It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:24

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Freecycle freebie LCD
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2014, 21:08 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Someone a few streets away offered a 32" LCD TV on my local freecycle this afternoon. So I asked for it, thinking I had the usual snowball's chance in hell... and ended up collecting it this evening. Just set it up with an old freeview (Digital terrestrial TV) box in my bedroom, it's working pretty well. It's an oldish model but the specification is reasonable for its day. I think it's this one, but it might be an earlier one from the same manufacturer so I can't guarantee the specification is right.

http://www.inest.co.uk/products/Crown_3 ... _Input.asp

1366 X 768 Resolution, Brightness 500 Cd/m², Contrast Ratio 600:1 - so not incredibly bright and the contrast is a bit wishy-washy, but it's certainly good enough for occasional use in my bedroom. Especially considering the TV set it's replacing is 15"!

VERY pleased! Now considering putting my spare laserdisc player up there...

Post subject: Re: Freecycle freebie LCD
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 04:07 
True fan
True fan

Very cool ffutures, free stuff is awesome and free stuff that works is awesomely awesome. :thumbup: :clap:

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 10:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I nearly bought one a couple of weeks ago, but decided I really couldn't justify it for such infrequent use. Now VERY glad I waited.

Decided not to put the laserdisc player up there, it's single sided and I don't want to keep having to get out of bed to change over, I'll just have to find a cheapo DVD - the old TV had one built in, this one doesn't.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2014, 17:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

So I went shopping for a cheap DVD player, and ended up with a Funai DVD recorder for £10, about $17. Annoyingly it's region locked to R2, so I won't be able to play some US TV series etc. in bed - tried looking for hack codes but no luck at all - but at that price I can live with it. I have four other multi-region players (including a TV with built-in player, another recorder, and my Blu-Ray player) so I can watch them in two other rooms.

I think this says something about how fast the perceived value of DVD is dropping - a few years ago a recorder like that would have probably sold around the £50 mark.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]