It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:31

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: DPS-290 soft picture
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2014, 11:16 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hi, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this issue I'm having.

I recently purchased a DPS-290 having heard good things about its performance with laserdisc players. However, when I hooked it all up and started calibrating with Video Essentials I noticed the picture is noticeably soft with a lot of ghosting. I am feeding the 290 with the composite from my cld-99 and get the same results with both S-Video and composite out of the 290. This occurs weather noise reduction is on or off and I have also calibrated the Y/C horizontal delay to align the player.

If I feed the 99 directly into my tv or my DVR I get much cleaner and and less muddy results.

Does anyone know of if I may have an incorrect setting at work or is my unit faulty?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: DPS-290 soft picture
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2014, 22:41 
True fan
True fan

Is the "Comb Filter" setting turned ON? This unit reverts to using a band-pass filter (from a 3-line 2D adaptive comb filter) if it's OFF and that will cause a significant loss in resolution in addition to more artifacts (e.g., rainbowing and dot crawl).

Here's a hyperlink to a PDF of the manual if you don't already have it: http://cdn.usedlighting.com/products/fi ... 1f0c09.pdf

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2014, 00:30 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Yes the comb filter is on. Turning if off makes the picture extremely fuzzy. I also have a pioneer DVR-920H which has a 3D comb filter and the picture is far better when passed through and outuput over component. I was hoping to bypass the comb filter in the 290 and just use the noise reduction and TBC but this doesn't seem possible. Thanks for the manual but I was referring to that before posting here.

I'm looking to remove noise from my cld-99 while retaining the sharpness of the picture. The DVR does a great job but the comb filter in my Samsung D8000 tv is fantastic and I want to somehow clean up the picture while using the comb filter in the TV. As the 290 isn't working do you have any suggestions?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2014, 04:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

It's weird that it's causing ghosting. Have you tried turning off the noise reduction in the 99 instead of the 290? Also, have you tried setting the picture adjustments on the DPS-290 to neutral and calibrating with something else in the chain like your TV?

kencol wrote:
I was hoping to bypass the comb filter in the 290 and just use the noise reduction and TBC but this doesn't seem possible.

Have you not tried S-Video in and out of the 290?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2014, 21:59 
Honest fan
Honest fan

With S-Video in and out it bypasses the comb filter in the unit but I was hoping to bypass with the composite out. That way I can let my TV do the combing.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2014, 23:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

kencol wrote:
With S-Video in and out it bypasses the comb filter in the unit but I was hoping to bypass with the composite out. That way I can let my TV do the combing.

It was a little unclear earler when you were talking about turning off the noise reduction, are you talking about the 290 or the 99? I know my CLD-D703 would cause ghosting with its DNR.

Could you post a video of the ghosting?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2014, 20:31 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I've found my CLD-99 has a noticeably softer picture when composite is used- s-vid gives a sharper image. Noise remains the same for me on either, so I set it to NR OFF, that does the trick- it looks great!

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2014, 23:26 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I've figured out that ghosting was being caused by the comb filter in the 290. With NR turned off on both the 99 and 290, feeding the 290 with composite from the 99 and outputting either composite or s-video from the 290 (with the comb filter in the 290 turned on) causes a very soft, ghosty picture.

Circlesky73, it is Interesting to hear your s-video out is sharper than the composite on the 99 as mine is the other way around. Where are you feeding the 99? Directly into a TV or into a scaler first?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 19:40 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The 99 goes into a Panasonic DVD recorder, from there into an iScan HD+. My 290 isn't connected, since the 99 (I've read) does its own color timing.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]