It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 03:00

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: 2144: Inter Frame Motion Detection setting
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2019, 02:51 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The Inter Frame Motion Detection setting: Anyone messed with this?

The manual says "Controls the trade-off between minimizing combing artifacts (small values) verses maximizing detail (larger values) when deinterlacing video sources (not applicable for film)."

It is set at 6 by default. One direction is supposed to be more accurate and the other more effective.

I haven't found any difference sliding it all the way one way or the other, though.

Post subject: Re: 2144: Inter Frame Motion Detection setting
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2019, 06:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Good question ! Same for me !
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2019, 09:43 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Smaller values favores video mode deinterlacing and larger values favores film mode deinterlacing.

You need to understand, film material is already progressive full frames later to be interlaced into two fields (even and odd lines) due to the limitations of NTSC. In film mode, deinterlacier finds the matching fields and combines them. It’s a simple operation but cadence needs to be picked correctly for it to work. Technically all film footage should be 3:2 cadence but anamollies exists between edits and film/video mixed footage (tv series, anime, etc)

Video is shot on video cameras which capture images in fields. There are no two matching fields to combine. Deinterlacer double these fields to make up a full frame using interpolation. Basically assumes the missing lines.

I mentioned cadence detection above. When the deinterlacer can’t pick the cadence, it uses video mode (interpolation) even on film material. Typically most deinterlacers will look for 3:2 cadence and if it’s not 3:2, it will apply interpolation to double those fields. Yoi favor video mode in this setting and radiance will revert to video mode more often. This often yields softer picture because you only have half the resolution (one field) to scale up to full resolution. Less combing because interpolation smooths out the jaggies.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019, 04:14 
Serious fan
Serious fan

substance wrote:
Smaller values favores video mode deinterlacing and larger values favores film mode deinterlacing.

Thanks, substance, your posts are always very informative.

Why does the 2144 manual state "...when deinterlacing video sources (not applicable for film)"?

I would read that as that the values are disregarded (Inter Frame Motion Detection is turned off) when in film mode?

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019, 06:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thank you substance !
Your explanation is so interesting !
Then 0 = video mode, 15 = film mode. And auto is using values between 1 and 14 to detect more or less the video timing.
I will try some tests this week end !
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2019, 00:49 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

ruinatokyo wrote:
substance wrote:

Thanks, substance, your posts are always very informative.

Why does the 2144 manual state "...when deinterlacing video sources (not applicable for film)"?

I would read that as that the values are disregarded (Inter Frame Motion Detection is turned off) when in film mode?

This is a function of the gf9452 chipset also known as Gennum VXP. PMS Crystalio II uses the earlier version, gf9451. GF9452 has a better cadence detection and has mosquito noise reduction function over the already great gf9451. These chipsets have one major flaw Gennum won't/can't fix with a firmware update. These chips have three de-interlacing presets, auto, film and video. IFMD effects all three presets as I explained above but most likely more prominent on the auto mode. In film preset, it most likely has a higher IFMD and much lower on video preset. The major flaw is that even in the film mode and the highest IFMD selected, it won't stay in film mode indefinitely. Therefore there is no forced film mode preset. PMS Crystalio II went about this issue with adding a second deinterlacer chip, Faroudja FLI2310 which is an older gen deinterlacer, only good for film mode deinterlacing. Lumagen fixed this issue by completely bypassing gf9452 when film mode selected and perform forced film mode deinterlacing on the FPGA with a proprietary Lumagen deinterlacing algorithm. Since gf9452 chip is completely by passed and the video signal never goes though it, all of its functions are unavailable in film mode deinterlacing mode. You get forced film mode but lose noise reduction, edge enhancement, IFMD, contrast enhance.

On the new Lumagen Radiance Pro units they use their own deinterlacing on the FPGA for all modes. Jim told me that the original plans for Radiance units was to use HQV Realta chipset but Silicon Image failed to provide them the support they promised. They switched to Gennum the last minute but they regretted this move. He said that he regrets that he didn't use the time and money to implement their own deinterlacing on the FPGA much early on. Not that Gennum chip was bad but the implementation was very difficult and these chipset manufacturers didn't give any support what so ever.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2019, 01:00 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

mimylovesjapan wrote:
Thank you substance !
Your explanation is so interesting !
Then 0 = video mode, 15 = film mode. And auto is using values between 1 and 14 to detect more or less the video timing.
I will try some tests this week end !

I recommend film mode for any film and most tv shows. Film mode assumes 3:2 pull down for all material applies reverse pull down. If there are any bad edits in the film, this process may fail for a frame or two but more likely to give accurate results. Auto will fluctuate between film and video mode for multiple frames on bad edits which is more noticeable. I think auto and video are useful for cable tv only, like if you watch reality shows, news, and other programs. All films and tv series are shot on cinematic cameras. They all use Red, Arri, and Sony cameras in 24 frames, later shown on TV in 60i. Older TV series were filmed in 16 or 35mm film in 24 frame as well. There might be very few TV series from the 90s that were shot in video cameras but these would be very low productions.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]