It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:42

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Are Plasma generally better than LCD flat panels for LD?
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2018, 14:45 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

nissling wrote:
substance wrote:
I will likely sell my Pioneer Elite Pro-141FD Signature Edition soon. It is the best TV I have owned but I have invested so much into 4K.

Isn't the 141FD a monitor?

Personally I find it much more depressing that 90% of all sets sold are only used in torch mode, making everything look awful. As a colorist and purist I find it almost offensive.

It is a monitor. No tuner, no audio/speakers, no pedestal or stand. They removed all of these components that would compromise the performance. It was Pioneer’s latest generation flagship model in 60”. Signature version means hand picked panel from the assembly line, hand assembled by one technician and factory break in of 200 hours. You get a nice letter with the engineers signature.

I am the original owner. It was $7000 + tax. I ran break in patterns for another 200 hours before I ever watched anything on this display. I only watched movies on it, no sports or tv with banners or anything. It’s been professionally calibrated each year. I kept all the original box, content etc. never used its remote control as I have a full automation system with serial control. It’s has been plugged into a panamax surge surpresor it’s entire life. I also used a Lumagen Radiance for further calibration for its entire life. I don’t think a cleaner example exists. I will include a BDI stand/pedestal which I paid additional $800. Audioquest power cord ($200). Local pick up only from Shrewsbury, MA

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 14:30 
Second post
Second post

I feel, Plazma is far better than LCD tv, I feel like live with our new plazma tv while watching live football match telecast.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2019, 18:19 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I picked up a Pioneer PRO940HD 42" 1024x788 plasma for about $125 at a Salvation Army while hunting for LDs. I was amazed at just how good my CLD-D406 looked via composite in. I was blown away at how natural it looked and how much detail there was. The bedroom set up now rivals the main room.

PRO940HD Features:

Pure Drive II Signal Processing – Full time 10-bit Digital Video Processing

Advanced Pure Cinema with 3:3 pull down so that film-based material on DVD, videotape or even regular TV will match the smooth and natural reproduction seen in a movie theater (72Hz)

It also has a fantastic 3D Comb Filter with adjustments as well as options for setting Color Space, CTI, and a host of other features/enhancements.

ISFccc Calibration Ready for professional customization of plasma picture according to personal preferences for contrast, tint, color as well as room conditions for day and nighttime viewing. Includes new independent RGB Gamma Control.

Independent HDMI Inputs (10-bit Processing) with the Ability to Accept a 1080p/24Hz Signal

Aspect Ratio Control – 6 positions (Wide/Zoom/Cinema/Full /4:3/“Dot by Dot” for PC only)

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 01:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Must be a fairly high end plasma for that price at Salvos, that's around $180aud.
We generally sell large plasma sets for around $100aud max ($70usd) at work but plenty are cheaper than that because the power usage is significant, they generate heat, are heavy/bulky and are only 720p or 1080i sets.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 02:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Certain areas price stuff well and others are stupid.
Like here where I live now Goodwill is for s**t, they charge stupid prices on junk, that plasma would have been priced at around 500.
They have stuff you can buy at the dollar store used and priced for 5 bucks, just a total rip off.

Salvation would be cheaper here but not by much, I think the same person goes around pricing stuff for all the thrift stores in this area so they are the same
and nobody makes any money for their donations and it just sits there.

From personally owing an LED I would just pickup whatever set you are looking for and make sure you can return it if its not good for LD or whatever old you are
playing through it.

On another note I was told years ago that plasmas were the best for LD but I think its changed due to technology improving.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 03:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

There are so many Plasma displays with very odd resolutions and handling of various resolutions. If you get a great one for what you want it for, they really are sublime but there are many bad ones too. The one I have can technically take in 1080p (and then downconvert) for instance but it's awful.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2020, 01:00 
Honest fan
Honest fan

PDP-V402

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA ... a/PDP-V402

It's a past model, but I think it's interesting

I have a 4:3 display
It's 40 inches plasma driven

640x480 input

Seems best for DVD
What about LD?

What do you guys think?