It is currently 08 May 2024, 00:54

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Associates, or some such.
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 05:41 
True fan
True fan

Julien,

As you know there are several formats that I collect that the LDDb doesn't track. It has been requested by me and others to add other video formats, but I do realize the added expense and time contrants that are involved. But I have tried dozens of other database sites and they all fall short of the standard that you have set with the LDDb. So here's my idea:

An Associates Membership. For a set donation amount, determined by you, someone (such as myself) could buy their way into administering the added features and functions for the formats they wish to administer, leaving of course the formats already here to be administered by yourself. For example, I would love to add my large (it's three times larger than my large LaserDisc collection) DVD collection here.

Here's how it could work:

1. Someone donates the required amount to become a 'DVD Associate.'
2. Only DVD Associate Members would be allowed to approve DVDs, which must be in their collection at time of entry.
3. Once a DVD release has been added it could be added by anyone to their own collection.
4. When calling up a person's collection DVDs could be merged in with their LDs, HD-DVDs, etc. just as they can now with the formats already handled here.
5. Those who do not donate to become a DVD Associate will still have the option not to search for them, so they would not have to see releases for formats they have no interest in.

This would allow collectors of other formats to get involved with the LDDb. Formats like Cartrivision, Betamax, Super Beta, VHS, Super VHS, VCD, Super VCD, Video 2000, UMD, Blu Ray, etc.

STAY AWESOME! :)

Mark

Last edited by cessnaace on 20 Apr 2013, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Associates, or some such.
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 04:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It seems like it would eventually make the site a b**ch to use, especially if searching for a single title and dealing with different formats. Good for those who were with it from the beginning but trouble for newbies or those who only occasionally use the site - and the forums would become a mess of formats.

Do one thing and do it well, which LDDB does, not many things poorly.

Post subject: Re: Associates, or some such.
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 05:01 
True fan
True fan

disclord wrote:
It seems like it would eventually make the site a b**ch to use, especially if searching for a single title and dealing with different formats. Good for those who were with it from the beginning but trouble for newbies or those who only occasionally use the site - and the forums would become a mess of formats.

Do one thing and do it well, which LDDB does, not many things poorly.

Maybe it would be difficult to learn how to handle, I don't know. I think I could handle it, so I'm sure others could too. The thing is I've become so jaded with the LDDb, with it's logical layout and ease of use that all of the UMD, DVD and Blu Ray sites that I've tried drive me nuts.

Even with the LDDb's excellent design I have people contact me thru my Youtube channel asking me how to do something as simple as performing a member search. So there will always be people who need a bit of help to learn their way around.

I've just been thinking of ways to add other formats to the LDDb, but in a way that doesn't but more burden on Julien. I have OCD, so maybe I'm being abit too obsessive about it. :)

STAY AWESOME! :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]