It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:04

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pioneer Plasma TV with built in MUSE decoder
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 05:57 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Anyone ever come across this?

http://pioneer.jp/press-e/1999/0610-1.html

While it's rather old, so more than likely none of them are "alive" anymore (plasmas at that point were believed to only have a 10 year lifespan.) Were there any other TVs/Monitors that had built in MUSE decoders? I imagine this would be good for NTSC LDs as well, since it was made by Pioneer (more than likely featuring a good 3D comb filter.)

Post subject: Re: Pioneer Plasma TV with built in MUSE decoder
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 10:19 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

1,680,000 JPY = 21,406.73 USD

:shock:

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 10:24 
the first kuro series also had it, it is an option card you can still put in the us/euro models

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 23:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

nllaserdiscnl wrote:
the first kuro series also had it, it is an option card you can still put in the us/euro models

Interesting. I didn't know that there was such an option. Rather wish I had one of those cards (the TV to use it with would be nice too).

Here is a list of TVs with internal MUSE decoders which I have compiled. I do not claim that it is either comprehensive or entirely correct ; some of the models listed (particularly the earlier ones) may actually have simply been sold with an external decoder as a package deal.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2012, 19:28 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

publius wrote:
Here is a list of TVs with internal MUSE decoders which I have compiled. I do not claim that it is either comprehensive or entirely correct ; some of the models listed (particularly the earlier ones) may actually have simply been sold with an external decoder as a package deal.

That's neat that they some not only had video outs (so you can record Hi-Vision programming with a W-VHS deck) but even downconversion so you can use a regular VCR/S-VHS VCR to record programming. Sure you'd lose resolution big time, but it least you had the option!

I can recall RCA's earlier HDTVs that actually had HD receivers and/or DirecTV receivers built in had no video out for recording (of course, your only option at that time was a D-VHS deck, but still!)

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2012, 21:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

elahrairrah wrote:
That's neat that they some not only had video outs (so you can record Hi-Vision programming with a W-VHS deck) but even downconversion so you can use a regular VCR/S-VHS VCR to record programming. Sure you'd lose resolution big time, but it least you had the option!

I think it may be possible to use some of the plasma-TV receiver units without their matching panels (which are likely to have gone bad by now!) as MUSE decoders (the other video processing functions are probably very obsolete by now), but the manuals I've seen don't exactly tell you whether the components can stand alone.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2012, 03:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It is amusing that the downconversion option makes it possible to create anamorphic widescreen VHS tapes. Seems a bit pointless to me!

(Although, with ED-Beta, the results might not be that bad.)

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2012, 07:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

publius wrote:
I think it may be possible to use some of the plasma-TV receiver units without their matching panels (which are likely to have gone bad by now!) as MUSE decoders (the other video processing functions are probably very obsolete by now), but the manuals I've seen don't exactly tell you whether the components can stand alone.

Thing is, that probably all those "TV receiver boxes" that came with Plasma screens have a special connector, that you can only connect to said Plasma screen and nowhere else. Also assuming they wont really do much more than "beep" without the screen being connected to them. The box connected to my Pioneer Kuro is totally useless and will do nothing without being connected to the display. Probably also because the remote sensor is in the screen bezel and not in that box :P It gets even better: Pioneer build in a device that checks if that box gets opened. If it is ever powered on while being open, it'll stop working all together and has to be sent to Pioneer service to be made working again. Someone on another forum however said, that it is safe to open while being unplugged, tho you also have to close it again without ever plugging it in :crazy:

Anyhow, just guessing those tv boxes are very likely not to work on their own.
Also guessing, that any optional MUSE cards [for Pioneer Plasmas] were either only available on the japanese market, or for models that are out of production in years.
The 8th and 9th generation Plasma screens had no optional card slot (unless hidden and not really known).

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2012, 20:28 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

publius wrote:
It is amusing that the downconversion option makes it possible to create anamorphic widescreen VHS tapes. Seems a bit pointless to me!

(Although, with ED-Beta, the results might not be that bad.)

I make anamorphic S-VHS tapes with the over-the-air antenna digital convertor box in my bedroom. It gives you the option to output the video in "squeeze" mode. I use the "Enhanced 16:9" mode on my WEGAs to un-squeeze them. Look pretty good actually! Now if only I had a Betacam SP deck for some better color reproduction :lol:

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2012, 19:48 
Huummm, interesting!
So can we order some "CARD" to Pioneer to have muse decoding or something?

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 16:04 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

lons_vex wrote:
publius wrote:
The 8th and 9th generation Plasma screens had no optional card slot (unless hidden and not really known).

Ive just checked my Pioneer Plasma PDP-428XD (UK Model) and it has a card slot. The operating instructions manual describes it as a 'COMMON INTERFACE' slot - For a CA Module with a smart card'.

Is this potentially useful for a MUSE connection? Or is its for an old school TV channel decoder card that was used in analogue satellite receivers in the 1990's - 2000's? The TV has no satellite box input connections, just an internal (now obsolete) analogue and digital (for Freeview) TV tuner.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 22:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The "Common Interface" slot is used for pay tv interface cards (CAM Module).
It is a weird system where you needed adapters for some cards, which made the cards get so hot that reception malfunctioned and whatnot.
This slot was also present on the 9th generation Plasma screens in Europe. In germany the system is still in use (HD+ and whatnot).

I don't think the MUSE card would fit into that. It will likely have a completely different *internal* connector. The MUSE card is likely an electronic device, kinda like for a computer device.
But who knows, maybe someone can construct an adapter...

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]