It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:19

Page 2 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elephant Condoms :(
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 03:21 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Not a big fan of the EC's. Does anyone know of a good paper/poly replacement ? Like someone mentioned earlier, I want to make sure they're not too big to fit inside the covers.

Brett

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 04:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

brettv99 wrote:
Not a big fan of the EC's. Does anyone know of a good paper/poly replacement ? Like someone mentioned earlier, I want to make sure they're not too big to fit inside the covers.

Brett

It's not that the paper sleeves are too big as much as it is that a lot of Japanese covers are too short (just by the smallest amount). The paper sleeves are all pretty much the same size, it's just things like quality, material and thickness that change.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 05:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

brettv99 wrote:

Brett

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-White-Paper-Poly-Lined-12-LP-Record-Sleeves-/321157588774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac67be726#ht_128wt_1271

these are fine for US laserdiscs, they are the antistatic like the ones on regular US discs.
but like naiaru says they will stick out a little on Japanese sleeves.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 05:16 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Thanks Guys ! I just wanted to make sure before I ordered any. I only have one disc from Hong Kong....the rest are US.

Brett

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 21:10 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ECs are really the best thing for LD, and even better for LP.

It can be a pain with US LDs since they end up crumpled and creased, sometimes even by the factory. As long as the aren't pre-wrinkled and the jacket is the right size, they aren't a problem.

I replaced many of my sleeves with the paper/plastic hybrid ones years and years ago. I've since switched back to ECs since they don't split at the sides and they fit better. It seemed like a good idea at the time...but really the ECs are better.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 21:38 
I just don't like them. I am very interested in seeing a video on how to handle, but at the end of the day, I like the paper with platic on the inside. I never have a problem with them splitting or crinkling... and on my very few JAP LDs, I dont mind it sticking out the back a bit. Come to think of it, I only have a few JAP LDs and they are all framed... so it really doesnt matter.

Anyway, ECs could be awesome... if they were just a little thicker material or less flimsy.

I am glad that what began as a drunken rant has sparked such a great convo.

Is anyone willing to trade their paper w/ plastic liners for EC's?

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 17:44 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Elephant condoms are, in my opinion, the biggest pain in the a** to deal with. They never go into the sleeve correctly, crumpling and crinkling, leaving the disc partially unprotected even in my Japanese releases.

I replaced all of them with poly-lined paper from Bags Unlimited and couldn't be happier.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 20:47 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

brettv99 wrote:

Brett

I've gotten mine for years from Bags Unlimited. They also have outer poly sleeves, one variety that will fit over box sets.

They are acid-free, blah blah and intended to be archival-quality for collectors (i use them for my LPs also). I've never had any yellowing or deterioration.

I never noticed them not fitting properly with Japanese or HK releases, but now I'm curious and am going to check when I get home to see if they do protrude a bit.

Oh, and count me as a "thumbs-down" on the ECs. Figuratively speaking...

- Mark

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 01:48 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Thanks Mark. I will check out the link.

Brett

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 19:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
There is a skill in how to handle them though. I can tell in about 2 seconds when I remove an EC from a used LD if the person
who previously owned the disc knew how to correctly handle the inner bag

Mind telling me what is the correct way to handle it?

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2018, 17:54 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

takeshi666 wrote:
laserdisc_fan wrote:
There is a skill in how to handle them though. I can tell in about 2 seconds when I remove an EC from a used LD if the person
who previously owned the disc knew how to correctly handle the inner bag

Mind telling me what is the correct way to handle it?

I'd ideally need to post a few pictures to really show the knack of handling ECs.
I need another person to take the pictures as both hands are needed to work with the sleeve and EC gracefully.

Essentially these are the key points:

If the EC is already crumpled don't try to use it. Bin it.
You need to start with a fresh undamaged one and keep it in good condition by careful handling at all times.

It gets damaged because it was inserted badly into the jacket.
This can happen during manufacturing or through poor handling.

Either way don't use a damaged EC - I believe that is why there is so much frustration with them.
They are impossible to fix if they have got crumpled up.

They can be easily obtained from most Japanese LP sellers on Ebay.
I tend to buy packs of about 200 or more so always have a good supply of them but you can ask sellers to sell smaller quantities if you wish.

I personally place the jacket on a table top or other firm surface with the open mouth facing up and use my right hand to press the mouth of the jacket slightly to open it without damaging the jacket. I then use my left hand to slide the EC containing the disc into the open jacket. I'm left handed so can only do it that way but it would work for someone else right handed if you use your left hand to hold the jacket and right hand to slide the disc in etc.

This allows it to easily glide into the jacket as ECs are almost frictionless.
The open mouth of the EC is facing the top of the jacket so the disc can't roll out and is also kept dust free.
Never drop the EC into the jacket as the weight of the disc may split the spine.
Slide it in gently - it wont require much pressure - perhaps a little wiggle if the sleeve is a very tight or contains an insert.

If you put the EC into the jacket in this way, it will come out in perfect condition everytime.

I personally use the real ECs - the one with a round bottom and square mouth since I find then a little easier to get into the jacket as you've 2 less square corners to guide in. I also prefer ECs that are a neater fit on the discs and not too loose or baggy as those ones tend to crumple up along the edges when you insert them into the sleeves.

I've done is so many times I don't even think about the steps but in comparisom I find paper sleeves a nuisance since there is so much friction the same method simply does not work.

The EC will eventually break down - all plastics do - I've a few really old LDs where the ECs had crumbled into dust but it will take many years before that happens and you can just replace it with another when it starts to become brittle.

I guess its a bit like a beginner trying to open a CD case for the first time.
I've seen people trying to pull the case open in utter frustration. Yet it only requires very gentle pressure on the sides to gently open it.
It's a similiar thing with ECs - once you've done it right once you'd never look back.
Gentle pressure with one hand to open the jacket then use the other hand to slide the EC in.

Getting the disc out is just as easy.
As before set the disc on a flat surface with mouth facing up.
Gently squeeze jacket with one hand to open it, then use the other hand to grab the disc from the centre of mouth - where you easily reach the disc and EC. Then pull it out. The disc will be perfectly protected from the elements if you handle ECs in this manner and the jacket will not get worn because there is virtually no friction with ECs unlike paper.

In terms of getting the disc out of the EC, I set the open end of the EC against the palm of my hand and then raise the EC gently.
As soon as the EC passes the label I reach up with my thumb to hold the disc by the centre hole so the disc is held securely by one hand as the EC is fully removed. It probably looks really slick to a novice who has never seen it done before yet it seems the most natural thing in the world to do it this way.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2018, 21:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

When I grab a Laserdisc, jacket and all, off the shelf, the disc is already sandwiched betwen my fingers and the jacket so it's not going to roll out, so I don't see a reason to put the EC in the jacket with the open end facing any way but out. Plus I use additional jacket covers with the open end on the top so they're easier to get in and out of the shelves, which also blocks the open end on the jacket preventing slipouts.

The way I put the EC in is I just slide the disc in it about halfway into the sleeve, let the rest slide in with a little help from gravity, and when it's mostly inside, I lower the rest in holding the EC by the corners so they don't wrinkle inside the jacket.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 04:51 
Honest fan
Honest fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
...I'd ideally need to post a few pictures to really show the knack of handling ECs.
I need another person to take the pictures as both hands are needed to work with the sleeve and EC gracefully...

Thanks! :clap: While not too gracefully, I was able to follow along enough to successfully insert EC's 10X better than I had been.
I also learned a couple things related & not related by trial & error:
1) A blow dryer will allow you to remove security tags. - GOOD!
2) Removing security tags with a blow dryer will slightly shrink the original shrink wrap - BAD
3) A blow dryer will work to smooth out a crumpled EC enough for your method to still work just fine - GOOD ...and...
4) a blow dryer will not shrink an EC - GOOD! 3 out of 4, not bad!

