It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 03:42

Page 1 of 13 [ 242 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Ultimate list of Laserdisc titles that are significant
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2013, 04:28 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Ultimate list of Laserdisc titles that are technically and/or content wise significant

Here is the list of Laserdisc titles that are technically unique (i.e. only OAR edition, theatrical audio mix etc.) and do not have any equivalent on any other format. The list also includes Laserdisc titles that have extra content or different cuts of the content that are not available on any other format.

Courtesy of lizardkingjr, there exist two threads for commentaries unique to Laserdisc. Below are the links for those threads.

Criterion LD Commentaries NOT on DVD/BD

LaserDisc Commentaries NOT on DVD/BD

This list will be updated as more titles are suggested. There will be separate chapters for popular movies such as Star Wars, and The Godfather as these titles have several different editions unique to Laserdisc.
Some Laserdisc titles listed here may exist on DVD or Blu-ray on different markets than the US.

Please Suggest Laserdisc titles that has,
- Different aspect ratio than found on other media i.e. open matte, OAR etc.
- Different audio track i.e. theatrical mix, theatrical soundtrack restored etc.
- Different color timing i.e. director approved color timing, theatrical color timing etc.
- Different cut of the movie i.e. director’s cut, special edition, theatrical cut, unrated cut etc.
- Different extras i.e. commentaries, documentary, interview etc.
- Also titles exist only on Laserdisc.

For none-US releases, please indicate whether they are English friendly or not (i.e. anime, foreign etc.)

Last edited by substance on 28 Jan 2014, 17:01, edited 6 times in total. _________________
Coming Soon
Derman Labs
Anything Of Substance

Post subject: Re: Ultimate list of Laserdisc titles that are significant
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2013, 04:29 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Special Chapter:

In this chapter historically significant Laserdiscs are listed. They may be available on other formats but they first appeared on Laserdisc with a signifying technology or mastering method.

Chapter 1: Star Wars

Earlier CBS/FOX editions(CLV) are very close to theatrical cut. Early "A New Hope" pressings suffer shrinking aspect ratio. Aspect ratio gets wider as film progresses. Later Technidisc pressings are from a different master and free from this defect. they reportedly have less DVNR but has higher cross-talk levels.

Special Collection(CBS/FOX) Japanese releases are the first widescreen releases. They are in CAV format in correct aspect ratio and has no DNR or EE. Much preferred by purist.

Definitive Collection Laserdiscs are also very close to theatrical cut. They are in CAV format, each film is on 3 disc/6sides. Video content is similar to CBS/FOX but some dialog differs from the Definitive set. This collection has extras that are not on DVD/BD. This cut exist on GOUT DVD editions in none-anamorphic(letterboxed) with Dolby Digital 2.0(192kbps) as an extra content. Same D1 master as definitive collection was used. These DVDs are also OOP now.

Faces editions(CLV) include short interviews at the end that are also unique to these editions. Although mastered from the same D1 master as Definitive Collection, DNR and EE are more apparent on these discs.

Special edition set is the 1997 cut which exist only on Laserdisc. 2004 DVD release and 2012 BD releases have newer/altered cuts. Extra content on this set is also unique. Also available on VHS.

Special editions were pressed twice in Japan. Second pressing is much newer(11/22/2000) than the US and Japanese version and as similar to picture to US and first Japan pressings. There is a short 11min "Episode II making of" feature which is exclusive to this release.

Lucas also altered The Phantom Menace on DVD then BD then again on 3D theatrical release. Laserdisc release is the only theatrical cut along with VHS release. VCDs with this cut exist outside the US.

These below versions are PAL encoded. The first 2 are French Original Trilogy releases in THX/LBX and English audio(French imposed subtitles). The last one is the 1997 special edition in UK PAL version in English audio without subtitles. These versions represent SW Trilogy in highest resolution. PAL LD offers 625(576 visible) line vertical 440 line horizontal resolution opposed to NTSC LD's 525(480 visible) line vertical 425 line horizontal resolution. Lack of a reference quality Laserdisc player with PAL playback capability makes these releases less desirable.

