It is currently 25 Nov 2017, 08:52




 Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
Which Radiance Model do you own?
 Radiance 2124  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
 Radiance 2144  80%  80%  [ 4 ]
 Radiance 2022  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
 Radiance 2042  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
 Radiance XE3D  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
 Radiance XE3D+  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
 Radiance XS3D  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
 Radiance XS3D+  20%  20%  [ 1 ]
 Radiance XD  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Author Message
 Post subject: Lumagen Radiance 2124 2144 owners
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2017, 20:09 
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 23:37
Posts: 1636
Location: Tg Pagar, Singapore
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 30 times
Previous thread was: Lumagen Radiance 2144 - Always listen to Substance

This thread is dedicated to LD fans who purchased a Lumagen Radiance 2124 (analog inputs, 1K HDMI output), a Lumagen Radiance 2144 (analog inputs, 4K HDMI output) but is opened to other previous models as well until a separate thread is needed.

Attachment:
File comment: Radiance 21X4 Back side
Radiance21X4_front_whtL.jpg
Radiance21X4_front_whtL.jpg [ 40.7 KiB | Viewed 998 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Radiance 21X4 Front side
Radiance21X4_fback_wht.jpg
Radiance21X4_fback_wht.jpg [ 73.75 KiB | Viewed 998 times ]


Company website: http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiance21XX_details
User Manuals: http://www.lumagen.com/docs/Radiance_2144_Manual_with_cover_051914.pdf
Firmware Updates: http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiance21XX_updates

Most recent update is from March 5th 2017 :arrow: http://www.lumagen.com/docs/radiance21XX_030517.zip
Production 030517- For 21X4 adds PC/Video level setting for composite and svideo sources. Adds audio mute delay for analog video sources.
_________________
Shop on LDDb / Shop on eBay SG / LDDb on Facebook!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance 2144 - Always listen to Substance
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2017, 20:09 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity
User avatar

Joined: 30 Jan 2017, 22:52
Posts: 16
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
The low level 0/7,5IRE level thing on the analog inputs has been a mess way back on the Radiance series, i gave up on my XS+ as a analog input device, now its great the 2144 is working well with analog sources, but would be nice with a direct comparison to the Crystalio, somebody must have both, and be capable of making a A/B comparison, im using the Crystalio as a deinterlacer and comb filter, and upscale in my Radiance XS+
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance 2144 - Always listen to Substance
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2017, 22:29 
Serious fan
Serious fan
User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2015, 16:35
Posts: 253
Location: United States
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times
I guess I need to update, how does the IRE work and how do I use it? I never did understand is it for all JPN discs or just some?
_________________
HLD-X0 and HLD-X9 -> Lumagen Radiance 2144 -> Dueling Projectors
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance 2144 - Always listen to Substance
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2017, 02:30 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2015, 15:40
Posts: 416
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 3 times
stridsvognen wrote:
The low level 0/7,5IRE level thing on the analog inputs has been a mess way back on the Radiance series, i gave up on my XS+ as a analog input device, now its great the 2144 is working well with analog sources, but would be nice with a direct comparison to the Crystalio, somebody must have both, and be capable of making a A/B comparison, im using the Crystalio as a deinterlacer and comb filter, and upscale in my Radiance XS+


Substance does ;)
_________________
HLD-X9/HM-D101/TU-MDC100, Lumagen 2144, Epson EH-TW5500. For PAL CLD-925.
Online
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance 2144 - Always listen to Substance
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2017, 02:35 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2015, 15:40
Posts: 416
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 3 times
pbiancardi wrote:
I guess I need to update, how does the IRE work and how do I use it? I never did understand is it for all JPN discs or just some?


Just some and mostly late releases. Just a couple off the top of my head that I had out last night enjoying them finally looking right without an awful black crush (and contouring from trying to deal with it by turning up the black level): The Mummy, Sixth Sense, Phantom Menace.

On the 2144 you will now be able to select video (7.5IRE) or PC (0IRE) for the input level. Previously this setting only functioned with RGB in via HDMI.
_________________
HLD-X9/HM-D101/TU-MDC100, Lumagen 2144, Epson EH-TW5500. For PAL CLD-925.
Online
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance 2124 2144 owners
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2017, 04:34 
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 23:37
Posts: 1636
Location: Tg Pagar, Singapore
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 30 times
audioboyz1973 wrote:
On the 2144 you will now be able to select video (7.5IRE) or PC (0IRE) for the input level. Previously this setting only functioned with RGB in via HDMI.


Thanks!

That's the part I needed on the menu, I was expecting to find 7.5IRE or 0IRE but got confused with the Video/PC choices.
Now it's clear.

Julien
_________________
Shop on LDDb / Shop on eBay SG / LDDb on Facebook!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance 2144 - Always listen to Substance
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2017, 21:13 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity
User avatar

Joined: 30 Jan 2017, 22:52
Posts: 16
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
audioboyz1973 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
The low level 0/7,5IRE level thing on the analog inputs has been a mess way back on the Radiance series, i gave up on my XS+ as a analog input device, now its great the 2144 is working well with analog sources, but would be nice with a direct comparison to the Crystalio, somebody must have both, and be capable of making a A/B comparison, im using the Crystalio as a deinterlacer and comb filter, and upscale in my Radiance XS+


Substance does ;)


Im waiting to hear his comparison, and find out if its worth the investment, im not realy convinced to spend that much money on Laserdisc anymore, as i never really watch it, find them to low res/ poor image quality on the projector no matter what i do, and i doubt the 2144 will be capable of magically getting new information off the discs and on the screen, compared to the crystalio/ Radiance XS+ combo.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance 2144 - Always listen to Substance
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2017, 07:44 
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 23:37
Posts: 1636
Location: Tg Pagar, Singapore
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 30 times
stridsvognen wrote:
Im waiting to hear his comparison, and find out if its worth the investment.


