It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 01:51

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: What's your opinion on OLED?
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2016, 21:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

nissling wrote:
For the past few years LG has put down quite some effort in terms of marketing for their line of OLED displays. While OLEDs are favored by some film makers including Francis Ford Coppola, the current models are also considered to be flawed by enthusiasts and video technicians. Now it seems like more companies are interested in getting on the train which is good news indeed although prices may be higher than average for a while considering the difficulties and expenses with production.

So while we're at it, do any of you guys have any experience with OLED? Or any thoughts whatsoever?

Personally I felt like the new B6 series would've been the TV for me but when price dropped on the 55EG910V (European equivalent to 9100) to a mere 13.000 SEK, around 1.500 USD, there wasn't much justifying in paying more than double for a B6 when an equally good or perhaps better display will hopefully be cheaper within the next two years. For this reason I ordered the 910V when I first saw the price drop and less than 12 hours later my old plasma was pretty much out of the house (I gave it to my brother as an early birthday present) and replaced by a TV that I now find being vastly superior. However I'm not without objections but we'll get to that later...

Just to get rid of it all, the blacks are indeed perfect. That is as long as we're walking blacks and not shadow detail. The black levels are at 0.00000nits. There's simply no reflection at all. In other words it's blacker than the blackest plasma so this is one thing that cannot be improved. Here's a picture taken by me of it. I've got a shutter time at 5 seconds, f12 and 100ISO. And yes, the whites are crushed due to the shutter speed.

So if black levels are all that matters for you, an LG OLED is what you should get. However I've never been that much into low blacks to begin with although I'm certainly not complaining on this part. However, I feel like the shadow details easily gets crushed which is indeed an issue. The gamma is probably too aggressive at around 1-3IRE yet lowering it will bring more macroblocking so no matter how you look at it the issue is certainly there more or less at the moment.

As far as uniformity goes, blacks are still perfect. Greys, at circa 5IRE, has some banding but nothing too distracting on my model. I've heard the 920V is worse in this area yet I haven't seen that display myself. Whites do have some slight uniformity issues at test patterns but isn't visible during normal circumstances unless it's a very bright image. The greyscale is tolerable out of the box when ISF mode is selected but thanks to the available settings it may actually have potential to be perfected. As for color temperatures, Warm2 is recommended since it's very close to D65.

Colors are very good and just like on any other LG set we get plenty of settings to play around with. Unlike plasmas there's no dithering or RBE while at the same time we get a color gamut that's clearly superior to any LCD I've seen so far. You get the best of both worlds in other words. Motions are also very good with minimal to no blur. 50p and 60p both look excellent, and 24p is displayed with no major issue. On earlier OLEDs, 24p is reportedly an issue as it's converted to a 3:2 cadence but luckily LG got rid of the issue even on those models with a firmware update.

When it comes to gaming, this is a TV in my taste. When the input is labeled as PC the TV will display the RGB signal properly, leaving out any issues with sub-sampled colors. The XRGB-Mini looks fabulous on this TV, and with proper scanlines the image brings thoughts to the best CRTs without having any of those issues you'd get with one of those. Without looking at the numbers I haven't noticed any kind of latency and I've played Punch Out, Mega Man, Radiant Silvergun and some platform games with no issues whatsoever. The Ps4 also works out excellent with the 910V and gives games like Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Doom 4 and Until Dawn a brand new look. I like this.

There's no such thing as a perfect display and OLEDs are still in early development stages which is still more or less obvious when using one. However, the pros clearly shows us that LG has genuine interest in making something new for us consumers and there's clearly potential in OLEDs. Lacking shadow detail and banding are still issues with our current OLEDs but I hope we'll see some improvement.

I would also like to notice that while I've so far only been adjusting the TV with my own eyes (and plenty of test patterns of course), I'll have a complete calibration of my TV this upcoming Monday by a man with ISF Certificate. I do indeed have quite some hopes for this as a proper calibration will make a vast difference for those who's got eyes for it. Stay tuned! :)

I hope OLED continues to improve and SONY'S IMPROVED LED CHRYSTAL TECH ............. Thank you Nissling a good read

Post subject: Re: What's your opinion on OLED?
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2016, 09:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
Mine is a black 92. Here in the US the MX-5 is super popular. You can find blasted out ones for $800 or totally perfect ones with original tires for $20,000. Condition is everything, but unlike other sports cars it won't cost an arm and a leg to restore one either. They aren't rust prone and parts are really cheap.

Yes same over here, lots out there & some really nice ones for not that much money (if one has it to spend) for what you get - great wee things.

I backed out as I did not have the facilities to keep it as it had been from new dry stored. It does not take that long for the rust worms to do their stuff on "soft-tops" with our rather wet climate here & the car was too nice to end up rotting after a few years due to exposure to the wonderful Scottish elements which would have happened in my hands, perhaps one day but other things have priority now.

Enjoy yours, they drive so like the Lotus Elan without all the Lotus (Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious) problems & running costs - if we had a large shed or a garage by the house an MX-5 would be in it.

Take care & cheers for now.

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3