It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:10

Page 6 of 9 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you using to upscale your LD Player on New 4K T
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2021, 23:10 
Serious fan
Serious fan

How is the iScan HD+? Does it have aspect ratio zoom? I didn't think I'd be adding a VP, but I came across one locally for $50...

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2021, 23:19 
Honest fan
Honest fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
gypsy wrote:
Duo and Edge are considerably better. My Duo has been plugged in since the day I got it.

Yep, that's pretty much what I was thinking too gypsy, and if it's the same iscan ultra that I've seen on eBay uk the seller is looking for quite a bit more than $50, I think his reserve is £120!

That’s the one.
Will what for a duo to turn up I guess.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2021, 23:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

It’s hard to say and a bit luck of the draw really. You’ll always find them cheaper on eBay US but when the shipping and import charges are factored in then the price gets a bit silly for anyone purchasing from a European country, they do come up fairly often on this side of the Atlantic but for anything between (very roughly) £120-200(ish) I’m speaking more for an Edge here but the Duo should be quite similar. One of the guys on here recently grabbed himself an Edge and I think he was really happy with it - maybe he’ll see this and chime in! btw did you check the position of the HQ Circuit button yet, just make sure it’s always off as it makes a fair difference to the PQ!
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2021, 01:45 
Honest fan
Honest fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
It’s hard to say and a bit luck of the draw really. You’ll always find them cheaper on eBay US but when the shipping and import charges are factored in then the price gets a bit silly for anyone purchasing from a European country, they do come up fairly often on this side of the Atlantic but for anything between (very roughly) £120-200(ish) I’m speaking more for an Edge here but the Duo should be quite similar. One of the guys on here recently grabbed himself an Edge and I think he was really happy with it - maybe he’ll see this and chime in! btw did you check the position of the HQ Circuit button yet, just make sure it’s always off as it makes a fair difference to the PQ!

I will have a look. Does it automatically turn on if you turn the player off.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2021, 09:39 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

strideristhebest wrote:
laserfanhld-gb wrote:

I will have a look. Does it automatically turn on if you turn the player off.

No it shouldn’t do but because there is no status led unlike on the 925 its easy to accidentally toggle the button if fumbling for one of the similar sized adjacent buttons whilst the room is darkened, a quick press will give an onscreen confirmation though.

Forgot to mention, also try toggling the system (PAL/NTSC) button on the front panel while you’re at it!

Last edited by laserfanhld-gb on 28 Feb 2021, 10:10, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Pioneer HLD-X9/CLD-925/CLD-2950
OPPO BDP-105D EU
ARCAM AVR-600
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2021, 09:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

shopkins82 wrote:
How is the iScan HD+? Does it have aspect ratio zoom? I didn't think I'd be adding a VP, but I came across one locally for $50...

From memory the one I had did do letterbox mode.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2021, 18:35 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Well it looks like my VSX-930 can only upscale 1080p which explains why I can’t tweak any levels.
Looks like I need a Duo.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2021, 21:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

strideristhebest wrote:
Well it looks like my VSX-930 can only upscale 1080p which explains why I can’t tweak any levels.
Looks like I need a Duo.

Haha...it seems that the laserdisc bug is slowly starting to bite, you do realise that soon you will be past the point of no return if you get a decent processor/scaler and you’ve had a taste of what the format can do given half a chance - next request will be I want a Pioneer CLD-R7G then you will be well and truly hooked :thumbup:
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2021, 21:37 
Honest fan
Honest fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
strideristhebest wrote:
Looks like I need a Duo.

Haha...it seems that the laserdisc bug is slowly starting to bite, you do realise that soon you will be past the point of no return if you get a decent processor/scaler and you’ve had a taste of what the format can do given half a chance - next request will be I want a Pioneer CLD-R7G then you will be well and truly hooked :thumbup:

You’re telling me.
I picked up boxsets of stars wars, Snow White, platoon and the lion king today. :o
Lots of people seem happy with the Duo, so I guess I will keep an eye out for one.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2021, 23:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

strideristhebest wrote:
laserfanhld-gb wrote:
strideristhebest wrote:
Looks like I need a Duo.

