It is currently 05 May 2024, 16:15

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-V720] Not playing audio CDs
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2020, 20:09 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Hi everyone!

Just bought my very first LD player (despite having LD artwork all over my house as a huge movie buff).

Anyway, I mainly got the Pioneer CLD-V720 to play LaserKaraoke discs; both 12" and 8". I wanted to play with the vocal elimination features with a pressed audio CD.

I tested an 8" LaserKaraoke disc (I got 12" ones coming) and a standard movie LD - both work great!

I threw in about 6 or 7 different audio CDs (not CD-Rs - but the real thing) and they spin up (or at least sounds like it) then the player essentially hits STOP. Nothing is ejected (as some others here have reported). It just won't play. It does identify it as COMPACT DISC as I would think it should.

This isn't throwing a huge wrench into my enjoyment and I'm not the most handy guy when it comes to "home electronics repair" but if there is something I could do with minimal risk, I'd be down for it.

I appreciate any response. Thank you!!

Post subject: Re: CLD-V720 not playing audio CDs
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2020, 21:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Never heard of that one, but give me a PM if you are looking for Karaoke discs, I have a box, about 60 of the 8 inch that I'm
looking to unload, and a handful f 12 inch discs.

Hope you get the CD thing figured out.
Thx.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2020, 07:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This could be spindle motor centering

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2020, 14:54 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Is there a guide, or post I should be looking at regarding this possible issue?

I was able to route AUX IN audio into the machine and use the vocal elimination and pitch tools on that - so it really isn't a big deal that CDs won't play at this point.

I would definitely still be interested in fixing it.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 18:30 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I have the same issue with my CLD-1750, I have a calibration LD coming soon and will do a complete mechanical configuration of the laser and alignment. I hope that fixes the issue. If the hardware has been messed with (before you got it) then spindle centering might be the answer. I suspected that of my LD player but time will tel I guess after the alignments are done.. Spindle centering must be done with an oscilloscope or DVM (per the service manual). You have to look at track error vs track A + C sum to get it right. guessing an twiddling settings on the control board is not an option it's a fine process.
Pioneer CLD-D925

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 18:50 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

strikemrb1 wrote:
I have the same issue with my CLD-1750, I have a calibration LD coming soon and will do a complete mechanical configuration of the laser and alignment. I hope that fixes the issue. If the hardware has been messed with (before you got it) then spindle centering might be the answer. I suspected that of my LD player but time will tel I guess after the alignments are done.. Spindle centering must be done with an oscilloscope or DVM (per the service manual). You have to look at track error vs track A + C sum to get it right. guessing an twiddling settings on the control board is not an option it's a fine process.

That is unfortunate that it requires that level of expertise. Fortunately, for my purposes, playing 8" and 12" as it does ... works for me.

Would you share your results when you're done? Either way?

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 21:38 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

So it spins up, reads the table of contents (look for available tracks to program) but won’t Play when you hit Play? You did hit Play, right? On both the player and the remote?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 22:03 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

signofzeta wrote:
So it spins up, reads the table of contents (look for available tracks to program) but won’t Play when you hit Play? You did hit Play, right? On both the player and the remote?

I put the disc in. It spins, says COMPACT DISC on the screen... then stops. Hit PLAY. Same thing, spins then stops. Choose a track using the quick track selection ... spins, stops.

I tried MULTIPLE discs - brand new CDs never been played - so it isn't scratches or anything.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2020, 22:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'm not familiar with this model but if it is based off the CLD-980/1070/1080/V2400/etc the "Pick-Up Inclination" can be so far off it can't play a CD. I perform this adjustment before breaking the centering adjustment locking compound. If successful, I do not touch the centering and then apply fingernail polish to keep the screws in place (after adjusting the servos). I think they have a tendency to drift.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2020, 05:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The CLD-V720 is actually based off of the CLD-1090 although its chassis dimensions are taller based on a CLD-2090 because Pioneer wanted to accommodate a row of number buttons on the top for direct access in Karaoke mode. Thus, when comparing the V720 to a V820 (auto reverse version) they almost look identical from the front except for the additional Side A & B buttons on the latter.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2020, 16:39 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

darkuni wrote:
strikemrb1 wrote:

That is unfortunate that it requires that level of expertise. Fortunately, for my purposes, playing 8" and 12" as it does ... works for me.

Would you share your results when you're done? Either way?

Sure, it was a case of a good calibration needed. The Tracking and Focus servos were out and I think the laser grating (not accessible in all players) was also off track. The calibration CAV disc helps perform 100% accurate tracking and a steady hand of course!
Pioneer CLD-D925

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2024, 21:53 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I apologize for resurrecting this thread but I'm having the same problem with the CLD-V710 in addition to a skipping issue on CAV discs that happen at the end, which I think both stem from the same or similar parts in the player.

I would love to fix it, but I do not have a calibration disc on hand. Is there a way to fix without using one or is it pretty much a prerequisite?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]