It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:37

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Faroudja: What is the PQ with this upconversion?
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2017, 14:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Recently, I bought a Sony DA3300ES AVR to upgrade my Sony DA2ES AVR. The upgrade includes HDMI jacks so I can include the outputs of my BD players and switch them to my HDTV.

On the front of the 3300 are numerous labels showing what the AVR is using. Among the many labels (i.e. HDMI and Neural Surround) there is the Faroudja Cinema label. A quick Google search revealed that the Faroudja label indicates that the AVR can do upconversion of the video signal. A check of the operating manual for the 3300 confirmed to me that the AVR can upconvert a 480 video signal to 1080.

My intent is to upconvert the composite video signals from LD players, a DVD player and a DirecTV receiver to 1080.

I was wondering if anyone has used such an AVR or a standalone box to upconvert video signals using the Faroudja software.. What does the PQ look like? Is it worthwhile?
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

Post subject: Re: Faroudja: What is the PQ with this upconversion?
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 17:59 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I know that this is a little older topic, and by now, I assume that you have tried it. If not, try it since you already purchased it. Worst case, you go through a different chain for video. Ultimately, the question is, is it better than what you had? If so, use it.

That being said, I have a JVC HD2k-sys projector, which came with a JVC badged Fardoudja DVP1080P (o.k. technically an earlier variant of it that came out after the 1010 and before the 1080, that is nearly, but not quite identical to the 1080). It has been >2 years since I have used it, but my recollection was that the scaling is decent, but the deinterlacing was not particularly good. Basically, not so good for analog sources (ie LD), but would have been just fine for proscan sources. I still have the scaler and projector, but have since moved on to a Crystallio II and JVC RS1 projector, which is hands down a much better combo.

Let me know what your observations are, since mine was a stand alone system with DVI output and not an integrated unit. Given that yours was HDMI, there may have been some other tweaks under the hood that make it better for analog sources.

Post subject: Re: Faroudja: What is the PQ with this upconversion?
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2018, 14:08 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

ffrolvaag wrote:
I know that this is a little older topic, and by now, I assume that you have tried it. If not, try it since you already purchased it. Worst case, you go through a different chain for video. Ultimately, the question is, is it better than what you had? If so, use it.

That being said, I have a JVC HD2k-sys projector, which came with a JVC badged Fardoudja DVP1080P (o.k. technically an earlier variant of it that came out after the 1010 and before the 1080, that is nearly, but not quite identical to the 1080). It has been >2 years since I have used it, but my recollection was that the scaling is decent, but the deinterlacing was not particularly good. Basically, not so good for analog sources (ie LD), but would have been just fine for proscan sources. I still have the scaler and projector, but have since moved on to a Crystallio II and JVC RS1 projector, which is hands down a much better combo.

Let me know what your observations are, since mine was a stand alone system with DVI output and not an integrated unit. Given that yours was HDMI, there may have been some other tweaks under the hood that make it better for analog sources.

I have not put the 3300 into service yet so I have nothing to report about it. I am trying to settle on whether to use the AVR for upscaling of the CED players I have or use a Hitachi AVC08U to do the job. I have tested the AVC08U to upscale the output of a Sony MDP-600 player. The result was not bad except that text on the bottom of the screen without upscaling is now off the screen with the AVC08U upscaling.

I am going to test the 3300 without speakers to see what the video looks like. I will have more later.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]