It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:16

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Who's the lucky fooker buying this Crystalio II?
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 17:45 
This unit went for £935 GBP on FleaBay.
Who's was insane in the membrane to pay £935GBP for an old video prozessor?
I would have never believed it would sell at this price!? :o :shock: :wtf:
Seller must be very happy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162797275595

How much wudd FleBay charge seller fee for this unit?

Post subject: Re: Who's the lucky fooker buying this Crystalio II?
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 19:39 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

That is a fair price given how rare that thing is and it’s only alternative for great laserdisc playback is the lumagen Radiance 2144 for $3500+.

For your record, i sold both my vps-3300 and 3800 last year for $1000 and $1500 respectively within hours of listing them.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 20:26 
so if i understand you correct?
scalers are as valuable as 24ct. gold but all other electronics drops massively in value?
that must be sick!?
on fleabay sellers wants gooood money selling their scalers, some sellers are very lucky to sell their stuff others are not so very lucky?

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 20:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i dunno, LD perfomance via a PIONEER CLD-3030 directly feeding a 46" LCD monitor looks perfectly acceptable to my eye, at least,
and is also several thousand USD cheaper;

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 21:18 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

henry-silva wrote:
scalers are as valuable as 24ct. gold but all other electronics drops massively in value?
that must be sick!?
on fleabay sellers wants gooood money selling their scalers, some sellers are very lucky to sell their stuff others are not so very lucky?

When quantities are limited and there is no better option then a piece of electronics like that will stay in demand forever and the value will hold. Just look at LD players in general. Almost anything working is worth more than a new Sony 4K BD player because those are common as dirt and nobody has made a CLD-97 in 25 years.

Old Ferraris are worth more than new VWs.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 21:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

tasuke wrote:
i dunno, LD perfomance via a PIONEER CLD-3030 directly feeding a 46" LCD monitor looks perfectly acceptable to my eye, at least,

Correct me if I’m wrong but that looks like cropped anime (looks like Moldiver, which I haven’t seen the end of, only 4:3). If you can’t run it at the right ratio for some reason then you’d benefit from a scaler. If you prefer things cropped then I’m not sure I would trust your opinion of very many things. :)

Related: the new Emmet Otter’s Jugband Christmas DVD finally had the Kermit intro restored but is now anamorphic despite this show being shot on tape for TV in the 70s. Can you see the loss in resolution? Oh yeah, you sure can.

I think there are now more versions of his thing on DVD than anything else Muppet related and none of them are exactly right.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 21:30 
@ tasuke
you have captured those pics very well on your screen.
I recently played laserdisc T2-WS-SE on my DVL-909 and Grundig Full HD tv.
pic quality from T2 was OK but grainy but not perfect.

when I play other LD's in 4:3 format pic quality is not so good with pale colors.

@signofzeta
I believe price tags on scalers must be somehow overinflated?!

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 21:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

henry-silva wrote:
@ tasuke
you have captured those pics very well on your screen.
I recently played laserdisc T2-WS-SE on my DVL-909 and Grundig Full HD tv.
pic quality from T2 was OK but grainy but not perfect.

when I play other LD's in 4:3 format pic quality is not so good with pale colors.

@signofzeta
I believe price tags on scalers must be somehow overinflated?!

What’s the alternative?

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 21:34 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

henry-silva wrote:
that must be sick!?

Not just any video processor, this was a PMS Crystalio II VPS-3800. Beside its somewhat older but still fine HDMI output stage, its far from being outdated by any means. It can properly process any video feed from 240p up to 1080p60 and it can process it better than %99 what's out there. For retro gamers, correct 240p processing is rarely available on most if not all current and older electronics. For the LD enthusiasts, the CII is the benchmark. The only processor rivals and arguable surpass it is the Lumagen Radiance 2144 which cost $3500 to buy. No other video processor comes even remotely close to the performance of these two video processors in terms of analog video processing, most importantly the LD video. So yes, CII is still well sought after by LD aficionados and retro gamers. I can guarantee you there is at least a dozen people who has CII in there notify list on their eBay accounts. Part of the other reasons its still expensive is because its really rare. It shows up for sale once a year if you are lucky. I hope you now understand why CII is an exception. You will see that people literally give away DVDOs and Faroudjas. They simply don't offer anything different or better than what's commonly available whereas CII is untouched in terms of analog video performance. If you can find a CII for under $1000, that means it's well below the radar and the seller has no clue what he has aka doesn't know where to list it. I already told you about my sales, both were made here. If you search the history, you will see that a few hours after I listed them I had to update and close the listing as they have been sold. Matter of fact, I sold the VPS-3800 twice. The first buyer had to cancel due to family emergency, I re-listed it and another buyer agreed to pay the same amount within hours.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 21:37 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

tasuke wrote:

