It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:04

Page 21 of 22 [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Home Theater equipment list
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 15:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

dumbchemist wrote:
Here is my humble A/V setup:

Audio Video receiver (AVR):

Sony STR-DE935.

Feeding A/V into the AVR:

DirecTV receiver
Sony MDP-600 LD player
Sony SB-V55A A/V switch
Sony DVP-CX850D CD/DVD player (200 disc changer)
Sony SDP-E800 DSP
Lafayette SQ-L 4 channel audio decoder
ElectroVoice EVX-4 stereo-4 audio decoder

Feeding the Sony SB-V55A A/V switch:

RCA Home Theater VHS VCR
2-Sears 934.....150 CED players
RCA SJT-200 CED player

Feeding the SDP-E800DSP:

Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD player
Sony SDP-5300 Blue-Ray player
Pioneer CLD-D406 LD player

Monitor: Sony 27" Wega SDTV (a good TV; but, only displays 480i and 480p)

Future upgrades:

Replace the Wega SDTV with a Vizio 39" HDTV (or equivalent)
Insert an Hitachi AVC080 Audio Video Center between the AVR and the HDTV. The Hitachi will digitize and upscale the video signal to 1080i or p. The Sony BR and the Toshiba HD-DVD players will feed their HDMI signals into the Hitachi center.

The, the, the, that's all folks.

Update, Update

I have recently replaced the STR-DE935 with a Sony DA2ES receiver. I bought it used off E-bay. The seller stated that the DA2ES had been used in a second home and has very low hours of usage. Based on how clean the amp is, I believe him.

Does anyone else have a DA2ES and what is your impression of it.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 15:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

dumbchemist wrote:
dumbchemist wrote:

Sony STR-DE935.

DirecTV receiver
Sony MDP-600 LD player
Sony SB-V55A A/V switch
Sony SDP-E800 DSP

RCA Home Theater VHS VCR
RCA SJT-200 CED player

Feeding the SDP-E800DSP:

Future upgrades:

Insert an Hitachi AVC080 Audio Video Center between the AVR and the HDTV. The Hitachi will digitize and upscale the video signal to 1080i or p. The Sony BR and the Toshiba HD-DVD players will feed their HDMI signals into the Hitachi center.

Update, Update

I have recently replaced the STR-DE935 with a Sony DA2ES receiver. I bought it used off E-bay. The seller stated that the DA2ES had been used in a second home and has very low hours of usage. Based on how clean the amp is, I believe him.

That's a rather old model, no HDMI correct? May I ask why not go with a receiver so that the audio can be decoded on the receiver side? It just seems you don't have the "typical" set up. I am not sure of the purpose of the Hitachi between the AVR and the TV? Or am I missing something?

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 21:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

invenio wrote:
dumbchemist wrote:
dumbchemist wrote:

Sony STR-DE935.

DirecTV receiver
Sony MDP-600 LD player
Sony SB-V55A A/V switch
Sony SDP-E800 DSP

RCA Home Theater VHS VCR
RCA SJT-200 CED player

Feeding the SDP-E800DSP:

Future upgrades:

Update, Update

That's a rather old model, no HDMI correct? May I ask why not go with a receiver so that the audio can be decoded on the receiver side? It just seems you don't have the "typical" set up. I am not sure of the purpose of the Hitachi between the AVR and the TV? Or am I missing something?

Yes, the DA2ES has no HDMI which is fine by me. You see, most of my video sources ouput composite video which is analog. Video sources include DirectTV receiver, Pioneer Laserdisc player, CED videodisc player, and a 200 disc DVD player. The Hitachi can take the composite video output of the AVR and upscale and digitize it so that an HDTV can work with the video using HDMI. Some HDTV's do not work well with analog video (i.e. composite) and the Hitachi will prevent video problems on the HDTV. The AVR will do the DTS and Dolby audio decoding. The Hitachi has 3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output which will go to the HDTV. One HDMI input on the HItachi will be for my Bluray player and the other HDMI input will be for my HD-DVD player. The Hitachi also has 2 composite inputs and 2 component inputs. I will be using one of the composite inputs to accept the output of the DA2ES. The DA2ES will be doing the composite video switching for me.

