It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:27

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: DVDO VP50 Pro problem
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 13:25 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Hi Guys!

I got a problem with my vp50 pro and I,m hoping someone can help.

The device is working properly, its just that the fans aren't spinning. The vp50 gets really hot after a while.

There are two small 5v. fans. I checked the voltage output on the pins for the fans and the ouput was around 3.3v. I tried 3.3v fans and they don't spin either. I,m not a technichian or something like that and i don't have much knowledge about electronics. I hooked up the 5v fans on my pc and straight away they spin.

So whats the problem, why won't they spin in my VP50 Pro? Can somebody help me out?

Robin

Post subject: Re: DVDO VP50 Pro problem
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 20:45 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I would check further down if there is a fuse or something that has gone.
Other than that I have no idea, sorry.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2017, 22:35 
True fan
True fan

Just a short note here. I had a similiar "problem", vp50 gets hot, no fan.. But i read somewhere that the fan stays off if sd definition is used.. My main problem was, that the vp50 handled Pal only in b/w, when i took off the hood i had colour. Did you solve yours?

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2017, 15:29 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Sorry for the late respond, but it was solved kinda. I had a local tech guy fix it for me. The fans now stay on all the time if the DVDO has power. I made a picture of how he did it. Maybe it can help you.

Btw, why did they not make an off/on switch? They made a great device and then do something stupid like that. Even in standby mode it has constant power usage.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 16:27 
True fan
True fan

robinrobin wrote:
Sorry for the late respond, but it was solved kinda. I had a local tech guy fix it for me. The fans now stay on all the time if the DVDO has power. I made a picture of how he did it. Maybe it can help you.

Btw, why did they not make an off/on switch? They made a great device and then do something stupid like that. Even in standby mode it has constant power usage.

Sorry for my late response - I wasn´t aware of your posting. That looks pretty interessting what you did with the DVDO. I am tempted to do the same but doing it by myself seems a bit bold. Yes, they don´t have on/off switches, don´t know who had this idea. Maybe because the power supply is on the outside.Btw. mine died after a few years, even though I always pulled the plug from the wall outlet. Got a new one, which wasn´t too easy to find because of the high power consumption.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 18:08 
exinferis wrote:
robinrobin wrote:

Sorry for my late response - I wasn´t aware of your posting. That looks pretty interessting what you did with the DVDO. I am tempted to do the same but doing it by myself seems a bit bold. Yes, they don´t have on/off switches, don´t know who had this idea. Maybe because the power supply is on the outside.Btw. mine died after a few years, even though I always pulled the plug from the wall outlet. Got a new one, which wasn´t too easy to find because of the high power consumption.

is this a common issue for power supply to die because it's an extern device or did you mean it was the video processor who died from excessive heat?
there should have been an auto thermostat sensor when the heat is on.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018, 23:35 
True fan
True fan

No, the external power supply died. This seems to be common with those DVDOs. The processor itself is also getting damn hot, thats why robinrobin had those fans custom made. Not a bad idea.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018, 16:39 
Serious fan
Serious fan

OEM power supplies are available from Astrodyne TDI in New Jersey. They are a US distributor of Chinese power supplies.

https://www.astrodynetdi.com/ecatalog/p ... /SPU45-103

https://www.astrodynetdi.com/pdf/SPU45.pdf

The DVDO VP50 uses this exact PS. It is rated for 6Vdc at 7A. The one in the picture has a 5 pin DIN but mine came with the exact DC coaxial connection for the VP50. Nice tight fit. You may want to talk to a service rep to make sure on the output connector. They were very helpful and great to deal with.

$85 US and like 6 weeks shipping for a single unit.

This should solve overheating problems and cheap PS that keep dying.

FYI - I bought a generic PS from eBay that claimed to be for the DVDO VP50 for $12. It did not power the unit at all.

Hope this helps someone ;)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]