It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:59

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Filtering Setup
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2016, 18:14 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hey Guys,

I have been a lurker for a while now but am at the point now where I need some advice on getting a proper filtering chain in place to improve picture quality. I have a VP50 and am looking to move comb filtering off of that and maybe add a little NR while I am at it.

Here is what I am thinking (parts I have on hand):
CLD-D704 -> DPS 575 (used for NR only/NO TBC) -> YCS-100 -> VP50 -> Plasma

Now from what I have read so far the the DPS 575 has pretty good NR, so I would feed the 704's composite to the 575 for NR only. TBC will be turned off due to the resolution reduction that happens when using composite.

Then I would feed the composite out from the 575 to the YCS-100 since it supposedly has a pretty good 2d 5 line adaptive comb filter with a solid TBC as well.

Then finally to the VP50 for de-interlacing and scaling via s-video.

Or maybe one of these chains is better?

CLD-D704 -> YCS-100 -> DPS 575 (NR ONLY) -> VP50

CLD-D704 -> Faroudja NRS/VP-100/LD100 -> DPS 575 (NR/TBC) -> VP50

At the end of the day I can put up with some artifacts, I am just trying to get my scaled imaged to look better, less aliasing, and more stable. Each filter/NR step is going to remove some information so I want to try and ensure that each step in the chain makes sense, and makes it "easier" for the next step in the chain in the hope that less information is removed at each step because the signal is cleaner to begin with.

Post subject: Re: Filtering Setup
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2016, 21:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

In all honesty I am weary of passing the video signal through multiple processing steps. You have noise reduction, upscaling (is this done by the receiver or the TV?). I would try to keep the chain as simple as possible. Figure out which component has the best scaling output and use that. I would also recommend keeping NR off. I use a CLD-97 and have a mod installed specifically to automatically turn NR off. Separate NR will rarely give you a better result when you have a good scaler in the system. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2016, 22:30 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Same as above. I just let the excellent comb filter in my WEGA CRT do all the work and I get great results.

Of course, the WEGA is probably one of the best 4:3 CRTs ever made, so that helps too.

If I were to use a 16:9 HDTV I would probably limit the connections to a DVD recorder with a 3D comb filter.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2016, 23:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Same as above. I just let the excellent comb filter in my WEGA CRT do all the work and I get great results.

Of course, the WEGA is probably one of the best 4:3 CRTs ever made, so that helps too.

If I were to use a 16:9 HDTV I would probably limit the connections to a DVD recorder with a 3D comb filter.

Completely agree with this as well. Get one good scaler in the series, that's all you need. The more conversions the greater the risk of introducing artifacts. Also, putting together 5 mediocre video processing elements does not make the picture look better than 1 good one (, quite the opposite, it will make it worse).

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]