The DA2ES is an older AVR which still has control-s outputs. (Sony, in their infinite wisdom, has discontinued the control-s on their more modern equipment) The control-s works well for me as I have some equipment in a closet about 18 feet from the AVR. I have run wiring from the AVR to the closet. The control-s eliminates the need for an IR repeater. The equipment is a Sony 200 disc DVD changer, a Sony VCR and a Sony Laserdisc player which have control-s input jacks. Because of the control-s, I can aim my remote control (say for the DVD changer) at the AVR and the IR commands will go over the control-s cabling to the changer in the closet and operate it. Or, I can turn on the 200 disc DVD changer and my AVR will detect it and switch itself to the DVD input or I can hit the power button on the DVD remote and the changer will turn on and the AVR will switch its input to the DVD.

I hope I have explained this clearly. In my situation, a more modern AVR would actually be of less use to me than an older AVR. I would need to install an IR repeater and IR emiiters on my equipment which would be messy IMHO.

Last edited by dumbchemist on 29 Jan 2014, 18:44, edited 1 time in total. _________________
LD
Pioneer CLD-D406
Sony MDP-600
CED

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2014, 04:09 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

All is clear. Just the hitachi part? Why hitachi? Its not a very well known or popular video processor. Does it have some magic we dont know about?

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2014, 10:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
All is clear. Just the hitachi part? Why hitachi? Its not a very well known or popular video processor. Does it have some magic we dont know about?

Well, I don't know if it has any "magic". I bought the Hitachi from a guy who was selling them off the CED forum (I think it was rixrex). He highly recommended it as it solves the problem that some HDTV's have in displaying analog video. The cost was very reasonable (~$80 if I remember correctly). Currently, I don't have an HDTV so the Hitachi sits, gathers dust and waits for the day I can put it to use. Who knows, maybe it will be a gutless wonder and it will be tossed out the window (lol). Time will tell.

Go to http://www.cowboom.com/product/581628 for more info.

PS: I did not know that the DA2ES was SO OLD. If the copyright date (2002) on the instruction manual is the same for the DA2ES, IT IS OLD. I don't mind if is is that old as it looks like it was just removed from the box. Clean and all functions work which is what I wanted.
CED

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2014, 22:05 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

what model is your TV. I have an Hitatchi L32A404 I got from Walmart that seemed to be discontinued the exact moment they went on sale. or at least that is what it seemed. It was hard to find one.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2014, 15:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

xtempo wrote:
what model is your TV. I have an Hitatchi L32A404 I got from Walmart that seemed to be discontinued the exact moment they went on sale. or at least that is what it seemed. It was hard to find one.

My SDTV is a 27" Sony Wega which displays only 480i/p. I am contemplating a 30" 720p HDTV in the future. Its manufacturer is still up in the air.

To quote the box that the Hitachi came in: "This AV Center is intended for use with Hitachi Ultra Thin monitors that include remote controls". In trying to find its age, I could not find a copyright date on the manual. Oh well, I hope it will do what I want it to do.
CED

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 19:31 
True fan
True fan

Because of renovation of my home...
My equipment is stored at a friends house...
So still no setup pictures.

But...

Left top to bottom:

Homemade Tube line amplifier + speaker and tape switch in a Uher LA-1200 Power amp housing
Philips VR-1000 = SVHS recorder with TBC (modified)
Pioneer CLD-D925 = Laserdisc player (modified)
Sony SL-HF950 = Super Betamax recorder
Toshiba XR-Z90 = CD player
Sony STR-DA2400ES = 7.1 AVR (modified)
Sony TA-N55ES = Power amp (modified)
Pioneer CT-939 MKII Reference = Cassettedeck

Middle top to bottom:

- on it's side - Sony CDX-100 = 100 CD changer
Sony BDP-S350 = Bluray player (modified)
Teac X-1000M = Open reel tapedeck 2 track @ 7,5 and 19 ips with DBX

