It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:09

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: capture and genlock
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 23:47 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

so I finally got myself a Mac Pro Classic (the case is the same as my PMG5) I would like to use this for video in capturing or making some sort of subtitle machine but then that depends on finding subtitles.

Post subject: Re: capture and genlock
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2017, 10:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

xtempo wrote:
so I finally got myself a Mac Pro Classic (the case is the same as my PMG5) I would like to use this for video in capturing or making some sort of subtitle machine but then that depends on finding subtitles.

What subtitle software do you have for the Mac?
What format of subtitles can that software load?
The biggest collection of made for LD subtitles are in .ssa format.
That is a software for windows PC's.
If a software on mac can read those you are good.
If not you bought the wrong machine.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2017, 11:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

If you find a way to display the video on the computer, PenguinSubtitlePlayer might be the best option. The program should have a Mac version since it is cross-platform. That one uses srt subtitle files, however. You might have to do some minor editing to get a good sync/start point and maybe merge or split the files. PenguinSubtitlePlayer is a transparent program that you just move to wherever you want on the screen and push play to display subtitles.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2017, 14:36 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I need to find other subtitles but the ones I have seem to be in the .js file format.
I don't have anything yet though I will look at penguin subtitle player.

If I have to capture what is a good device or card that I can use?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2017, 18:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

*.js format is ancient. Those are used with software on the Commodre Amiga computers. Early 90s stuff. SubStationAlpha (old windows software) can usually open them just fine. These are usually made for laserdisc and for the most part require no editing. The amount of subtitle files available are very limited, however.

Finding srt files to use with PenguinSubtitlePlayer usually isn't difficult, nor is the editing. I just change the delay in the file to match up with the start of the disc and split it if it is more than one side. That way I just have to press play on both at the same time and it is more or less in sync. I usually use this method to display subtitles instead of SubStationAlpha. I use a genlock, so I just open up a black background on the computer to only have the subtitles visible.

I'm not familiar with Mac computers, so someone else would need to chip in with what cards you can use.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2017, 20:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The nice thing about analog subtitling is that you just need the computer to display the subs...that's it. The genlock does the rest.

However, I wouldn't start with a PPC Mac to do this. I'd use a $50 Windows 98SE machine since .ssa format was the most widely used.

You shouldn't have to edit anything except the (hand on the space bar) starting point. If you have the same LD they used back in the day and the same .saa file then it will work as well as it ever did or didn't. One second is exactly as long as it was 20 years ago.

I have no idea why it's so hard to find subtitle files for things, especially since they take up almost no space. It's just one of many things we took for granted on the 90s internet...I got some from Publius a few years ago since I lost all mine.

Anything that involves capture is beyond my time for the most part. If I were doing it that way (I wouldn't) then I'd just get a new Mac Mini and a huge NAS.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2017, 21:19 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

As far as the capture goes I mainly want to archive my formats such as preserving the Japanese LD I never finished backing up (still have to put that in the DB too).

A usb device would work if there is a great one. Maybe there is a good model that would work with El Captain.

I was thinking while I was at it video wise I could make the Mac Pro* also do the gen lock thing but I have no idea if I could get that working or rather just use something to combine the video and the subtitles.

also does anyone know or have the subtitle to Cleopatra (1970) [G98F0156]. I can't seem to find anything.

*Intel base Mac Pro early 2009 so its the classic case and not the cylinder black one

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2017, 22:07 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I do not have a sub file for Cleopatra. I wish I did.

As for backing stuff up, I'd use an all-in-one solution like DVD/BR recorders. They work better on default settings that any PC based thing I've used.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2017, 23:15 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I found this but can't get the subs to work. can you try? http://rarelust.com/cleopatra-queen-of-sex-1970/

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2017, 00:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I'm confident I have subtitles for Cleopatra (1970), but not sure what script format they are in.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]