It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:26

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: S-VHS hardware category?
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2023, 09:26 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I don't know if anyone suggested this, but could we try to throw in a hardware slice for S-VHS decks in the future? Given that VHS seems to be making a popularity swing again, I think something like that would be helpful for people looking for a reference on S-VHS decks. Of course, regular VHS is too mammoth of a topic to try integrating here efficiently, but I think S-VHS is narrow enough to keep the situation in hand.

Since we already have a section for D-VHS and W-VHS backed into the forum, adding S-VHS can't be too hard to implement. I especially saw that we already have a flag for S-VHS inside both formats, so separating that shouldn't be too challenging. This is especially useful for the handful of D-VHS decks that lack S-VHS support (yes, these exist).

Again, I don't know if this was something another forum member suggested, but with the option to add a hardware collection active, I feel this might be worth looking into.

Post subject: Re: S-VHS hardware category?
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2023, 11:45 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tomiopeeper1868 wrote:
Since we already have a section for D-VHS and W-VHS backed into the forum, adding S-VHS can't be too hard to implement. I especially saw that we already have a flag for S-VHS inside both formats, so separating that shouldn't be too challenging. This is especially useful for the handful of D-VHS decks that lack S-VHS support (yes, these exist).

I am changing the database right now to assume DVHS desk are NOT VHS or S-VHS compatible and add a check box to confirm it or not.

S-VHS deck is possible but would be a different group of hardware devices, distinct from DVHS (just like DVD, HDDVD or BD players are different groups).

Julien

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2023, 04:47 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

That's what I originally had in mind: a hardware category dedicated to S-VHS specifically. I already have a few decks on hand that I could add to the database if you're looking for a starting point. I would have to figure out how to add pictures to an entry. I only ask because I half remember a similar question being asked a while ago, and you said that wouldn't work. I don't know if that related to VHS as a whole (which would likely be impossible while retaining the database's original vision) or if it did ask about S-VHS.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2023, 05:09 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tomiopeeper1868 wrote:
I don't know if that related to VHS as a whole (which would likely be impossible while retaining the database's original vision) or if it did ask about S-VHS.

Only request I had was for VHS (tapes or decks) and I rejected them.

S-VHS is quite a niche market (like DVHS) and we could add the players.

I updated the DVHS decks. Now... Can every DVHS deck play VHS as well?

If no, I need to keep that as an option (check box)
If yes, I need to remove the option and display VHS automatically.

Julien

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2023, 05:17 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Yes, VHS is the baseline that every D-VHS deck can work with. The same goes with S-VHS as well. If you don't need to keep that toggle, go ahead and remove it.

While on the subject, I know there were a few prerecorded tapes released on S-VHS around the start of that format slice's life. They mainly consisted of whatever Super Source Video could license from the US (Paramount mostly), while Japan got a few releases from CIC Video (on top of the prerequisite demo tapes that came with the format). I did manage to get my hands on two (US copy of Days of Thunder and JPN copy of Always), but I don't know where the other ones would be at right now. Still, that might be enough to add the prerecorded titles to the database, if only because they proved to be so esoteric that nobody has properly archived them until now.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2023, 05:49 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tomiopeeper1868 wrote:
Still, that might be enough to add the prerecorded titles to the database, if only because they proved to be so esoteric that nobody has properly archived them until now.

Adding other formats was a LOT of work and it is actually barely used by anyone.
99.9% of activity goes to LD.

If there are so few tapes, maybe a Forum post summary would be enough?

Julien

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2023, 05:53 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

OK, that can work. I think there were only 20 prerecorded tapes split between Japan and the US if I was being generous. If adding a new media format would be a heavy burden on whoever runs the backend, I wouldn’t stress about it too much. The more significant thing (for me) would be the decks. The movies would be fine with a forum post.

Post subject: Re: S-VHS hardware category?  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2023, 09:36 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tomiopeeper1868 wrote:
The more significant thing (for me) would be the decks.

=> Added (https://www.lddb.com/device/svhs)

Along D-VHS and W-VHS decks.

Julien

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2023, 10:05 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Duly noted! I've already taken to adding my decks so that you can know what I have. Just need to get the pictures at a later time, but I can put in the technical stuff if nothing else!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]