It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 04:34

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Onkyo TX-NR626 HDMI Handshake Issues with Laserdisc
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2014, 09:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I recently had to replace my AV amp and went for the Onkyo TX-NR626. It's a great amp that really brings out the best of any audio I plug in and the upscaler does jaw dropping work with laserdisc but I've encountered a minor but annoying problem.

My DVL 919E is plugged into the AV through the composite input and then outputted to the TV via HDMI. Everything works fine until I use a trick play feature on a CLV disc or switch disc sides, in both cases I'm shown a digitized still while the operation completes but when the video resumes normal play the AV and TV start the HDMI handshake again and I spend roughly 4 seconds with no video.

I remember reading somewhere that this may be because the LD player isn't sending a continuous signal during trick play and so when the normal signal resumes it triggers a new HDMI handshake.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to avoid it?

Thanks for any help :)

Post subject: Re: Onkyo TX-NR626 HDMI Handshake Issues with Laserdisc
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 05:38 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I do get a bit of delay between video coming up on the screen with when switching modes for other players of a few seconds. Other AVR I have owned and still own, was lot faster at responding with the video switching. I've gotten used to mine. You might have to get used to yours but yes its annoying.

I haven't seen any of he other issues with jog shuttle and when switching sides it all looks normal on my, Onkyo TH SR-875.

I guess setting your Onkyo, back to factory settings might not clear the issue?
Press buttons (Standby and VCR/DVR) at same time, restores back to factory settings with word CLEAR on the display screen.

Upscale is great on it makes Laserdisc worth watching more and more. :)

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 09:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thanks for the reply, Laserbite. I agree, the upscaling and deinterlacing that Onkyo provide are great, even when zooming a letterboxed image.

I'm starting to think that the HDMI issues could possibly be on my TV's side. The TV is ironically the weakest part of my home cinema setup but it's still going and works fine so no need to replace it yet. The problems aren't really that bad, just a little bit annoying, but I can certainly live with them considering all the advantages I get from the Onkyo.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2014, 13:24 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I have the same issues on my TX-NR818 on occasion. I can turn the TV off and on, and it'll pick up the signal again. But if I go to another video path, then back to LD, all is fine again. This happens rarely, maybe once every ten days. I think it's just my TV personally, it never happens with BD.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]