It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 08:01




 Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Watermarks on LDDB Pictures really necessary
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2017, 21:23 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 4580
Location: United States
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 34 times
Well what does everybody think.
I know they are removed when you sign in but other sites like discogs have no watermarks that I can see when not signed in.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Watermarks on LDDB Pictures really necessary
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 01:00 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2012, 23:14
Posts: 506
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 4 times
rein-o wrote:
Well what does everybody think.
I know they are removed when you sign in but other sites like discogs have no watermarks that I can see when not signed in.


One sort of good thing about the watermarks are that on auction sites (ebay) you will often see LDs for sale with a grabbed picture from LDDb.com where the seller has not bothered to take a picture of the actual item so the watermark is an instant take care notice. If they can't be bothered to take a picture of the item or even hunt down a picture from google images or the like without a watermark is enough for me to take great care, more often than not avoid.

Many "collectors" sites, auction sites & sale sites use watermarks to deter such picture use so perhaps a good idea here as is is.

Would most users here not sign-in as a matter of course to access the forum etcetera?

Cheers :thumbup: .
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Watermarks on LDDB Pictures really necessary  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 02:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2008, 06:10
Posts: 1173
Location: Milky Way-Sol System-Terra-USA-North Carlolina.
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 8 times
je280 wrote:
rein-o wrote:
Well what does everybody think.
I know they are removed when you sign in but other sites like discogs have no watermarks that I can see when not signed in.


One sort of good thing about the watermarks are that on auction sites (ebay) you will often see LDs for sale with a grabbed picture from LDDb.com where the seller has not bothered to take a picture of the actual item so the watermark is an instant take care notice. If they can't be bothered to take a picture of the item or even hunt down a picture from google images or the like without a watermark is enough for me to take great care, more often than not avoid.

Many "collectors" sites, auction sites & sale sites use watermarks to deter such picture use so perhaps a good idea here as is is.

Would most users here not sign-in as a matter of course to access the forum etcetera?

Cheers :thumbup: .




A second ! Sums up very well ...........
_________________
Acta Non Verba .....
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum ....
Si Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc ......
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Watermarks on LDDB Pictures really necessary
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2018, 09:02 
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 23:37
Posts: 2004
Location: Tg Pagar, Singapore
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 68 times
je280 wrote:
One sort of good thing about the watermarks are that on auction sites (ebay) you will often see LDs for sale with a grabbed picture from LDDb.com where the seller has not bothered to take a picture of the actual item so the watermark is an instant take care notice. If they can't be bothered to take a picture of the item or even hunt down a picture from google images or the like without a watermark is enough for me to take great care, more often than not avoid.


Correct!

Was one of the motivation for that (+extra free publicity for the site) as well as giving a reason to sign up, potentially attracting more users is never a bad thing.

Julien
_________________
My LDDb shop is having a moving sale! -10% above $100 and -20% above $200 until August 18th!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Watermarks on LDDB Pictures really necessary
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2018, 00:55 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 2632
Location: United States
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 43 times
I don’t see why what people on eBay do should be a reason to use what is categorically a worse image. I’m not capable of making a site 1/10 as great as LDDB but if I were I’d make it as good as I could and screw whatever was going on with eBay. You seriously think that every user of your site should have (user submitted) all the pictures watermarked so that people who don’t even come here can see an ad? Are you sure that makes sense? What if Facebook or your ISP did this?

I apologize for any offenses but I assumed the images were watermarked because that’s what everyone does and that not a lot of thought was put into it. In an age when most bands give away their music for free I’d hope that we could be more free with images someone else took.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Watermarks on LDDB Pictures really necessary
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2018, 09:34 
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 23:37
Posts: 2004
Location: Tg Pagar, Singapore
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 68 times
signofzeta wrote:
I don’t see why what people on eBay do should be a reason to use what is categorically a worse image. I’m not capable of making a site 1/10 as great as LDDB but if I were I’d make it as good as I could and screw whatever was going on with eBay. You seriously think that every user of your site should have (user submitted) all the pictures watermarked so that people who don’t even come here can see an ad? Are you sure that makes sense? What if Facebook or your ISP did this?


Watermarks show that:

1/ You didn't bother taking your own pic (buyer warning)
2/ You didn't bother to be a LDDb user and download the un-watermaked pic
3/ If it's free for you to use, the cost is just carrying a half transparent ad for LDDb.com that doesn't hide the full cover

Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

Facebook doesn't mind you using their pics since this way they gather even MORE data on what you do/who you follow.
Pics hosting services sometimes DO start caring about this and are now blocking "3rd party users" unless you pay for it.

Quote:
I apologize for any offenses but I assumed the images were watermarked because that’s what everyone does and that not a lot of thought was put into it. In an age when most bands give away their music for free I’d hope that we could be more free with images someone else took.


You're missing the point here. They're giving away the music because they hope to make it back on concert tickets and merchandising, it's not "free".

The watermarks were not a random choice, they are driven by economics.

Julien
_________________
My LDDb shop is having a moving sale! -10% above $100 and -20% above $200 until August 18th!
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: