It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 13:19

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: What's your opinion on OLED?
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2016, 13:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

For the past few years LG has put down quite some effort in terms of marketing for their line of OLED displays. While OLEDs are favored by some film makers including Francis Ford Coppola, the current models are also considered to be flawed by enthusiasts and video technicians. Now it seems like more companies are interested in getting on the train which is good news indeed although prices may be higher than average for a while considering the difficulties and expenses with production.

So while we're at it, do any of you guys have any experience with OLED? Or any thoughts whatsoever?

Personally I felt like the new B6 series would've been the TV for me but when price dropped on the 55EG910V (European equivalent to 9100) to a mere 13.000 SEK, around 1.500 USD, there wasn't much justifying in paying more than double for a B6 when an equally good or perhaps better display will hopefully be cheaper within the next two years. For this reason I ordered the 910V when I first saw the price drop and less than 12 hours later my old plasma was pretty much out of the house (I gave it to my brother as an early birthday present) and replaced by a TV that I now find being vastly superior. However I'm not without objections but we'll get to that later...

Just to get rid of it all, the blacks are indeed perfect. That is as long as we're walking blacks and not shadow detail. The black levels are at 0.00000nits. There's simply no reflection at all. In other words it's blacker than the blackest plasma so this is one thing that cannot be improved. Here's a picture taken by me of it. I've got a shutter time at 5 seconds, f12 and 100ISO. And yes, the whites are crushed due to the shutter speed.

So if black levels are all that matters for you, an LG OLED is what you should get. However I've never been that much into low blacks to begin with although I'm certainly not complaining on this part. However, I feel like the shadow details easily gets crushed which is indeed an issue. The gamma is probably too aggressive at around 1-3IRE yet lowering it will bring more macroblocking so no matter how you look at it the issue is certainly there more or less at the moment.

As far as uniformity goes, blacks are still perfect. Greys, at circa 5IRE, has some banding but nothing too distracting on my model. I've heard the 920V is worse in this area yet I haven't seen that display myself. Whites do have some slight uniformity issues at test patterns but isn't visible during normal circumstances unless it's a very bright image. The greyscale is tolerable out of the box when ISF mode is selected but thanks to the available settings it may actually have potential to be perfected. As for color temperatures, Warm2 is recommended since it's very close to D65.

Colors are very good and just like on any other LG set we get plenty of settings to play around with. Unlike plasmas there's no dithering or RBE while at the same time we get a color gamut that's clearly superior to any LCD I've seen so far. You get the best of both worlds in other words. Motions are also very good with minimal to no blur. 50p and 60p both look excellent, and 24p is displayed with no major issue. On earlier OLEDs, 24p is reportedly an issue as it's converted to a 3:2 cadence but luckily LG got rid of the issue even on those models with a firmware update.

When it comes to gaming, this is a TV in my taste. When the input is labeled as PC the TV will display the RGB signal properly, leaving out any issues with sub-sampled colors. The XRGB-Mini looks fabulous on this TV, and with proper scanlines the image brings thoughts to the best CRTs without having any of those issues you'd get with one of those. Without looking at the numbers I haven't noticed any kind of latency and I've played Punch Out, Mega Man, Radiant Silvergun and some platform games with no issues whatsoever. The Ps4 also works out excellent with the 910V and gives games like Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Doom 4 and Until Dawn a brand new look. I like this.

There's no such thing as a perfect display and OLEDs are still in early development stages which is still more or less obvious when using one. However, the pros clearly shows us that LG has genuine interest in making something new for us consumers and there's clearly potential in OLEDs. Lacking shadow detail and banding are still issues with our current OLEDs but I hope we'll see some improvement.

I would also like to notice that while I've so far only been adjusting the TV with my own eyes (and plenty of test patterns of course), I'll have a complete calibration of my TV this upcoming Monday by a man with ISF Certificate. I do indeed have quite some hopes for this as a proper calibration will make a vast difference for those who's got eyes for it. Stay tuned! :)

Post subject: Re: What's your opinion on OLED?
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2016, 07:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

There was a perfect display made, it was HD wide CRT and I am the proud owner and user of one.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2016, 08:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

And does that have anything to do with this discussion? Nope.