I am glad you are happy with your picture. I am sure you understand this is exteremly subjective. Most imperfections I easily catch are almost always ignored or goes unnoticed by my friends. Just like anything, ignorance is a bliss in this hobby.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 21:54 
substance wrote:
henry-silva wrote:
that must be sick!?

Not just any video processor, this was a PMS Crystalio II VPS-3800. Beside its somewhat older but still fine HDMI output stage, its far from being outdated by any means. It can properly process any video feed from 240p up to 1080p60 and it can process it better than %99 what's out there. For retro gamers, correct 240p processing is rarely available on most if not all current and older electronics. For the LD enthusiasts, the CII is the benchmark. The only processor rivals and arguable surpass it is the Lumagen Radiance 2144 which cost $3500 to buy. No other video processor comes even remotely close to the performance of these two video processors in terms of analog video processing, most importantly the LD video. So yes, CII is still well sought after by LD aficionados and retro gamers. I can guarantee you there is at least a dozen people who has CII in there notify list on their eBay accounts. Part of the other reasons its still expensive is because its really rare. It shows up for sale once a year if you are lucky. I hope you now understand why CII is an exception. You will see that people literally give away DVDOs and Faroudjas. They simply don't offer anything different or better than what's commonly available whereas CII is untouched in terms of analog video performance. If you can find a CII for under $1000, that means it's well below the radar and the seller has no clue what he has aka doesn't know where to list it. I already told you about my sales, both were made here. If you search the history, you will see that a few hours after I listed them I had to update and close the listing as they have been sold. Matter of fact, I sold the VPS-3800 twice. The first buyer had to cancel due to family emergency, I re-listed it and another buyer agreed to pay the same amount within hours.

yes, i did read your thread selling the CII.
you don't regret selling it?

Lumagen XS-3D is it any good for LD?

thanks

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 22:02 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

henry-silva wrote:
substance wrote:
henry-silva wrote:
that must be sick!?

yes, i did read your thread selling the CII.
you don't regret selling it?

Lumagen XS-3D is it any good for LD?

thanks

No regrets. I had owned them for many years and I have moved on. Now I own two R2144s which in my opinion beats the CII although by a small margin.

2124/2144 are the only models that have the good analog processing. All other Lumagen units are subpar hence they sell for much less in the used market. One exception is the Lumagen HDQ. It has the same comb filter as the CII but everything else is much older. It’s also pretty rare but generally significantly cheaper for the second hand.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 22:41 
so lumagen's all processor models were not always good for LD.

wudd you recomend DVDO Iscan?

if I can find a clean processor at an affordable price, would be great.
don't know what to look for

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 23:28 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Only those three I listed above makes a worthwhile improvement. Other video processors help in aspects ratio management/masking but do not improve the video quality any significant amount if any. Dvdo units are bad for scaling if you are also upping the resolution.

I am sorry. There is no cheap alternative.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 23:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I wanted to sell my CII originally and replace it with the Lumagen at some point.
But I have decided to keep the CII because I am happy with it.
Especially after seeing Peter's comparison video :)

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2017, 09:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

henry-silva wrote:

wudd you recomend DVDO Iscan?

Here in the ghetto the DVDO iscan VP50 does us well. It doesn't seem to do much to the picture of LD, improves DVD, never degrades a picture or sound and that's important if you have all your sources passing through it. The main things I love it for are automatic source switching and aspect ratio tweaking. My wide CRT display never displays the correct aspect ratio with its limited settings.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2017, 17:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

substance wrote:
I am glad you are happy with your picture. I am sure you understand this is exteremly subjective. Most imperfections I easily catch are almost always ignored or goes unnoticed by my friends. Just like anything, ignorance is a bliss in this hobby.

true, there are a metric ton of visual artifacts in legacy SD home video formats, and likely even a great deal of aberrations in the average upscaling process
that are most offensive to the trained eye. as you succinctly stated; Ignorance is indeed Bliss...

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]