Clearly it's not for everyone. You should consider how many LDs you have, if you intend to keep spinning them and if you have a good spare LD player in case the main one fails.

Julien
_________________
Shop on LDDb / Shop on eBay SG / LDDb on Facebook!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance 2144 - Always listen to Substance
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 12:52 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2015, 15:40
Posts: 416
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 3 times
stridsvognen wrote:
Im waiting to hear his comparison, and find out if its worth the investment, im not realy convinced to spend that much money on Laserdisc anymore, as i never really watch it, find them to low res/ poor image quality on the projector no matter what i do, and i doubt the 2144 will be capable of magically getting new information off the discs and on the screen, compared to the crystalio/ Radiance XS+ combo.


Not that I can actually compare, but considering the equipment you're already using I think you could only realistically expect an incremental improvement. As you say there is no magic. Then given the price you mentioned paying for the Crystalio and a waning interest in Laserdiscs it might be pretty hard for you to justify the expense.
_________________
HLD-X9/HM-D101/TU-MDC100, Lumagen 2144, Epson EH-TW5500. For PAL CLD-925.
Online
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance 2124 2144 owners
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 08:23 
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 23:37
Posts: 1636
Location: Tg Pagar, Singapore
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 30 times
Most recent update is from July 2nd 2017 :arrow: http://www.lumagen.com/docs/radiance21XX_072017.zip
Production 072017 - Fix up for trigger outputs when set to Off or On at Power-up and not going to opposite state when Radiance goes to standby.

I found a small bug on the previous firmware (probably still in this one) that some input names (at least input 12) would get lost when the device is powered off/on.
I think they are just saving the value at a wrong address, but it's not really a problem. It just turned me crazy for a while re-inputing the name until I realize it would get lost every time!

Julien
_________________
Shop on LDDb / Shop on eBay SG / LDDb on Facebook!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance 2124 2144 owners
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 18:51 
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 23:37
Posts: 1636
Location: Tg Pagar, Singapore
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 30 times
admin wrote:
I found a small bug on the previous firmware (probably still in this one) that some input names (at least input 12) would get lost when the device is powered off/on.


Yep, still there.

Julien
_________________
Shop on LDDb / Shop on eBay SG / LDDb on Facebook!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance 2124 2144 owners
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 21:12 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2015, 15:40
Posts: 416
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Not sure about the power-down thing, but I recently found that for input 11 & 12 it would not transfer the new name I input to the input select menu. It would store into memA ok (and display when selected) and show up on other menu displays like the status screen for example (when you press ok while menu not active) but the OS menu selection from pressing 'input' button still shows 'input 11/input 12. All other inputs work fine with this.
_________________
HLD-X9/HM-D101/TU-MDC100, Lumagen 2144, Epson EH-TW5500. For PAL CLD-925.
Online
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance 2124 2144 owners
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2017, 03:35 
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 23:37
Posts: 1636
Location: Tg Pagar, Singapore
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 30 times
audioboyz1973 wrote:
Not sure about the power-down thing, but I recently found that for input 11 & 12 it would not transfer the new name I input to the input select menu. It would store into memA ok (and display when selected) and show up on other menu displays like the status screen for example (when you press ok while menu not active) but the OS menu selection from pressing 'input' button still shows 'input 11/input 12. All other inputs work fine with this.


So it's not only Input 12, its 11 & 12, but it's exactly the behavior I'm noticing as well.

Lumagen has been informed but they logged it as a low priority bug, and I agree it's not going to stop you from using anything and it's on the analog inputs that probably not many people are using anymore (Input 12 = HLD-X9 here).

Julien
_________________
Shop on LDDb / Shop on eBay SG / LDDb on Facebook!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance 2124 2144 owners
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2017, 09:06 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2015, 15:40
Posts: 416
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 3 times
admin wrote:

So it's not only Input 12, its 11 & 12, but it's exactly the behavior I'm noticing as well.

Lumagen has been informed but they logged it as a low priority bug, and I agree it's not going to stop you from using anything and it's on the analog inputs that probably not many people are using anymore (Input 12 = HLD-X9 here).

Julien


It's both the fixed composite inputs (11, 12); the component/switchable inputs (9, 10) are fine. Agreed it's not really much of an issue; I was just trying to set up the on-screen input menu with simple labeling for some extra ease of use for the other half!

Using both the 11 & 12 for LD input here; 9 & 10 for Muse decoder input.
_________________
HLD-X9/HM-D101/TU-MDC100, Lumagen 2144, Epson EH-TW5500. For PAL CLD-925.
Online
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance 2124 2144 owners
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2017, 10:07 
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 23:37
Posts: 1636
Location: Tg Pagar, Singapore
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 30 times
audioboyz1973 wrote:
Using both the 11 & 12 for LD input here; 9 & 10 for Muse decoder input.


MSC-4000 on Input 10 indeed :-)

Julien
_________________
Shop on LDDb / Shop on eBay SG / LDDb on Facebook!
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: