It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:10

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Would you recommend buying a rolled projector screen?
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2016, 23:57 
does anyone on this forum have a rolled projector screen like the one in the bottom ebay link?
i'm thinking of buying one, but all the negative feedback given from buyers to various chinese ebay sellers puts me off buying such screen!?
sellers on ebay are from china but scams buyers to believe they are based in europe and they usually have poor customer service.

i have only space for a rolled screen which i can remove when not in use, would you say it's a good compromise quality wise for it's cheap pricetag?
i know that most chinese products are crap, this screen is it crap?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-inch-16-9 ... Swu4BVzYuk

Post subject: Re: Would you recommend buying a rolled projector screen?
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2016, 05:47 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

My screen is rolled on a tripod made by Da-lite.
Not cheap but under 150.00

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2016, 10:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The auction you linked is a bit on the cheap side.
For quality screen you should spend some more money, like rein-o mentioned.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2016, 16:03 
i have no space to bolt a manual/motorized screen to the wall.
my only solution is to buy a rolled screen, which i can remove when not in use.
i know these are low quality but hopefully they show picture in OK quality?

setting up everything at home will be a compromise for me as i have no space to play with these toys

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2016, 00:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yo Bro pay some attention and wipe the eyes so you can read.

check these out, I guess I have to do everything for you, should I buy it for you also HAHAHAHAHA

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=da-lite+tripod+screen&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

get a 4:3 or a 16:9

I own a 4:3 and can open it a little less to make it 16:9

you choose bro :|

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2016, 20:29 
i buught a screen for 16 pounds, have to test what they go for.
you get what ya pay for is the motto they say.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 01:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Check out Elite Screens. They are not that expensive but good quality.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 11:08 
still waiting for my package from China, hopefully it won't be all crap?????
but then i also have to buy a projector.

i called a shop yesterday asking for panasonic pt-at6000, this is a full HD projector.
seller told me if i hook up my LD-players to this Panny i will get crappy picture from LD since Panny is a full HD projector, all defects in LD picture will be revealed as gunk because this is a low resolution media.
now i have to find a non full HD projector for LD use

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 12:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

carlosthejackal wrote:
still waiting for my package from China, hopefully it won't be all crap?????
but then i also have to buy a projector.

i called a shop yesterday asking for panasonic pt-at6000, this is a full HD projector.
seller told me if i hook up my LD-players to this Panny i will get crappy picture from LD since Panny is a full HD projector, all defects in LD picture will be revealed as gunk because this is a low resolution media.
now i have to find a non full HD projector for LD use

I use a large projector screen (150"). He is absolutely correct. A large screen will bring out all the defects of the picture. It is crucial to have a really good scaler if you want to enjoy LD on a large projector screen.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 13:55 
isn't a scaler built in the projector which can be used?
isn't there any projector tweaks in the menu for media like LD/S-vhs with inferior picture quality?

i'm not into scalers or line doublers and projectors therefore i'm very ignorante about this
screen i bought was a 100" screen
would this line doubler help improving picture qualität if i use a full HD projector?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Line-Doubler-DVD ... Cnv2dXBwvw

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 14:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

carlosthejackal wrote:
isn't a scaler built in the projector which can be used?
isn't there any projector tweaks in the menu for media like LD/S-vhs with inferior picture quality?

screen i bought was a 100" screen

Yes there is a scaler built into all projectors (and TV's as well). Uniformly, they are pretty horrendous. They use the absolute cheapest chips they can buy on the market. This makes sense as most people don't really care about the scaling chips as they are viewing native 1080p content to begin with so there is no scaling happening. The rest don't care,... and then there are the super minority(us) that are trying to get the best picture out of standard def content. There is a good reason why a high end scaler costs more than most TV's you will find at walmart. If you don't want to buy a high end scaler, you may want to look into buying a used receiver with a good scaler. I would not recommend anything less than the top 1 or 2 models of a manefacturer however, anything lower and again they probably went really cheap on the scaler chips.

I use an Onkyo TX-SR875 receiver with a Reon-HQV™ HD video scaler chip. It's an older receiver but they put a great scaler chip in there. Matter of fact, when you go to the Onkyo product page, they list 4 features on the main page, and the scaler is number one on the list. That kind of tells you something. Granted it's a $2k reciever, but when it comes to scaling LD to a large screen, you really need a great scaler or the picture just looks horrendous. If money is an issue, look on the used market.