Right top to bottom:

Pioneer PL-3F Elite = Turntable with Benz Micro MC cartridge
Harman Kardon ADP-303 = AC3 decoder (modified)
Denon DA-500 = D/A Converter (modified)
Onkyo MD-2511 = Minidisc recorder
Pioneer A-717 MKII Reference = Integrated Amplifier
Sony DVP-NS900QS = SACD/DVD player
Onkyo Integra DX-706 = CD player (modified)
Akai AT-K02 = Tuner (complete rebuild and modified with tubes and better stereodecoder)
Sony DTC-55ES = DAT recorder (modified)

In the front = my HT computer

Not on the picture:

Toshiba HD-A30 = HD-DVD player (modified)
LG 42LH3300 = 42" LCD full HD TV
Bang & Olufsen Beovox M100 = front and stereo speakers (refurbished and modified)
Yamaha NS-C150 = center speaker (rebuild and modified)
Yamaha NX-E100 = rear speakers (modified)
Koda SW-800 = subwoofer

I hope my entertainment room is ready soon! :angel:

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2014, 17:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I've made a lot of changes in recent months - most notably replaced my CLD-950 with a CLD-D925, and added an Onkyo AC-3 decoder, a switch box to let me use optical digital from all of the devices that currently support it, since my current amp only has one optical digital input, replaced my old upscaling DVD player with a blu-ray player (which also does web TV things), and replaced the old TV stand which was falling apart. So here's my current setup. It's already apparent that the current table is too small, eventually I want to replace it (and the wire shelves next to it) with something more suitable, possibly a wider set of shelves.

1 - Sony STR DEA475 amp; Surround sound, receiver, etc.
2 - Pioneer CLD-D925 laserdisc player
3 - SCART switch - also called Euroconnector, this is a big clunky analogue RGB & sound connector, used by my older kit.
4 - Ellion DVD/HD recorder. The laserdisc player and video and digital receiver feed into this via SCART, with output to the TV.
5 - Onkyo ED-901 AC-3 RF decoder - converts all laserdisc sound outputs to 5.1-channel audio.
6 - Optical switch for TOSLINK optical digital sources (computer, digital TV receiver, DVD recorder) to amp
7 - Astratec digital TV receiver/HD recorder
8 - Sony BDP-S1100 Blu-Ray player; region hacked for DVDs, and connects to the internet for BBC iPlayer and other online video and audio sources etc.
9 - Toshiba SD-22VB VCR/DVD player
10 Computer, a fairly basic Linux box that's mostly a backup PC and used occasionally for media files.

The speakers etc. haven't changed since my last update.

I actually got round to watching a movie last night, for the first time in weeks. Only another 250 or so to go from the "unwatched" pile...

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2014, 17:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

(( OUT OF DATE ))

Last edited by tasuke on 30 May 2016, 19:36, edited 1 time in total. _________________
* PIONEER CLD-3030 Compatible LDP (1988) (( http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3094 ))

PostPosted: 04 May 2014, 17:58 
True fan
True fan

Well, my sleeping room is ready.... :roll:

setup for musical enjoyment.....

JVC VN-700 amplifier (aboit 40 years old) I'm still in love with it.... It just keeps working!
Bang & Olufsen CDX-2 CD player (modified) Beautiful thing!
Bang & Olufsen Beogram 3300 turntable (new wiring) also beautiful!
Musical Fidelity X-DAC D/A converter (modified)
Musical Fidelity X10-D tube linebuffer (new tubes) optionally useablel thru tapeloop when preferred :P
Nikko FAM-500 tuner (gefurbished) great tuner and looks great together with the amplifier!
Onkyo D-202 speakers (2 way, BR with 16cm woofers) sounds incredible on the JVC amplifier!

Together it appears to be a match made in heaven in the sleeping room!

