It is currently 25 Nov 2017, 06:21

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: What are you using to upscale your LD Player on New 4K TV's
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2017, 08:51 
Second post
Second post

What are you guys using to upscale the picture quality on Newer 4K TV's ?
ONKYO TX-NR626 was suggested by a few people , I was wondering if anyone
know's how the newer model Onkyo up-scaling looks ???
Onkyo TX-NR 777
Onkyo TX-NR757
Onkyo TX-RZ710
Thanks for any input ...

Post subject: Re: What are you using to upscale your LD Player on New 4K T
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 00:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good evening / Morning paper,

Good question;
This is something that I am looking into Composite to HDMI.

A retailer of trust is making a few phone calls for me, and so hopefully I shall have an update in the next few weeks or longer.
Available funds are a little thin, but the retailer discussed and we agreed on myself placing a deposit when something reasonable and suitable is found.

I shall let you know,

Kind Regards to you

:thumbup: :wave:

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 01:53 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

The good news is that if the upscaling isn’t good, it’s an Onkyo so it will probably lose a channel or have its fan die or something in like a year and a half and you can buy something better. :)

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 09:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
The good news is that if the upscaling isn’t good, it’s an Onkyo so it will probably lose a channel or have its fan die or something in like a year and a half and you can buy something better. :)

I've never experienced a single issue with my Onkyo, and touch wood I won't have any problems in the near future either.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2017, 04:01 
True fan
True fan

My 626 was bought refurbed from A4L and has been wonderful for some time now. The onboard Marvell qdeo scaling is reputed to be very good and much better than older faroudja dcdi but since I primarily use my xbr960 I haven't tried it that much.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 18:01 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

The composite output of my Pioneer 704 looks FANTASTIC straight into my Sony 4K (55" 810C). The Video essentials moving zone plate test is ridiculously clear on all the problem areas. I was floored. The comb filter and upscaling on the Sony is amazing.

I've used a Panasonic DMR-ES10 with component out as well as a Sony RDR-GX255 with HDMI output and the bare composite into the Sony 4K wins head and shoulders above both. No comparison. Also, my Onkyo is supposed to upscale analog video to HDMI but that has never worked consistently and when it did the PQ was not great.

I was looking into getting one of those Leitch DPS units but after getting the new TV and seeing the results I had no desire to buy anything else to make LDs look better.

EDIT: Actually, I lied the composite is currently going through my Onkyo TX-SR705 and being output by the Onkyo as composite into the Sony 4K. However, I did initially test it straight in and it was superb (still is too!).

YMMV HTH FTW OMG!

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 00:10 
True fan
True fan

sonicboom wrote:
The composite output of my Pioneer 704 looks FANTASTIC straight into my Sony 4K (55" 810C). The Video essentials moving zone plate test is ridiculously clear on all the problem areas. I was floored. The comb filter and upscaling on the Sony is amazing.
I've used a Panasonic DMR-ES10 with component out as well as a Sony RDR-GX255 with HDMI output and the bare composite into the Sony 4K wins head and shoulders above both. No comparison. Also, my Onkyo is supposed to upscale analog video to HDMI but that has never worked consistently and when it did the PQ was not great.
I was looking into getting one of those Leitch DPS units but after getting the new TV and seeing the results I had no desire to buy anything else to make LDs look better.
EDIT: Actually, I lied the composite is currently going through my Onkyo TX-SR705 and being output by the Onkyo as composite into the Sony 4K. However, I did initially test it straight in and it was superb (still is too!).
YMMV HTH FTW OMG!

I am experiencing the very same thing with my new 4K TV. Have utilized many processors such as DVDO, Extron, and Faroudja NRS along with a couple of DVD recorders and a plasma from Panasonic and none of the have produced anywhere near as clean of a S&W zone plate as my new TCL 55P605, see attachment.
Now for actual content the Faroudja Pictue Perfect Plus NR Series sending 720p has the best look for LD. The NRS also has more color bandwidth showing more color saturation in the color resolution bars at the bottom of the S&W zone plate test. Although I could easily live with composite straight to this TV, it’s that good.

Attachments:
36EC9D18-FB63-4112-BDE4-9532E377877D.jpeg
36EC9D18-FB63-4112-BDE4-9532E377877D.jpeg [ 124.4 KiB | Viewed 49 times ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]