It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:56

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: How can I tell if a DVD player has DVD-A capability
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 12:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I've got three DVD players but none of them specificially say that they're DVD-A compatible, and needless to say I have long since lost the manuals.

Should I assume that if they aren't labelled DVD-A they can't handle it, or are things more complicated than that?

Post subject: Re: How can I tell if a DVD player has DVD-A capability
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 16:07 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

If there is no mention then its not a dvd-a player. Regular dvd players can play the core tracks in dts and dolby digital in 20bit/48khz lossy/compressed. Dvd-a player on the same disc can play lossless/uncompressed 24bit/192khz pcm and multichannel meridien lossless packing (mlp)which is then converted to 24bit/96khz.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 00:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

OK, that makes it clearer. Given the difficulty of finding these players at anything like a reasonable price I'd better pass.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 00:50 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

your best bet is oppo dv-980h. it is a universal player that can play dvd-v, dvd-a, cd, sacd. it often sells for $100-120 on ebay but can be found for under as well. it is a light/slim machine so shipping is much less than other heavy transports. the older model dv-970h has dvi instead of hdmi but sells for less.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 11:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
your best bet is oppo dv-980h. it is a universal player that can play dvd-v, dvd-a, cd, sacd. it often sells for $100-120 on ebay but can be found for under as well. it is a light/slim machine so shipping is much less than other heavy transports. the older model dv-970h has dvi instead of hdmi but sells for less.

I'm in the UK so that may not be much use to me. To be honest, this is really not a high priority for me - I was just wondering if there was a way to try it that wouldn't cost a ton of money, but having checked ebay UK's prices for the discs I think I'd better forget about it.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 15:56 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Oppo can be region free with a simple code on the remote control but you are right discs are more expensive than cds.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 16:45 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I thought oppos had to have a hardware mod that one can easily do it ones self since it was taking a cable out and hooking it up to a board then hook the board to where the cable was suppose to go.

I like them but they are terribly expensive and plus I started into it late so some of the titles I want are hard to find and are expensive just like SACDs.

I don't think your missing anything. I collect like I do other formats but only some I really want and hopefully I can get for a good price.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 17:43 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

oppo bluray players need hardware mod which is really easy. it took me 20 mins to mod my bdp-105 which is the most difficult because of the extra audio board being in the way. if you don't care for a stealthy (none visible) mod, you can just connect the mod board to the rs-232 port in the back and the power cord to one of the usb ports.

all dvd players are just a bunch of commands you click on the remote control to unlock region free.

dv-980h has the best mediatek mpeg decoder which is totaly chroma bug free(cue). it is further tweaked by oppo for better deinterlacing and scaling(1080p capable). Why people seeks this player is it is one of the rare dvd player that can output 480i over hdmi unmolested in yuv 422(hdmi spec doesn't support 420 so minor conversion to 422). Layer change delay is almost none and it can output DSD(sacd audio) unmolested from its hdmi output. It is pretty fast to access menus and play discs. It is one of the best transports out there. definitely the best under $500. the only its missing is it doesn't have any custom install support(no rs-232, no ir port)

there are other now defunct universal disc player under $300 but they all have chroma upsampling error due to outdated mpeg decoder, slow layer change(1-3 seconds), and generally slow operations.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 12:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thanks to both of you - I really think I'd better leave this - it would be different if I'd found a stash of cheap disks somewhere, but since that isn't the case I might as well avoid buying equipment that may only be used for one or two disks.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2014, 23:04 
Honest fan
Honest fan

hi! There is a really cheap and good player: Pioneer DV-578. You could find it over there, maybe in a thrift shop, for a few dollars.
Not only plays DVD-Audio and SACD; it plays DVD-Audio on DVDR too.

PS: I hope my english is good enough

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2014, 00:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

betocure wrote:
hi! There is a really cheap and good player: Pioneer DV-578. You could find it over there, maybe in a thrift shop, for a few dollars.
Not only plays DVD-Audio and SACD; it plays DVD-Audio on DVDR too.

PS: I hope my english is good enough

I don't think it was sold in Britain, there's nobody trying to sell them on Amazon, Ebay UK, etc. The European market tends to have different equipment than the rest of the world, since we use PAL video, SCART connectors for video, and 230v power.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2014, 21:35 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

If the box, unit and manual have the DVD-Audio logo on them, it can play DVD-Audio discs properly:

I think most DVD players can "play" DVD-Audio discs, but you won't get the full DVD-Audio effect from them unless it's specified that they're DVD-Audio players.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2014, 21:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

None of my players have the logo, and I think I'm about to spend too much money on another laserdisc player so think I'd better forget about it for now.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2014, 01:15 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

You can listen to dolby digital and dts tracks on dvd players. Mlp lossless tracks and 24/96 pcm are reserved for dvd-a players.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2014, 01:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
You can listen to dolby digital and dts tracks on dvd players. Mlp lossless tracks and 24/96 pcm are reserved for dvd-a players.

Since I don't actually own any of the discs, or see much chance of getting them at a reasonable price, I think I'm going to forget about it unless the situation changes.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2015, 02:58 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The most stupid thing about the whole things is that they didn't implement it right away in literally every blu ray player, as every blu ray player can play pcm multichannel high res audio out of the box via hdmi, so why not on a dvd as dvda? People could then simply put their self made 24/192 vinyl captures or their own recordings onto cheap dvd media that everyone could play then without a hassle. Now i always have to dither it down to 44,1 when i would send my friends some music.
Sacd is way harder to implement as it has also different hardware, but you will find sacd more often on blu ray players (mostly Sony) then dvd-a.

I also notice there are dvd-a's that can be played right away without having to use a tv for menu's.
Actually sacd dvd-a capable players have seperate buttons for which audio group 2ch multich to choose. Some dvd-a's also do output 24/96 stereo through the toslink, for example Björk's Medulla.
Stupid licences.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2015, 11:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Do you really have to dither a vinyl recording when downsampling to 16/44.1 (from anything higher)? The high noise floor should be enough to round off it all. Not that I think anyone would notice the additional dither though...

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2020, 22:55 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

svwees wrote:
The most stupid thing about the whole things is that they didn't implement it right away in literally every blu ray player, as every blu ray player can play pcm multichannel high res audio out of the box via hdmi, so why not on a dvd as dvda? People could then simply put their self made 24/192 vinyl captures or their own recordings onto cheap dvd media that everyone could play then without a hassle. Now i always have to dither it down to 44,1 when i would send my friends some music.
Sacd is way harder to implement as it has also different hardware, but you will find sacd more often on blu ray players (mostly Sony) then dvd-a.

The main reason why you wouldn't at least initially see DVD-A supported on blu-ray players was that blu-ray was Sony's creation, and DVD-A was Panasonic's. Wouldn't make any sense for Sony or any other blu-ray player manufacturer to support DVD-A--especially when Sony had the competing SACD format.

Sony did at least make one early blu-ray player compatible with SACD, and that was the original Playstation 3 (if anyone knows of any other early blu-ray players with SACD playback, please let me know.)

I imagine Panasonic might have incorporated DVD-A into their blu-ray players (since they were a blu-ray supporter, not an HD-DVD supporter), but by then (2005-2006) they might have already seen that DVD-Audio wasn't going anywhere and not bothered.

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]