And for the filmfanatic in me:

Fujitsu Siemens 82cm LCD TV
HQ AVSWITCH-70 Component video switch
Rotel RTC-850 Preceiver
Samsung BDP-1500 Bluray player
Toshiba HD-EP30 HD-DVD player
Philips DVDR-7310 HDD/DVD recorder
Pioneer CLD-D515 Laserdisc player
Philips (actually a JVC) VR-1000 SVHS videorecorder
Goodmans Arena speakers (at my headside from my bed :P )

PostPosted: 04 May 2014, 20:42 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

upgrade bug has returned. I think I am adding a Lumagen Radiance 2021 to the chain soon.

HLD-X0 composite out(BNC) -> Crystalio II 3D comb filter/Gennum VXP De-interlacing to HDMI 480p -> Algolith Mosquito HDMI Analog noise reduction -> Lumagen Radiance 2021 no ringing scaling + 729 point color management system + darbee darblet to 1080p -> 60" Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma

Wait a minute!! Looks like the upcoming lumagen radiance 2141 has 3d comb filter. If it is any good, i might just skip all above and run hldx0 into new radiance.

PostPosted: 05 May 2014, 17:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thank you for sharing everyone,

It's fascinating to read about others systems.

I am inspired by the small details, and this comes from the unlikeliest of places of what others have shared.

All the best to everyone

I have some changes coming along soon to my own system, and once they are in place I shall share with this site.
It may not happen until the end of this year, but other none AV items are currently being purchased, that will finish of my living room.

The item to be added with be the last Stand from HiFi Racks that will need to be made to order.
It's been a long time coming.

Thank you again everyone

Kindest Regards

:wave: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 14 May 2014, 17:17 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

My Home Theater

PostPosted: 14 May 2014, 19:00 
True fan
True fan

Damn, you guys make me feel pitiful in comparison. I never have the $ to really put into my setup, so it's still primarily SD oriented. My speaker stands are wood barstools, and we built my tv stand out of some spare lumber. (works really well actually!) Everything else is sadly on the floor or on a side table, which isn't the neatest but since I have very little space it gets the job done.

Sony 36" Trinitron flat panel CRT 4:3 w/composite, s-video, component. 16:9 enhanced option used for anamorphic content. Calibrated with Video Essentials for LD and THX optimizer for DVD (separate setting presets allow for quick switching)
PS3 via component for DVD w/optical
Sony STR-DE675
Pioneer CLD-D702 and DVL-700 for CD via coaxial
Klipsch KG .5 for Left and Right front and surrounds, KV-1 for center, SWV for subwoofer
Sony sdp-e800 for DD ac3 decoding
Sennheiser HD-518 and HD-380 pro for headphone listening
Technics SL-1200 mkii with Shure m97xe cart, running into Yamaha RX-395 for preamp

On my PC I use foobar2000 and listen only to FLAC and lossless audio. On the go I use FLAC on my rockboxed Sansa Clip+.

PostPosted: 14 May 2014, 19:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:

Love all the McIntosh gear!

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2014, 09:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I finally got hold of some strong industrial shelving, which is what I should have done in the first place, so changed my setup again. I have some VERY strong wheels on order for this, but they haven't come yet.

Going down the left hand side first:

* Astratec digital TV receiver/HD recorder
* Ellion DVD/HD recorder. The laserdisc player and video and digital receiver feed into this via SCART, with output to the TV.
* Sony BDP-S1100 Blu-Ray player; region hacked for DVDs, and connects to the internet for BBC iPlayer and other online video and audio sources etc. A bit difficult to see since it's partially concealed by the shelves. It's on top of an Elonex computer, a fairly basic Linux box.
* Toshiba SD-22VB VCR/DVD player

On the right hand side:

* SCART switch
* Onkyo ED-901 AC-3 RF decoder - converts all laserdisc sound outputs to 5.1-channel component audio.
* Pioneer CLD-D925 laserdisc player
* Sony STR DEA475 amp; Surround sound, receiver, etc.

I've ditched an optical Toslink switch I previously installed, since it was a pain to use and spent 99% of its time set to laserdisc, and the analogue output from the other things linked to it seems to be as good as the digital.