Chapter 2: Godfather

1901-1980 set has all three movies merged together in one cut for TV broadcasting. It is open matte therefor in 1.33:1 aspect ratio.

1901-1959 Epic set is similar to above set but only has the first two movies mixed together. Only available in Japan.

Chapter 3: Disney

Below titles are the theatrical cuts. Disney later released these titles on DVD and BD but they are the newer cuts made in early 2000s and slightly different. LD versions have the theatrical soundtrack whereas DVD/BD versions have the newer home video mix.

Chapter 4: James Cameron and Super 35

Several of James Cameron films are available in "Director's Pan & Scan Edition". These versions have the matted portions removed of the Super 35 film therefore it is possible to see more information on the bottom and top while slightly less on sides. This List will also include other notable "Pan&Scan" editions from different directors.

Other notable Super35 films on LD:

Last edited by substance on 01 Feb 2014, 17:30, edited 77 times in total. _________________
Coming Soon
Derman Labs
Anything Of Substance

Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Chapter 5: NTSC Land

This section is dedicated for all the rest of the NTSC encoded Laserdisc releases which are significant.

Last edited by substance on 16 Sep 2015, 00:33, edited 84 times in total. _________________
Coming Soon
Derman Labs
Anything Of Substance

Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Chapter 6: Your Best Pal

This section is dedicated for PAL encoded Laserdiscs which are significant.

Chapter 7: No More Criterions

Here is the list of titles(by spine numbers) which are no longer released by Criterion Collection.

Chapter 8: Music/Concert Exclusives

Last edited by substance on 03 May 2014, 18:41, edited 12 times in total. _________________
Coming Soon
Derman Labs
Anything Of Substance

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2013, 04:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

reserved

Last edited by substance on 03 May 2014, 18:15, edited 2 times in total. _________________
Coming Soon
Derman Labs
Anything Of Substance

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2013, 04:39 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

reserved

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2013, 06:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have a couple to add..

THX-1138: The groundbreaking famous theatrical cut is not available on DVD or Blu-Ray, the best quality version of watching THX-1138 the way it was originally created is on Laserdisc.

The Evil Dead: The only way to see the film not cropped/edited at all and with a unique special blue tint to the colour timing is on LD.

I am a proud owner of both of these.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2013, 17:55 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

thank you alien. Did I pick the right edition for The Evil Dead? According to imdb.com original audio is mono. The US released LDs are in AC-3.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2013, 22:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Wow I did not have a clue Babylon was ever released on LD !!! Seems to be a rare release as
noone is selling anything and some of the episode LDs are missing in the database :(

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2013, 22:50 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

They are not missing:( 1st and 5th seasons are complete,only the first 6 episodes of 2nd and 4th seasons are available. None from season 3.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2013, 23:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
They are not missing:( 1st and 5th seasons are complete,only the first 6 episodes of 2nd and 4th seasons are available. None from season 3.

what ? That doesn't make any sense ?!?! Anyway, thank you for the clarification.

I really love the series.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2013, 02:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

alien wrote:
I have a couple to add..

THX-1138: The groundbreaking famous theatrical cut is not available on DVD or Blu-Ray, the best quality version of watching THX-1138 the way it was originally created is on Laserdisc.

The Evil Dead: The only way to see the film not cropped/edited at all and with a unique special blue tint to the colour timing is on LD.

THX 1138 ? From what I can see in the database most LDs seem to have rotten over the years.

Are the Japanese LD releases ( both of 'em ) identical to the US LD release ?

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2013, 05:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
thank you alien. Did I pick the right edition for The Evil Dead? According to imdb.com original audio is mono. The US released LDs are in AC-3.

I should have specified that there is only one particular edition of The Evil Dead on Laserdisc that is different from all other generic DVD, later Laserdisc and Blu-Ray versions and that is the Herald Videogram Japanese release which came out in 1985. That is the LD you want as far as significance goes (when it comes to the special blue filter in the colour timing and the film being completely untouched as far as cropping and zooming goes which all other releases suffer from). It's also in mono.

