It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 09:43

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Money cant buy LD quality (Projector upgrade)
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 00:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

So I currently use an Optoma HD200X projector on a 110 inch screen. Think I had it for 3 years, something like that. When I bought it, it was the first fullhd projector (real brand) under 1000 euro. Now I was very pleased by it, good buy. But then a few months later my dad bought an BENQ W6500, this cost a little more then 4x what I paid.

I still remember when I saw it, the black levels are so much blacker on his, mine was white if comparing. Since that day I regret I didnt buy an more expensive one. But for ps3 it was more then good.

But last week, my dad called and asked if I want it becouse they are going back to tv, they have to small living room. So now I finally had this real movie projector in my hands. I havent actually set up anything since I moved to a house becouse I am doing a new floor and was planning to have a cinema room up there, but now when I had this "new" projector I suddenly felt I couldnt wait another year. So, one hot day later everything is mounted and I starting it with an LD, live concert. I first thought something is wrong, why is it so grainy. After I while Im starting to think that this is how it is. Some wierd s**t is going on, almost like its a mask net all over the picture. Looks kind of colored dots on the colors.

So my first thought was that how couldn't I remember that it looked that bad. The more I tried to config some picture options the more I felt that it cant been this bad on my old projector. Down in the basement, digging up my old one, that I almost thrown away, plugged it on on the floor, and started the same ld. Its like 2 different formats, ok the colors are unstable like all lds, but the picture is clean, its like day and night on these 2 projectors.

Though choice here, lds with the better projector is unwatchable as it is now. Does anyone know what might be causing it ? Im running it throw my Kardon AVR 260, everything is the same except the projector. Major disappointment for me.

of course people refuse even watching an ld if it looks like it does on this 4000 euro projector. I wonder if its this one that is extremely or my old that is extremely good.

One thing I find weird is that my AVR 260 actually upscale the picture and sending it over HDMI, so the projector actually make this now digital picture extremely bad. I will see if I can take a photo, but maybe someone here know what this is.

Post subject: Re: Money cant buy LD quality (Projector upgrade)
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 02:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

can you or did you try the yellow video straight into the projector.
I think the issue you are getting is from the up-conversion with the receiver into the projector.

my projector gives a great image with S-Video or yellow composite video straight from player to projector with nothing inbetween.
also make sure all NR is turned off or set low, my LED television doesn't like composite with any noise reduction, or rather I should say I don't like it LOL

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 09:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
I think the issue you are getting is from the up-conversion with the receiver into the projector.

my projector gives a great image with S-Video or yellow composite video straight from player to projector with nothing inbetween.
also make sure all NR is turned off or set low, my LED television doesn't like composite with any noise reduction, or rather I should say I don't like it LOL

I will try, didnt have long enough cable. But its wierd that my old projector didnt have any problem with the hdmi signal, only the new one, but its worth a try.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 11:45 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:

Found an composite cable. Now its better then my old one, looks like dvd did on my old one, actually quiete stunning picture. Now I feel much better to trade. But why does the projector destroy the hdmi signal and not the composite signal ? Ive tried to remove as much as I can but no result.

The thing is that if my reciever scale the picture, and sending it with hdmi signal, then why does the projector process that signal ?

I guess its no big deal but it would be nice to not have 2 cables running throw my whole room, hehe.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 16:35 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I don't really know the true answer but it has something to do with the amp and the projector and the HDMI.
I had an issue when I connected my LD to the TV and then I figured out to change settings and connect a different way.

also had an issue with my projector, I was going straight from the LD to the projector with S-Video and was getting a great image.
then I moved and was sitting closer to the screen and it was horrible looking.

I figured out that I had settings on the projector to remove nose etc and it was messing up the image, so I turned all of them off or down
and then the image looked great again.

same with my LED television, going straight with composite and saw lots of artifacts in the background, once I turned off all NR and such it
was a much better image, almost 95% like a CRT or some discs even better.

too many people here are using these upscalers etc and they are not getting the correct image, if they would try to just
do the basic thing they would see all these other devices in the chain are mucking up the image.

it took me a long time to break down and try the composite but i'm so glad I tried it.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2014, 13:34 
Serious fan
Serious fan

^^^ I agree fully with you. I shut off all the NR in my receiver and laserdisc player and the result is a nice, bright, colorful image with little to no noise. More and more in the last few months I'm finding others who do the same thing, or at least are talking about it. It's funny that NR is supposed to fix the very issue it's creating. Less is indeed more here.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2014, 02:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I agree that a straight line composite feed from the LD directly to a HDTV looks great if you properly calibrate the picture settings and disable DNR and other processing features. I myself was getting a great image already, however I always had to compromise and watch Laserdiscs stretched to 16:9 because the HDTV I'm using doesn't have any zoom modes to fill my screen. I bought a DVDo iScan HD+ for that reason. Now I can zoom in to my letterbox discs with the added bonus of upscaling to 1080i.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2014, 09:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yea, I plugged it straight to the projector, picture 10 times better. I was unable to watch connected to the reciever first.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2014, 14:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

now I want to add, if your receiver had S-video and your projector had S-video you wouldn't get any of the above issues.
but you will still have to change picture setting if your receiver has NR or anything like that.

your case has to do with the HDMI and the change that the picture is getting from the receiver/projector combo due to upscaling or other.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2014, 15:46 
Serious fan
Serious fan

HDMI upconversion can be weird. I have a Samsung VR-357 DVD recorder/VCR combo. I had the Panasonic DMR-E20 on a second TV set with the Samsung being used in the main setup. I had it set to output at 480i because 1080i was bad, streaking and a way too soft image, and the colors were very weak. 720p only added more noise than 480i had. I started to have trouble with the 357's DVD recorder not recognizing a disc or just not finalizing correctly (as an aside, avoid this model- it seems everyone has trouble with the lasers- this was my second laser in it). I put the Panasonic back and noise went away and the image is beyond stellar now- almost no chroma noise, haloing is gone and the image is sharper with more detail. And, I put my JVC SVHS deck in the main system and it rocked the heels off the 357's VHS quality.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]