Besides, OLEDs are clearly superior to CRTs. The fat tubes are nice in their own way but haven't really aged well.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2016, 10:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Tell me, nissling, I am using a Pioneer Kuro TV ( 720p ). I am happy with it but I sometimes do not like the glare and the black is showing some reflections as you mentioned in your opening post.
This is extremely noticeable on my TV when a big chunk of the screen is black. One of the things I particularily like about my Plasma is the fact it has many analogue inputs and is working very well with my LD player. That is the main advantage
to me however I am thinking: How are you watching LDs on your new setup and I do not how well it upsacles SD contents to 4K resolution. Can you tell us something about that ?

Besides, should my Kuro stop working one day I would most certainly by an OLED TV. I hate LCD.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2016, 11:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I think you misunderstood me, or I wasn't using the proper terms.

I wasn't talking about reflections in the display caused by the environment, I was talking about the reflection of lights of the actual display. Since image information is always reflected light on a display of some sort, blacks are ideally free of reflection or information (much like how the tube in a CRT simply doesn't draw anything if it's black). As far as anti reflex filtering goes, the OLED is surprisingly strong, even with direct sunlight in the room. Blacks can still give a glare in light environments but you still get the impression of an image with rich contrast and is still fully watchable. CRTs and PDPs are much worse in this aspect.

So far I haven't been using any Laserdiscs on my OLED since all of my video processors (with exception for the XRGB-Mini) are at my friend's place or sold. I'm not much into Laserdisc anymore actually but I can try it out once I get the opportunity, although I wouldn't have any high hopes for its processing of 15KHz through composite... DVDs are okayish at best but it's a very revealing display. Should also note that it's not 4K but 1080p. The 55EG920V is essentially the same display yet 4K. From what I've heard it has more banding in shadow details yet eventually less tint.

Imho the current OLEDs pretty much run over the 9/9,5G Kuros although you may get a different impression. Contrast ratio is clearly superior, equal motions for films (OLEDs are in fact better for 60p) and wider color gamut yet no dither, RBE or posterization. Plus you're able to get 4K and HDR if it's of interest. I'm extremely excited to get it calibrated tomorrow.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 11:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

What happened to Ertoli's post??

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 12:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Maybe he deleted it. Either way he is very welcome to join this discussion.

My OLED was calibrated professionally today to Rec.709/D65 and the results are really great so far. The grey scale was actually rather okayish to begin with but after some adjustments and measurements we managed to get it many steps better. When measuring there's only minor differences in RGB-levels throughout the grayscale and to the human eye it is just fantastic. deltaE is at around 1.2 which is superb for a consumer model, only 2-step white balance needed adjustment. My former settings were certainly too red and now the image is much more natural.

Colors only needed some very minor adjustments to get good, and while not perfect in measuring (although not far from it) they're all very close to each other making the color accuracy very good and doesn't cause any kind of posterization. As for shadow detail we did get rid of the worst black crushes so it's certainly tolerable right now. Finally I won't need to adjust brightness back and forward depending on which film or scene I'm watching. And contrast is also clearly improved.

There's much more to add but I'll need to use my TV a bit more until then. Either way, if you're planning on buying an OLED I highly recommend to look out for calibration options beforehand. Once you know how much it's gonna cost you, you can add it into your budget and then look at the alternatives for a display. One note though, look out for references so you know that the guy you're buying the service from knows what he's up to. In Sweden, Media Markt are with no doubt the cheapest and most easily available alternative if you're looking for something serious.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 13:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Sounds cool Nissling, enjoy.

I think Ertoli's post was along the lines of "CRT>ZT plasma>OLED."

I don't know what ZT plasma is but I agree that CRT is still the king. I mean my friend's Amiga 500 CRT monitor was capable of way over 1080p back in the '80s..it was clearly superior technology that was phased out because of gimicky TVs you could hang on your wall and that cost a lot less (at the severe expense of PQ). Only now, 20 years later, with OLED does it seem that flat panels are reaching close to what CRT was already capable of.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 13:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

He probably means the ZT-series by Panasonic.

