It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:01

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: £100 to spend on either scaler or ac3
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2016, 15:32 
Serious fan
Serious fan

OK so not yet but after christmas I'm seriously considering either a scaler or an AC3 rf demodulator. I'm setting myself a £100 cap, that can maybe push out to £120.

At that price range I should be able to pickup an ac3 or an older lower range scaler but as I have little to no knowledge of such things I wondered if it would even be worth it. At present my CLD-2950 is straight to my Panasonic 55" plasma over a home made 75ohm coaxial cable with gold plated connectors. The picture quality is 'dead-on' as we say (i.e. acceptable) but I wonder if I put a little money at it could it be made better.

For example there is a Optoma Themescene HD3000 Video Scaler going for £100 or best offer on eBay UK but I've no idea if this is a good piece of hardware or not.

One thing I will say is my Sony AV amp has an inbuilt scaler which totally ruins any picture sent through it. OK the amp was £300 brand new 4 years ago so it wasn't exactly top of the range and its upscaling was even then reviewed as being a bit crap but then again 4 years ago I wasn't a laserdisc collector so it wasn't an issue.

As for the ac3 I have a few discs that would make use of it and it would be nice to have but in all honestly there is nothing wrong with the sound as it is.

Maybe I should just buy some more media instead....

Post subject: Re: £100 to spend on either scaler or ac3
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2016, 21:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'd easily get the Optoma. It will give you some vast improvement in terms of picture quality thanks to its excellent Gennum VXP chip. Safe bet.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]