It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:48

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Snell and Wilcox Golden Gate comb filter and decoder
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 22:00 
Honest fan
Honest fan

A while ago I made a quirky discovery while experimenting with the 3D “Golden Gate” comb filter from Snell and Wilcox. I was prompted to look into this comb filter after reading Megapixie’s very informative reviews at ‪http://notonbluray.com/blog/comb-tb-tests/‬  and so purchased a pair of IQDAMDA decoder cards housed inside an IQ Modular housing. There are several products that include the Golden Gate filter and these broadcast modules decode composite signal to SDI.

I liked how the unit performed with laserdisc and also found something interesting on one of the modules. The standard control for the 3D comb filter setting on the IQDAMDA card was a basic “on” or “off” with no other changeable parameters. However, on one of the cards I found there was complete access to the comb filter settings and I could dial in Notch Gain, Line Gain, Frame Gain, Notch Bias and Line Bias. The only physical difference between the 2 modules was a sticker saying “GENNUM”.

I was curious And so contacted Snell and Wilcox directly where a very helpful support engineer came back with this:
"Once upon a year, I think people were talking with Gennum, with a view that they might put our DAMD algorithms into a custom decoder chip.  During this we probably supplied them with a customised card with special extensions to s/ware and f/ware to give tweakable parameters, and this would be that special board with that ‘GENNUM’ sticker. Unfortunately I was not involved with that and I can find no documentation or code in the expected places"

I appreciate this is probably a one off test unit but the fixed parameter decoder also produced a very clean image and I was impressed with its performance. Although not as effective as the ADV7842 (which is hailed as one of the best comb filters for laserdisc) it’s none the less an interesting (and cost effective) addition to the options available.

Is anyone else using one of these Golden Gate comb filters for Laserdisc?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]