However I believe that you are either making something up or are confused if you claim that a CRT for the Amiga 500 is capable of "way over 1080p", as the Amiga 500 was in fact invented before any such HD standards were available in public and by that time the only way to achieve 1080i back then (this was before 1080p or even 720p) was with professional video equipment. The Amiga 500 could at best output a 15KHz signal anyway.

Besides, aren't those old CRTs for home computers rather small? It shouldn't even be a physical possibility to actually show 1080*1920 or higher properly on a 14" CRT. Either way I think you're forgetting that the very best reference CRTs made back in the days didn't have much in common with a 26" set by Magnavox...

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 13:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

You can display a high resolution with expansions. The A1200 can do like 1280x1024 on the AGA chipset and custom drivers in OS3.9, but it does run very hot and you then risk corrupted graphics. Anything above 800x600 it is recommended to expand and use a PCI GFX card. You can run it at 1920x1080 then, but it isn't practical in any way. The OS doesn't compensate for it, so the mouse pointer, text and such looks like it is made for ants. The A500 can't do 1080p, the largest it can do is 1024x768 with expansions.

The Commodore branded monitors could do like 640x512 resolution. Late stuff that came in the 90s could do 1024x768.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 13:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I never said the A500 computer could OUTPUT 1080, I said the monitor it came with was capable of displaying signals far past 1080. He had it rigged up to his Playstation and VHS deck in the '90s. Anime looked amazing on it, we always watched our fansub tapes on it as our monitor of choice.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 14:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

nissling wrote:
...My OLED was calibrated professionally today...

You're lucky. I've tried to get my TV calibrated, but no one seems to offer this service. Even the Hi-Fi store in the city didn't offer this service. Only place I've seen that offer calibration were one of the cheap electronics stores. They do the calibration at the store, which tells me it is a waste of money since it isn't done properly (if they do anything at all, that is). Best I can do now is eyeball some of the settings with test patterns.

I am really interested in OLED, which is probably going to be my next TV. My plasma does have burn-in, so it needs to be replaced... Which brings me to another concern: I've read articles about people that got burn-in on OLED TVs, eventhough LG claims it is impossible. Here is an article (Norwegian). Have you experienced anything like this while you've had the TV, nissling? Downside with OLED is that none of the serious shops sell these TVs, because the technology is still fresh. Could always buy one at the cheap places, but they have no clue about anything. So I need to do some research beforehand on exactly the specific model number I should get.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 15:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
I never said the A500 computer could OUTPUT 1080, I said the monitor it came with was capable of displaying signals far past 1080. He had it rigged up to his Playstation and VHS deck in the '90s. Anime looked amazing on it, we always watched our fansub tapes on it as our monitor of choice.

I still find this very difficult to believe. 1080i/p on a consumer CRT from the 80s is most unlikely that you'll ever see...

samaron wrote:
Only place I've seen that offer calibration were one of the cheap electronics stores. They do the calibration at the store, which tells me it is a waste of money since it isn't done properly (if they do anything at all, that is).

You're reffering to Elkjøp? Their "calibration" isn't any calibration to begin with. All they do is take already finished settings, add them to the TV and then sell it as a "calibrated display". In other words they're not calibrating your TV. On Media Markt you can get the calibration done at store but then it will be a proper one, plus you're always next to the guy doing it so nothing is done behind the scenes. Of course if you're in the actual environment where the TV will be, it's easier to compensate in case there's any kind of issues. However as long as the monitor itself is properly calibrated towards a standard it is still calibrated when you take it home although you may need to adjust the back-light.

The difference between the services of Media Markt and Elkjøp is like Range Rover vs. soapbox car...

samaron wrote:
I've read articles about people that got burn-in on OLED TVs, eventhough LG claims it is impossible. Here is an article (Norwegian). Have you experienced anything like this while you've had the TV, nissling?

When the TV is in standby it will supposedly try to stabilize any eventual image rentention so as long as you're shutting it off properly you will most likely not have an issue. However I've never noticed any signs image retention or burn-ins to begin with. My former plasma always got image retention when watching a film with subtitles or with black bars, I hated it.

samaron wrote:
So I need to do some research beforehand on exactly the specific model number I should get.