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-SR875&class=Receiver

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 15:24 
don't have space for a surround amp with built in scaler.
have to buy something smaller unit.

there are lots of versions of DVDO iScan processors on eBay, they fetch high pricetags for used scalers
buying only a line doubler won't do much, i guess?

maybe something like this would be a good investment?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVDO-iScan-VP50 ... SwMmBVwjZQ

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 15:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

carlosthejackal wrote:
don't have space for a surround amp with built in scaler.
have to buy something smaller unit.

there are lots of versions of DVDO iScan processors on eBay, they fetch high pricetags for used scalers
buying only a line doubler won't do much, i guess?

maybe something like this would be a good investment?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVDO-iScan-VP50 ... SwMmBVwjZQ

Are you not using a receiver now? You wouldn't necessarily need more space, just replace your current receiver.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 15:39 
i'm only using 2 channel stereo amplifier for stereo sound, i have no A/V surround amp.
don't really wanna buy a receiver as i invested good money in a full NAIM stereo long time ago

i was thinking of buying a dvdo iscan to hook it up to my LD-player and a projector when i get one

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 16:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Don't blame you for not wanting to give up the 2.0 setup. I have a completely separate 2.0 and 7.1 channel setup in my home theater. One for music, one for movies. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. At the end of the day, if you want good LD picture quality on a 100 inch screen, you will need a better scaler than what is built into the projector. But there are options on how to achieve that. Let us know how it turns out either way you go.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 17:30 
getting a projector and a scaler is on my buy list.

without using a scaler, will LD always show crappy picture on a projector even if it's not a full HD projector used as a reproducing source?

thanks for your help

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 17:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The underlying issue is that you are showing an analog standard def picture blown up to a sized screen that the format was really never meant to be shown. In LD's heyday, a 30 inch TV was "big". So just the size is going to bring out all of LD's defects. Now couple that with the fact that you are doing an analog to digital conversion which makes the situation that much worse as you are introducing digital artifacts into the picture as well. On top of that you are planning to use the cheapest projector screen I have every seen. As you can tell, I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. You haven't told us what laserdisc player you are using but if you are looking at $30 screens, it's probably not a high end late model. You won't really see the outcome until you have everything set up, but I find it hard to believe that it's going to be ideal.

Please, do not take these as criticisms. I applaud your efforts and interest (, there are not that many of us left!). I just want to be really honest with my experiences as I have a setup that actually sounds like what you are interested in doing. LD is awesome, but it's not going to look like blu-ray on a big screen. If you have a low end player, no scaler,... it still will look pretty darn good on a 30" Sony WEGA CRT. You start putting the signal on a flat screen, suddenly it doesn't look that great. Blow it up to 100" diagonal screen with a projector without the best equipment,... you may not like what you see.

I guess at the end of the day if you already bought the equipment you can see what it looks like. If you like what you see, it doesn't really matter,.. you're happy and that's all that counts. But I think expectations need to be tempered or you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 18:22 
my setup i'm going to use with the projector is: Pioneer Cld-R7G, Harman/Kardon dvd25, Ixos S-video cables/Supra Component cable

I know that LD and vhs/S-vhs is the worst kind of media used with a projector.
I will have to tweak the picture quality to the best outcome with a projector.
Like you said LD wasn't made for projector use there are limitations with everything, in the US there were back-projection BIIIIG screen tv's when the CRT tv's were sold back in the days.
In Sweden these tv's were NEVER sold at radioshack, maybe as a special order with huge pricetags for movie enthusiasts and for Richie Rich with deep pockets?
We never experianced big screen tv's until 16:9 tv's were reliesed 16-18 years ago.

I don't have high hopes of getting a super-duper picture quality using an LD player with a projector.
It's merely a trial n error test for me.
If I don't like the pic, I will only use my dvd player hooked up to a projector

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 18:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I agree, you should definitely give it a try. The CLD-R7G is a late model player so that is at least a pretty good start. We owned quite a few of the rear projection TV's when I was growing up and even into the 2000's. The picture was actually pretty good and later on when Mistubishi was releasing their large rear laser projection TV's it was really high quality (1080p) that matched the early high def flat screens that were being made. I was a really big fan of the rear-projection sets as you could get a 65 inch set for less than what much smaller plasma and LCD's were selling for.

If the picture is not that great, you can always just zoom the projector in so it's not being blown up to a full 100" diagonal. That's a nice feature of projectors. The smaller you go, the better it will look.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 18:45 
invenio wrote:
I agree, you should definitely give it a try. The CLD-R7G is a late model player so that is at least a pretty good start. We owned quite a few of the rear projection TV's when I was growing up and even into the 2000's. The picture was actually pretty good and later on when Mistubishi was releasing their large rear laser projection TV's it was really high quality (1080p) that matched the early high def flat screens that were being made. I was a really big fan of the rear-projection sets as you could get a 65 inch set for less than what much smaller plasma and LCD's were selling for.

If the picture is not that great, you can always just zoom the projector in so it's not being blown up to a full 100" diagonal. That's a nice feature of projectors. The smaller you go, the better it will look.

we never had the cool fun toys like HI-DEF tv's you had back in the 90's.
europe didn't receive these toys at all, it was only for Japan and US market.

that was my intention, when i buy a projector i will zoom pic to be smaller between 50-85" size on my 100" screen when i use my LD-player.
maybe it will be ok maybe not, doing a testdrive is the only way to know.

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next