You’re telling me.
I picked up boxsets of stars wars, Snow White, platoon and the lion king today. :o
Lots of people seem happy with the Duo, so I guess I will keep an eye out for one.

Ah definitely no hope now then..afraid your a gonner :lol:

Duo or Edge, whichever comes first at the right price, in fact the Edge has the same comb filter as the Lumagen Radiance 2144 and it doesn’t really get any better than that, can anyone confirm that the Duo is definitely fitted with this also?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021, 01:38 
Honest fan
Honest fan

This will make some cool it but I am watching widescreen films in 4:3. The image looks much better because it’s smaller but I still have a 45 inch widescreen image :lol:

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021, 01:46 
Serious fan
Serious fan

strideristhebest wrote:
This will make some cool it but I am watching widescreen films in 4:3. The image looks much better because it’s smaller but I still have a 45 inch widescreen image :lol:

As in keeping the TV in 4:3 mode and doing nothing about the letterboxing? Legitimate option in my book. When you've got low resolution and a large screen, you have to choose between a large picture and a sharp picture.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021, 01:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rcarlson wrote:
strideristhebest wrote:

As in keeping the TV in 4:3 mode and doing nothing about the letterboxing? Legitimate option in my book. When you've got low resolution and a large screen, you have to choose between a large picture and a sharp picture.

Yup that’s right. I’d love to use the entirety of my 65 inch screen but this feels like a good compromise until I can get a decent upscaler.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021, 10:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

strideristhebest wrote:

Very sensible too! The 120” (@16:9) multi aspect screen I use in my home theatre also has a separate 90” diagonal 4:3 screen used not only with 4:3 program but all letterboxed DVDs/LDs and they look more than satisfactory this way even to my somewhat picky eye. Its just not fair to zoom even high quality transfers on standard def formats like these and expect it to look perfect; it really equates to sticking them under a giant microscope to put it crudely, DVD video artefacts can actually look far worse at this size level than LDs analog imperfections I generally find.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021, 11:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
Duo or Edge, whichever comes first at the right price, in fact the Edge has the same comb filter as the Lumagen Radiance 2144 and it doesn’t really get any better than that, can anyone confirm that the Duo is definitely fitted with this also?

It definitely does. Afaik the Duo was the model up on the Edge.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021, 11:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
laserfanhld-gb wrote:

It definitely does. Afaik the Duo was the model up on the Edge.

Excellent! Thanks for confirming audioboyz1973 :thumbup:
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021, 14:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I have the VP50 Pro and the Edge. The VP50 Pro is great and packed with features, but the firmware is very buggy and I frequently have issues with analogue audio on it. The DVDO Edge (not the Green version) has a similar issue with audio but is quickly fixable by swapping the audio input and back again. No idea why it does it but there you go.

The Edge lacks a lot of the VP50 Pro features but to be honest the Edge does enough for me and the results are that good I'm considering moving the VP50 Pro on just purely because of the analogue audio bug. Maybe someone else will be okay with it who doesn't use Laserdiscs, but for me I'll stick with the Edge for now. Lumagen kit is lovely but way out of what I'm prepared to pay to fiddle with SD sources, plus I don't have the home setup to warrant getting the best out of it anyway. I just want to spin discs and spend less time fiddling and farting around. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021, 16:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Why is everybody running audio through these scalers???
Is there that much delay from audio to video when watching???
Does the scaler have a great audio pre amp or whatever it may be inside???

Why aren't you running audio to audio and video to video, less hassle, unless there is a delay from audio to video.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021, 17:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

In my own use case I use the different audio outputs and the second HDMI output for video capture, DTS bit perfect capture etc. I don't have a fancy AV receiver any more, just a sound bar, so the options are limited to, well, running audio from the LD/AC-3 to the DVDO. I'll go back to a fancy AV receiver one day but not for the foreseeable.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021, 23:17 
Serious fan
Serious fan

If I had a VP that supported Audio Injection and switching, I'd likely run AC3 and PCM/DTS to the VP and automate switching between the two through my Harmony. As-is, with my AVR acting as scaler, I use both of my LD's video outs to different inputs, one for AC3 and one for PCM/DTS.

Page 6 of 9 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next