It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:51

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: TV Stands with VESA fitting
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2014, 15:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

A while ago I was given a 32" LCD TV which has one problem - it wobbles on its base because the plastic is damaged where the base fits into the rest of the TV. I've put some strategic bits of lego in place to make it lean back slightly rather than forward, but if the plastic cracks more it may fall off altogether or break in some other way.

What I'd like to do is put this onto a wide VESA support, but it isn't possible to screw it to a wall - it's an attic bedroom and the wall on that side is actually the roof, which slopes - so I'm looking for something like a stand with an upright that has this type of mounting bracket. Ideally I'd like to be able to swivel it sideways about 30 degrees to face the head of the bed.

Can anyone recommend a brand of stand that works like that, with room for some equipment in the base? Or alternatively a table-top stand with this fitting that isn't ridiculously expensive? Availability in the UK would be a plus, of course!

Post subject: Re: TV Stands with VESA fitting
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2014, 02:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I would look into metro shelving, or wire shelving.
very strong and you can add wheels.
other thing is just put a piece of wood under the front of the TV so it keeps it in place.
like a stick etc.

good luck.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2014, 05:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I actually recently got a 47" secondhand (about 36 pounds) that didn't come with a base and picked up this universal VESA stand by Atlantic. It doesn't swivel, but I just have it on a turntable. the left and right side are two seperate pieces and there are a ton of holes, screw sizes and lengths so it should work for near any size TV. Also, it looks flimsier in the picture than it does in person.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2014, 16:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
I would look into metro shelving, or wire shelving.
very strong and you can add wheels.
other thing is just put a piece of wood under the front of the TV so it keeps it in place.
like a stick etc.

The latter is more or less what the Lego is doing - I have a long strip that fits between the stand and the bottom of the actual TV and stops it rocking forward.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2014, 17:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

naiaru wrote:
I actually recently got a 47" secondhand (about 36 pounds) that didn't come with a base and picked up this universal VESA stand by Atlantic. It doesn't swivel, but I just have it on a turntable. the left and right side are two seperate pieces and there are a ton of holes, screw sizes and lengths so it should work for near any size TV. Also, it looks flimsier in the picture than it does in person.

Unfortunately the only UK price I can find for that so far is £109, about $175! It's completely crazy, I can only assume there is no UK distributor. But it gives me a starting point, there might be something else like that around.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2014, 16:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Turns out the Atlantic stand is available shipped from the USA around £37 - not sure why there isn't a British equivalent at something more like the US price, but it's better than nothing. I'm going to look at some DIY ideas first, but that's a definite possibility if they don't pan out.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2014, 23:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

This is the eBay listing I got mine from. It doesn't list the Atlantic name in the listing itself, but it appears to be the same thing as the Amazon listing. There's a bunch of listings just like it on ebay.com (there didn't seem to be any on ebay.co.uk though). It might be worth seeing if any of them will ship to the UK.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2014, 03:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

sorry, I didn't know what the vesa was and just really saw the lego in the posting.
good luck on getting what you need for your set.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2014, 19:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

naiaru wrote:
This is the eBay listing I got mine from. It doesn't list the Atlantic name in the listing itself, but it appears to be the same thing as the Amazon listing. There's a bunch of listings just like it on ebay.com (there didn't seem to be any on ebay.co.uk though). It might be worth seeing if any of them will ship to the UK.

Thanks - I'll take a look.

Later - unfortunately they are working out more expensive than the £37 I found on ebay UK.

Last edited by ffutures on 27 Sep 2014, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2014, 19:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
sorry, I didn't know what the vesa was and just really saw the lego in the posting.
good luck on getting what you need for your set.

No worries - I tend to use the term VESA because I've come into this from a computer background, where the term is used quite often. For example, the monitor I'm using now has been put onto a VESA stand (rather than its original base) so that I can easily turn it round to portrait mode when I'm laying out documents for publication as PDFs.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2014, 01:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I found this, which is closer to what I originally had in mind and works out at about $32.50 including delivery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301023977416

I've seen something similar used with big computer displays, should be fine for my purposes.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 16:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

ffutures wrote:
I found this, which is closer to what I originally had in mind and works out at about $32.50 including delivery.

I've seen something similar used with big computer displays, should be fine for my purposes.

Well, spoke too soon...

This arrived today, and I started assembling it, and it is a very good stand, well made and should be very strong.

Only one problem... the "bolt holes" at the back of the TV looked right when I took a quick look a few days ago, but when I checked the bolt fittings they turned out to be smooth indentations in the moulding - on a proper VESA-enabled TV they would be threaded metal sockets embedded in the plastic. I think that it might be possible to glue in suitable sockets with resin adhesive, but I really have no idea how strong the plastic is. It would be stupid to do this then have the plastic break under the strain.

So at the moment it looks like this is not going to work - I'll contact the TV manufacturer and ask for advice, if I can find them, but I think I'm going to have to settle for the existing base and hope that it doesn't break more than it already has.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 08:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

ffutures wrote:
ffutures wrote:

Well, spoke too soon...

This arrived today, and I started assembling it, and it is a very good stand, well made and should be very strong.

Only one problem... the "bolt holes" at the back of the TV looked right when I took a quick look a few days ago, but when I checked the bolt fittings they turned out to be smooth indentations in the moulding - on a proper VESA-enabled TV they would be threaded metal sockets embedded in the plastic. I think that it might be possible to glue in suitable sockets with resin adhesive, but I really have no idea how strong the plastic is. It would be stupid to do this then have the plastic break under the strain.

So at the moment it looks like this is not going to work - I'll contact the TV manufacturer and ask for advice, if I can find them, but I think I'm going to have to settle for the existing base and hope that it doesn't break more than it already has.

You're saying the threads in the TV's VESA screw holes are plastic instead of metal? What model TV is it, BTW (out of curiosity)?

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 21:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

No - they are recesses in the casing and LOOK like they are holes for bolts, at the places where I'd expect to see VESA fittings and looking about right for an 8mm bolt, but when I originally looked (unfortunately in poor light) I just thought "OK, there are bolt holes there," measured the width and height between the holes, and didn't actually probe them. It turns out that they are simply smooth recesses about half an inch deep with no thread at all - I think they're just spacers between the back of the casing and the electronics. Since I got the TV free I have no reason to complain, it's my own fault.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2014, 05:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Sold the stand yesterday - got a couple of pounds less than I originally paid for it, which isn't too bad.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]