Would still like to see you post some pictures.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2019, 02:04 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Throw all your shrink wrap away now. LDFan forgot to mention that. This assumes you mean actual shrink and not Japanese style sealed bags. Shrink...it’s not meant to be kept and it makes collections look like trash. It’s actual literal garbage on your beautiful discs.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2019, 17:45 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
Throw all your shrink wrap away now. LDFan forgot to mention that. This assumes you mean actual shrink and not Japanese style sealed bags. Shrink...it’s not meant to be kept and it makes collections look like trash. It’s actual literal garbage on your beautiful discs.

While agreeing with almost every point you make, an early collecting rule I tend to go by is to "keep whatever others are throwing away".
I like seeing the original price tags & whatever else they might have stuck on like "*Laserdisc Exclusive Bonus Tracks!" etc. Also as I upgrade the non-significant discs, I plan on selling, so the plastic will help keep the covers more pristine so people like you will be happy when you get to remove it ;)

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2019, 21:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It doesn’t keep the cover more pristine. If you’re concerned about that buy real sleeves. Shrink isn’t tough, or UV protective or chemically stable and it also tugs at the corners. In other words, it accelerates decay, although usually minutely. It also makes your disc look like it’s been in a cutout bin all it’s life. If “collecting” is something you care about then eventually storage should be something you’re interested in. How to store an LD for long life on a shelf is nearly the same as how to store an LP. Keeping shrink on a sleeve is a no-no. It’s been that way since shrink wrap and record collecting first co-existed...60-70 years now, I’d imagine. Also, peal the stickers off your TV and hat. Take the paper floor mats out of your car and please please take the film off your phone’s screen. It’s collecting every single fingerprint and it’s staring to get fuzzy and discolored. Disposable protective/promotional things are made to protect/promote short term and then be disposed of.

When there is something stuck to the shrink I like I cut out out of the shrink, exactly around the sticker, and then I throw it in with the liner notes. This is pretty pointless most of the time but occasionally it helps me keep track of reissues and whatnot since the features change the covers often barely do. If I keep the sticker I can remind myself, “Oh, this is the Steven Wilson remix.” Or “Ok, new Stereo, not original stereo.” I don’t usually need to be reminded that something cost $39.99 so that stuff is gone forever.

Seriously, I just want to go to everyone’s house and peal the dumb stickers off of everything!

Cable Ready!
VCR Plus!
Stereo!
Five Band Graphic Equalizer!
37MPG!
PAID
Flat Screen!
I Voted!

Does anyone here have a TV with a sticker on it that actually advertises that it’s flat screen or that it has HDMI or something? Please take a photo.

Don’t even talk to me if you’re hoarding those horrendous CD sticker things they’ve put on US stuff since the 90s. Someone must be though.

I just realized Minnie Pearl did a much better job of expressing what I’m saying here a long time ago.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2019, 15:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Disposable protective/promotional things are made to protect/promote short term and then be disposed of.

That includes obis tho...

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2019, 16:28 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
Disposable protective/promotional things are made to protect/promote short term and then be disposed of.

That includes obis tho...

Sort of...but not exactly. Obis are made so Japanese speaking people (stores or collectors) can organize their shelves. Originally it was for books. They provide a more legible version of the spine without varying type faces and languages. They also often have info not present elsewhere on the package, like “remastered from original negative” or whatever. This way you can leave all that crap off the disc itself so it won’t look all American what with 11 different fonts on each side, quoting movie critics, bragging about how “erotic” the movie is or just printing “Laserdisc” or “Digital Sound” way too huge and too many times. Obis allows for artsy but hard to identify foreign releases to keep their entire original packaging design if needed because you can put the catalog number and kana title on the obi. Think; the White Album or anything early on Factory Records, stuff even people in US/EU/UK/AU have issues identifying.

My favorite Obi info comes from the Dreamcast version of Capcom vs SNK 2 where it says something like “2D fighting will not die!”, it was the last real 2D fighter they made I think, so I get a kick out of that every time I see it.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2020, 04:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Where does one acquire new ECs in this day and age anyway? I think whoever owned my Death Machine disc in the past replaced them with paper ones.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2020, 16:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

anti static LP sleeves.

Just did a search and that is what you should use.
last time I bought them I bought them from Japan, but I see China now sells them.

Page 2 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next