On the floor:

* Gale Sub 5 50w subwoofer (I leave it unplugged when I'm not using it because the wall plug gets warm)

The screen is a Teco 40" LCD - it works but it's about eleven years old, I'll probably replace it with something better sooner or later. Not necessarily bigger, since I only sit about 10ft away (though there are some fairly tempting offers on 50" screens at present) but hopefully higher definition and better brightness / contrast. There's an Eltax centre speaker on the floor in front of the fireplace, next to the subwoofer. The other speakers are also Eltax models - the smaller JPW speakers are for my hi-fi, which is a separate system with speakers in several rooms.

update - Since posting the above I've moved the digital TV receiver down to on top of the VCR, and put the blu-ray player in its place. This makes a LOT more sense for accessibility - I never need to touch the TV receiver so it might as well be down low, whereas I need to put disks and occasionally plug USB sticks into the blu-ray player, it helps to have it as accessible as possible.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2014, 20:18 
Hey there, I have been following this post with quite some interest for a while now, it is safe to say you have an awsome setup there buddy :o . I am currently running all ex cinema equipment and I will hopefully start putting my home entertainment area together soon.

So far I have:

2x cp500 dolby processors
Dolby cp45
Dolby cp65

9x cinemeccanica c300 mono amps
1x altec lansing 9444b stereo amp
1x kenwood ka 701 ( faulty pot )

Kenwood ge-80 graphic eq ( just for reciever use )

Kenwood kt-400 am/fm reciever

I had to part with:

2x altec lansing 9444b stereo amp
2x ev cps 2 stereo amp
2x cinemeccanica c600 stereo amp

I was part of the installation team when the cinama company I work for changed from 35mm to digital projection so I managed to score plenty of bits and pieces but you would be amazed at the stuff we dumped, not knowing at the time that people may be interested in it, for eg: we dumped 3x sdds processors and heads and numerous cp45 60 and 500 units.

I hope to hear from you again soon with some updates on ur awsome setup. I'llbe updating my list soon becauseim picking up some new stuff soon and having my speakers refurbished.

PostPosted: 11 May 2015, 18:48 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Wow..all great stuff! Here's my setup for the main living room...

TV:
LG Infinia 55LW5600

Speakers:
Klipsch RC-3 II - Center
Klipsch RS-35 x2 - Rears
DefTech Pro 1000 x2 - Fronts
Sony SA-WM40 x2 - Subs (daisy chained)

Main Players:
Pioneer SC-1223 - Receiver
Pioneer CLD-99 - LaserDisc
Toshiba HD-XA2 - HDDVD
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 - Blu-ray
JVC HR-S7100U - S-VHS
Panasonic DMR-ES15S - DVD Recorder (for comb filter)

Extras:
Etekcity HDMI converter - Composite/S-Video/HDMI --> HDMI
Datavideo TBC-1000
AppleTV 3rd Gen.
PS4

Last edited by bmich1 on 12 May 2015, 02:16, edited 1 time in total. _________________
LD: Pioneer CLD-99, CLD-704 and Yamaha CDV-W901

HD DVD: HD-A2, HD-XA2, HD-A3, HD-A30, HD-A35, 360x2

PostPosted: 12 May 2015, 01:37 
Serious fan
Serious fan

TV: Sony Bravia KDL-32L4000, got it on sale and I never plan to give it up, it's input galore. 2 HDMI, 2 Component, 2 Composite, VGA, coaxial, dedicated RCA audio out, S-Video, etc.
Sound: TEAC MC-D80 receiver/CD player. Not amazing but it was fairly inexpensive and sounds nice. Paired with a set of Pioneer SP-BS21LR speakers, which I got on closeout for $70 shipped for the pair (NIB).

Media:
Pioneer S-104 for LaserDisc
PS3 for Blu-ray, Netflix, and MP4 viewing.
Mac Mini HTPC for iTunes content. (I'll probably be selling the Mini and putting my G4 Cube back into media service shortly)

I have a Roku 2 HD, but it has major wireless signal issues in my building and I got so tired of dealing with it that it's in a drawer now.

Page 21 of 22 [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next