It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:01

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Question concerning Faroudja DVP-3000
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2016, 22:27 
True fan
True fan

Hi guys, maybe someone can help me out here. I´m using a DVO VP50 Scaler to upscale my Lds, now I can get my hands on a Faroudja DVP-3000 Scaler (the version that supports only NTSC). I need help concerning the price, how much is this scaler worth ? My guess is about 250.-€ ?? Next question, is it a considerably better scaler than my DVDO, especially in respect of the 2D Comb Filter? Would I really see a difference here ? maybesomeone with a faroudja in his system can help me out here? All your help is appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Question concerning Faroudja DVP-3000
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2016, 00:45 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Faroudja NRS and VP50 use the same Philips/NXP Saa chip for comb filter. If my memory serves me right CLD-97 uses the same comb filter or similar. They certainly perform equal. DVP units likely to use the same chip as they from the same era. What faroudja does differently is apply a low pass filter on the chroma (which shouldn't effect LD but DVD) and apply cross color suppression(patented tech). It helps with rainbowing but not increase resolution like a 3D filter.

Faroudja noise reduction is also very nice at low settings. High settings cause smearing and wash out detail. Scaling a tad softer. I would stick with the VP50 unless you get the Faroudja dirt cheap like under $100.

Post subject: Re: Question concerning Faroudja DVP-3000
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2016, 21:13 
True fan
True fan

thx Substance for your help. I thought that the Faroudja DVP-3000 Scaler is a better scaler (since it had a price of 20000 US$ back in the day), I guess I was wrong. Somehow I hoped that this scaler will do better than the DVDO (and maybe just because I want to own a scaler that was so expensive back then). No, I don`t think that I will get the scaler for 100 $, so I guess I will stay with my actual set-up. Anyone here has a different opinion?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]