It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:59

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best way to hookup my new LD / Sony LED
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2015, 19:52 
Hi

Been reading up on this forum about scalers and line doublers and how to get the best picture out of your LD.
Some questions:

I just got a DVL-909 that can play both NTSC/PAL (only got NTSC LD's though).
I got a fairly new Sony LED 40w705cb that has a limited number of inputs.. (except a lot of hdmi :D )

My LD player has a scart out, if I hook it up via scart will that be the same as composite out?
    I can quite clearly see interlaced picture on some LD's I have, will any line doubler fix this issue or is there are some more suited for the job?
    Are there any combined line doublers/scalers or are they always "separate" units?

I've also started looking at scalers, there seems to be a lot of different ones out there. There are also some basic scart -> hdmi converters(?) to buy here in Sweden. As I understand most scalers from for example DVDO will still improve the picture quality from my LD to my Sony LED..

thnx in advance, great forum! :geek:

//D

Post subject: Re: Best way to hookup my new LD / Sony LED
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2015, 02:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I had some questions to people here on the forum when I first signed up, I think It was publis.
anyway wish I didn't bother him with it.

best thing for you is to connect and see if you like the picture, if not then read up on some devices.
the most important thing to remember is that you MUST adjust your sharpness and other settings on your new set.
you may even have to turn off some or all video enhancements.

good luck.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2015, 03:42 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Welcome to the forums. Someone (probably from your side of the pond) will chime in regarding your question about scart.
My recommendation is that you pick up a copy of Video Essentials on LaserDisc. That will help you adjust your TV (and any future scaler, doubler, etc) for LD.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2015, 05:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

dashel wrote:
My LD player has a scart out, if I hook it up via scart will that be the same as composite out?[/list]

I think so if you're playing LDs on it. Since it can also play DVDs, it's very likely that it can output RGB through SCART with DVDs but I haven't used any of the DVL units myself.
dashel wrote:
I can quite clearly see interlaced picture on some LD's I have, will any line doubler fix this issue or is there are some more suited for the job?

There's a major difference in line doubler, deinterlacer and scaler. I'll try to explain it to you.

Line doubler - Just what it sounds like, it doubles the lines.
Deinterlacer - Processes the interlaced picture to appear progressive. Generally gives much better results than linedoubling when it comes to 480i and 576i.
Scaler - Scales the signal to whichever resolution you've selected.
dashel wrote:
Are there any combined line doublers/scalers or are they always "separate" units?

Yes, those are usually refereed to as video processors. I've got some over if you're interested... ;)

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2015, 09:28 
Quote:
Welcome to the forums. Someone (probably from your side of the pond) will chime in regarding your question about scart.
My recommendation is that you pick up a copy of Video Essentials on LaserDisc. That will help you adjust your TV (and any future scaler, doubler, etc) for LD.

Thank you! I'll def. get video essentials. Got the blu-ray one and my set is calibrated for blu-ray and an alternate setting for older stuff like my ps2, LD and so on but the LD setting probably needs to be adjusted further.

Quote:
There's a major difference in line doubler, deinterlacer and scaler. I'll try to explain it to you.

Line doubler - Just what it sounds like, it doubles the lines.
Deinterlacer - Processes the interlaced picture to appear progressive. Generally gives much better results than linedoubling when it comes to 480i and 576i.
Scaler - Scales the signal to whichever resolution you've selected.
dashel wrote:

Yes, those are usually refereed to as video processors. I've got some over if you're interested... ;)

Thanks for the info, and that sounds interesting! - I'll send u a PM 8-)

//D

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]