It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:31

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: DPS-290 questions.
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2015, 12:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Just picked up a DPS-290 on ebay and I have a few questions -

1. Fan noise wow, is it ok to just disconnect fan? I would rather replace with something MUCH quieter, does anyone know what size it takes?

2. Comb filter, how good is it? I have only played around for a bit but I don't seem to notice a difference between using the DPS-290 comb filter vs using the comb filter on my DMR-ES15 DVD Recorder?

3. Can anyone explain some of the settings? Some things are obvious but I have no idea what to do with Y/C horizontal control, vertical blanking, burst status, doc status, advanced sync, Y/C vertical delay or VITS Comb Control. I have read the manual and know how to change these but no idea what they should be set to?

4. Where in the chain do most people use these? Right now I have DVL-90 composite --> DPS-290 Svideo --> Key Digital Scaler HDMI --> TV but I also tried DVL-90 composite --> DPS-290 composite --> DMR-ES15 Svideo -->Key Digial Scaler without seeing much of a difference, am I putting it in the right spot?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Post subject: Re: DPS-290 questions.
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2015, 20:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

A lot of those questions are answered in this thread: Let's hear it for the Leitch DPS-290

But:
Quote:
1. Fan noise wow, is it ok to just disconnect fan? I would rather replace with something MUCH quieter, does anyone know what size it takes?

You can disconnect it if you have good airflow around it, otherwise get a new quieter fan. Diameter is written on the fan.
Quote:
2. Comb filter, how good is it? I have only played around for a bit but I don't seem to notice a difference between using the DPS-290 comb filter vs using the comb filter on my DMR-ES15 DVD Recorder?

The DPS-290 has a very good 2D comb filter. It's good but won't beat out a properly implemented 3D comb filter. FWIW 3D filters spend a lot of time in 2D mode in video anyway.
Quote:
3. Can anyone explain some of the settings? Some things are obvious but I have no idea what to do with Y/C horizontal control, vertical blanking, burst status, doc status, advanced sync, Y/C vertical delay or VITS Comb Control. I have read the manual and know how to change these but no idea what they should be set to?

Just leave all that at default. You may have to adjust Y/C delay if your player has a slight mismatch between luma and chroma.
Quote:
4. Where in the chain do most people use these? Right now I have DVL-90 composite --> DPS-290 Svideo --> Key Digital Scaler HDMI --> TV but I also tried DVL-90 composite --> DPS-290 composite --> DMR-ES15 Svideo -->Key Digial Scaler without seeing much of a difference, am I putting it in the right spot?

If you're using a scaler, it should go right before the scaler. S-Video out of the DPS-290 into scaler

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]