It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:06

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dirt cheap but great s-video cables
PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 17:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Some time back (before the X9) I was for the most part using the s-video output of my LD players.

If you use s-video here are some really good and really cheap cables:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1m-Neotech-S-Video-SVHS-SVideo-Cable-High-Performance-NC2501-RRP-79-99-/222054254013?hash=item33b37705bd

I always thought you really needed two separate cables to do s-video well, or at least it is a good principle to start with. I purchased a few of these of varying lengths (then at $5-$10 each) and was really impressed and surprised at the difference the cable alone made compared to any s-video cable I'd used before.

Even with o/s postage these might still be a good deal and if you're in Australia, especially Melbourne where local pickup is a possibility, an absolute bargain. There's some other good deals to be had there on cables too, though be aware that sometimes this seller has the same product listed more than once and one listing may be a cheaper price than another so do your due diligence!

Last edited by audioboyz1973 on 26 May 2016, 18:47, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Looking for Hi-Vision Discs (MUSE or HDVS).......

Post subject: Re: Dirt cheap but great s-video cables
PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 17:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Another link to the same brand cable:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-NEOTECH-ORIGIN-HIGHEND-OFC-S-VIDEO-TO-S-VIDEO-CABLE-3-0M-RRP89-/222068015135?hash=item33b449001f:m:mrUFRbFLPRnxRTGVAY_425A

Actually this was the seller I purchase from and who sometimes has more than one listing for the same product at different prices. Anyway, do a bit of hunting first, and in the case of the s-video the cable it is at such a low quit price now that the real consideration is only the shipping cost!

PostPosted: 29 May 2016, 01:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I will chime in with another option for those looking for videophile/audiophile quality cables. BlueJeansCable offers some really nice custom cabling. They are not dirt cheap like Chinese imports but they are made in the USA and are custom built to your length/plugs/color/mesh tubing/etc. Better quality than something like monster cable and often even less expensive. Lot of people in the audiophile community really like their cables. Just another suggestion for people looking for something higher up the cable food chain but not crazy 3 (or 4) figure pricing.

PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 20:37 
Honest fan
Honest fan

+1 to invenio

I took his advice and purchased raw cable from bluejeanscable and some basic RCA ends. Little bit of time and solder work later, great quality cables for very little money.

PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 21:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

darkgenerals wrote:
+1 to invenio

I took his advice and purchased raw cable from bluejeanscable and some basic RCA ends. Little bit of time and solder work later, great quality cables for very little money.

Very cool. I also made some custom RCA cables using their raw cable. I put on locking RCA plugs which I really like. They go on loose, and then you screw them lock tight. No wear or stress on the plug or components with taking them on and off and the contact can't be tighter.

PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 23:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Good work guys.

I did the same thing when I needed some good quality and long component video cables for a projector in pre hdmi days and have made up a few sets of RCA and other leads for various things over the years. But $1 s-video leads are hard to beat, and damn those s-video connectors are fiddly to solder!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]