Depending on what you want, I'd say the current B6-series is excellent. If you wait for half a year you will most likely pick one up at a reasonable price. If you want 3D the C6 or E6 is your way to go, but the C6 models are curved if that's a deal breaker. In terms of visual capabilites, the B6, C6, E6 and G6 models are pretty much equal in every department.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 16:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Exactly, were thinking the calibration were just some silly settingsadjustment done at the store. I've seen not only Elkjøp offer this, but other places like Expert, Siba, Euronics etc. All the places I asked, no one really seemed to know anything when I asked about training, equipment and such. Got the impression very quick that what they called calibration isn't really one.

It does sound like the current B6 model is what I would want. No retention after watching letterboxed movies or other "static" stuff on the display? Sounds nice! I use the scrolling bar function often on my plasma to clear away retention. It is also the reason I have barely used my PS4 after I bought it at launch, the fear of burn-in.

I don't really want anything larger than 50" since I don't have the space for it, but looks like the smallest screen is 55". Fairly pricey too, looks like they go for 35.000 NOK at the moment. Thankfully I'm not going to pay that, as it was someone else who caused the burn-in on my TV. Curved TVs and 3D isn't really something I care about either.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 16:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

samaron wrote:
No retention after watching letterboxed movies or other "static" stuff on the display?

Not at all. Only time I ever saw any retention was in fact today when we used some test patterns for quite some time and it was extremely weak (impossible to see during normal usage). It went away within 30 seconds and then it was as good as new. Letterboxing doesn't seem to give any kind of effect.

I played MGS V:TPP nearly six or seven hours straight a day last week on the OLED and it hasn't been any issues whatsoever.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 02:24 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

forper wrote:

Well, PlayStation outputs about half of 1080 and VHS puts out about half of what the PS does. Considering you seem to have no source anywhere close to 1080 it would be interesting what you're basing this claim on.

Tell me, do your rose tinted glasses also make this monitor look larger than 13 or 14 inches?

These were very nice displays. A lot of people had them. I watched my fansubs on the earlier C64 companion monitor. However I think you're hyping the thing up too much by a few thousand percent.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 04:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Well, PlayStation outputs about half of 1080 and VHS puts out about half of what the PS does.

Regarding this, I fully understand your reasoning . However if one source has half the vertical resolution compared to a difference source, it will most likely have half horizontal resolution. This would leave you with a quarter of resolution, as long as we're comparing identical aspect ratios.

So if we're going to talk about pixels most games for the original Playstation runs in 240*320, giving us a total of 76 800 pixels to play with. A source with 1080 vertical lines would have 1440 horizontal lines of actual information (as long as we're talking the same aspect ratio, which is 1.33:1 in this case). Thus we should have 1 555 200 active, discrete pixels. That's 20 times as much information, as long as we're just talking pixel count which by the way doesn't say all that much unless it's rather low. Resolution and sharpness isn't the same thing.

However you are right that the Playstation could output 480i, although it was mainly used for the startup screen and FMV sequences. Still it's pretty far from 1080 vertical lines (regardless of progressive or interlaced).

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 07:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

can not give an opinion cause ive only watched the Amoled screen of the Tab S 10.5 and it was more or less like a really good Led image

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 07:25 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I have the original OLED PlayStation Vita. It's a seriously good display but that's probably not something you haven't heard before.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 11:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
forper wrote:

Well, PlayStation outputs about half of 1080 and VHS puts out about half of what the PS does. Considering you seem to have no source anywhere close to 1080 it would be interesting what you're basing this claim on.

Tell me, do your rose tinted glasses also make this monitor look larger than 13 or 14 inches?

Um, I am fully aware that VHS and PS didn't output 1080. I had a techy friend growing up and he always told me how much resolution it was capable of. And yes, low res sources looked better on it than on regular TVs.

Samaron's post supports me on the techspecs, that these monitors WERE capable of displaying higher than 1080 with an A1200 hooked up to it.

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next