It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:49

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Breaking in a new CRT and proper calibration
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2014, 23:33 
True fan
True fan

Finally I went out and got a new CRT to replace my ailing old 36" Sony monster. It's a 32" Sony Trinitron wega KV-32FS320
The picture is marvelous but I think slightly more revealing of LDs source defects. I can detect tiny bits of noise in the picture where I couldn't before. Would it be time to go for a tbc or DVD recorder?

How do you guys go about setting up a new CRT for your formats? I've fiddled around with every setting using Video Essentials, A Video Standard and then VE via component for DVD, the old THX optimizer and still find myself swapping between the four presets I made using these. And what was really odd was that when I fired this baby up, the screen was tilted at an angle for some strange reason. Thankfully there was a tilt correction, but this leaves slight angles on the edges when I play video games etc.

Post subject: Re: Breaking in a new CRT and proper calibration
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2014, 23:39 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Yeah, Video Essentials for LD and DVE for DVD.

LD looks great on my CRT (40" XBR Sony WEGA), but it does vary a bit from player to player. The TV has a damn good 3D comb filter but when I tried my CLD-R7G on it, the player looked better through the player's S-Video connection than the composite. However, when using my Runco LJR-I through composite, the picture is amazing.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2014, 00:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Sounds like you need to (carefully) dive into the service menu to fully calibrate the tube itself, then use VE to calibrate brightness/sharpness/contrast/etc once that's done.

Also it only has a 3-line 2D comb filter, so you may benefit from a DVD recorder, or a DPS-290/475/etc.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2014, 19:53 
Serious fan
Serious fan

just remember that different laserdiscs have special different levels required. I personally have three different laerdisc settings on my tele, one for japan, one for old pal/ntsc and one for new ntsc/pal......different manufacturers I find use different settings, and plus it depends on when the laserdisc was released, if it was remastered or not. Most laserdiscs that are from the 85-95 use the same setting, but there is always a flaw in one films transfer, ie weak black levels, faded colours, strong reds or too much sharpening applied....but setting a general gives a less stressfull approach, the start up screen usually tells me how strong the black levels are then I find the one setting that best suits to that intial screen and disc and use it, 90% of the time, it looks like the original negative with deep blacks and great balanced picture. Again I use one setting for the japanese and some recent ntsc releases, another setting for releases before 1986 for both pal and ntsc, and another for films released 1986 until 2001 for both the ntsc and pal.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]