in my setup.

There's one thing, however, I cannot deny with CRTs that I found to be rather outstanding is that whenever you're watching a dark scene the brightness really "get along with it" much better than any plasma or LCD I've ever seen. On a modern display it looks more like the blacks are brightened whereas on a CRT the room you're sitting in will be much darker as the blacks aren't as bright. Of course the reflection in the glass causes problems with blacks as well too but relatively small in comparison to a modern display.

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 12:54 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

The only modern projectors I have seen which do well with LDs are JVC D-ILA(LCOS) and somewhat good are SONY SXRD(also LCOS) projectors. 4K models are out now and I see 1080p models go real cheap lately. CRTs are great but a lot of work. A true enthusiast wouldn't mind I am sure but still alot of work:)

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 22:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Purchased a BVM-20F1J from Japan today, and will probably get an Sony HDM-3830 within a week or two (38" HD CRT at 405lbs) for free. I think I'll sell my PVM as soon as I've got enough pro monitors. :P

PostPosted: 27 May 2015, 09:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The HDM-3830 is awesome, you'll have probably the best HD CRT ever in your house.
And for free even... damn some people are lucky.
I had the HDM-2830 for a couple years (mainly for MUSE) and it was fantastic!

PostPosted: 27 May 2015, 15:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It looks really nice so I'm excited. Not sure if it's possible to get it through any of our doors but I can have it in the garage at least. Only problem will be delivering it. Either I'll ask a strong fellow of mine who usually transport arcade games in his van, or I'll see if I can use my dad's horse trailer. If only my XC70 would've had a 3 centimeters higher trunk it would probably fit perfectly.

PostPosted: 28 May 2015, 11:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just did a side by side comparison with my PVM-14M2MDE and BVM-1454D. I used a Japanese Sega Saturn (with RGB of course) and the following games:

Rockman X3
Street Fighter Zero 2
Tokimeki Memorial Taisen Puzzle Dama

This is a difficult comparison. While there's no discussion that black levels are far superior on the PVM, my BVM offers better contrast otherwise. Everything not black is somewhat more stable and natural on my BVM while the PVM has slightly cooler colors (both were set to D65). Matching settings was very difficult, and overall differences are rather marginal but I think I prefer the BVM. When comparing the stage select screen in Rockman X3, the colors really stood out on it and were a good step ahead. When comparing Street Fighter on the other hand, the two monitors performed with very equal picture. Mainly skin tones were different. But at the end, the two monitors are more equal than different so unless you're using a pair of binoculars at 3" distance you may not care much and just simply enjoy whichever of them because they both look awesome. :)

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2015, 16:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Got my BVM-20F1J today from Japan. An epic package.

Lifting 85lbs makes my back feel worn...

But at least it survived the shipping! :D

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2015, 17:36 
Serious fan
Serious fan

What's the card slot on the top left for?

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2015, 17:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's the control unit. A memory card can be used in order to transfer various settings.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2015, 12:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

nissling wrote:
It's the control unit. A memory card can be used in order to transfer various settings.

hehe what was the price for that in total ? I wouldnt mind having it but I feel it will get little use in my home.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2015, 17:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The monitor was 17500 yen. Very good price for its condition and usage (<7000 hours). Shipping on the other hand was 26000 yen, with TNT Express. Fair considering the weight and delivery time (43kgs, less than one week).

I'd say those reference monitors are only for hardcore gamers or anyone who's into color correction (if you're editing movies, images etc. at professional level). If you're happy with your modern projector or display, then keep it. It's very difficult to find good reference monitors in Sweden at a cheap price so if you're looking to get the best out of your standard definition sources on your modern setup just go for a video processor. I'd say an XRGB-Mini plus a Sony Bravia (i.e. W7-series) beats pretty much all consumer CRT set and several professional ones too. Only BVMs and PVMs are comparable imo (and they look very good indeed), although their original prices were far beyond a modern display and an additional VP.

I don't know what it is but I find it being an amusing hobby to keep on going with those pro-CRTs although I wouldn't use any of them as a primary display.

EDIT: One thing I have to say though is that my PVM has by far the best black levels I've ever seen. Not even Pioneer Kuro has a chance. Blacks aren't everything but it's still really nice to see.

Page 3 of 4 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next