Evil Dead, The (1981) [SF078-5044]

So since your copy is from the U.S and has AC-3 audio, obviously its not the version on Laserdisc as far as significance goes.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2013, 05:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

confederate wrote:
alien wrote:
I have a couple to add..

THX 1138 ? From what I can see in the database most LDs seem to have rotten over the years.

Are the Japanese LD releases ( both of 'em ) identical to the US LD release ?

I can't talk in regards to whether or not the U.S Laserdisc versions are rotters, but I have the widescreen 1995 Japanese Laserdisc and apart from a couple of specs here and there, its perfectly fine and looks excellent. I'm not sure about the pan & scan 1986 Japanese Laserdisc as I don't have that one.

Anyway, the only difference between the U.S released versions and the Japanese released versions as far as LD goes is that some are fullscreen/pan & scan and others are letterbox/widescreen, obviously the latter are better and also have better PQ.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2013, 15:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The MCA DiscoVision release of Elton John Live in Edinburgh http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/28716/74-001/Elton-John:-In-Concert-at-Edinburgh - the MCA DV issue is the shows only release on any format, and although its mastered from a 16mm MONO print, its one of Elton's best performances - IF you can find a playable, non-rotted copy - unlike most early non-feature DiscoVision titles that were pressed at the DV Lab's in Torrance, CA, Elton has always seemed to suffer from a higher than normal amount of rot and defects.

I don't know what the show was filmed for (I.e. a specific network or syndication or perhaps MCA DV), but its wonderful and its lack of release on any other format makes it a truly significant LaserDisc - especially because it was THE VERY FIRST 'pop' LaserDisc released - it was supposed to be in the 1978 MCA DiscoVision Silver Catalog, but was omitted for some reason and it wasn't for sale during the mid-December 1978 Atlanta launch - it shows up for sale in early January of 1979. Its not listed in MCA's catalogs until the June 1979 update and ends up staying in the catalog so long that it makes it to a fully printed jacket with the chapter numbers of each song listed (the open-top box and side-open sticker jackets contain no song/chapter listing).

So, not only is it a significant title due to its lack of availability on any other format, but it's also a "LaserVision Landmark".

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2013, 15:45 
True fan
True fan

Cool thread. :thumbup: I won't buy an LD these days unless it has content that isn't available on DVD or BD.

TLK :cool:

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2013, 16:10 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Might want to add:

Fierce Creatures - R1 DVD is P&S while LD is OAR 2.35:1

It Came From Hollywood - no DVD or blu-ray

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2013, 16:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Quote:
The Devil's Advocate: http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/08173/150 ... -The-(1997) The sculpture scenes is unaltered. Also has the theatrical soundtrack.

Philip Stevens wanted me to pass on his following comments about The Devil's Advocate LaserDisc.

I disagree that this is a distinctive LaserDisc because the initial run of the DVD also has the sculpture unaltered AND had the original soundtrack - it was only when Warner reissued the DVD about 4 months later that the soundtrack was first altered and the 'new' blurred sculpture was inserted. As a side-note, Warner DID announce that the LaserDisc was also being reissued with the new "copyright court approved" version of the film, but the initial press-run of 15,000 copies was apparently enough.

BTW, although the video transfer is ghastly and further damaged with excessive edge enhancement, the LaserDisc looks much better than either DVD release because LaserDisc's natural high frequency video roll-off 'softens' the hard EE and makes everything smoother and look less like someone went crazy with Photoshop's sharpening filters.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2013, 17:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

substance wrote:
Chapter 1: Star Wars

Special edition set is the 1997 cut which exist only on Laserdisc. 2004 DVD release and 2012 BD releases have newer/altered cuts. Extra content on this set is also unique.
http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/07972/410 ... tion-(1997)

I own this on VCD so it's certainly not unique to LD, I'm fairly certain it was also released on VHS. My VCDs are fullscreen though so the laserdisc set may be the only version of the 1997 cut in widescreen.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 04:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

keep me updated

Page 1 of 13 [ 242 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next