It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:53

Page 3 of 4 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Interfacing MUSE A-Mode 3+1 and B-Mode with modern equip
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2015, 23:18 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hello and good evening.

If anyone is interested, there is another unit that is maybe able to do this.

It's a 1991 Denon AVP-5000 Pro-Logic only pre-amp that has BS inputs.
And that's incredible, the european version has this inputs, too, though Hi-Vision never made it's way here.
Found it today on ebay. And no, i'm not the seller.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Denon-AVP-5000-6-Kanal-Vorverstarker-/161745538714?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item25a8c90e9a

Found this infos:
http://audio-database.com/DENON-COLUMBIA/amp/avp-5000-e.html
and this one in japanese:
http://www.denon.jp/jp/museum/products/avp5000.html

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2015, 09:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The thing with older DENON equipment and the "HI-Vision" inputs is...
The inputs are basically analog 5.1 inputs.
I do not know the AVP-5000, but my AVP-A1 also has HI-VISION
inputs, and it displays HI-VISION on its display if I select that input.
I use that "Multi-Channel Input" to connect my external dts Decoder.

On the backside of the AVP-5000 it is different indeed, it is just mono
Center/Rear inputs, which can probably be joined with L/R.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2015, 15:26 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Denon AVP-A1 and 5000 are the same as Pioneer SP-99D and 07D. With the A1 you use a Y splitter fir the stereo rear inputs and the other units have mono rear input which means they do the Y split internally. 5000 doesn't have a subwoofer output as its a pro logic decoder.

These above devices can be useful if your modern reciever only does 5.1 analog input pass through which is the common type. These above can apply bass management(direct bass to sw), level and delay.

Still one catch, almost all modern gear won't apply dsp on 5.1 (7.1 is more common actually) input. This is where the DTS encoder is usefull. It sends the signal as DTS5.1 digitally. All receivers should be able to take that signal and apply room correction such as audyssey, ypao. They can also upmix the signal to 7.1.

Another advantage is if you have your video gear and audio gear separate in different locations, you just need one optical cable to carry the signal opposed to 6 rca.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2015, 03:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

substance wrote:
It would be nice to be able stay in digital domain all the way. I am guessing any muse decoder would have very primitive dacs the spd99 would digitize them again for time-delay, bass management and its dsp. Then once more converted to analog via 20 years old dacs. My ssp would digitize the multich input once more for room correction at least.

Incidentally, I cracked open my MSC-3000s the other day for some photos. There are some beautiful Burr-Brown DACs on the audio board, although I need to look up the part numbers for more detail.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2015, 14:06 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

publius wrote:
substance wrote:
It would be nice to be able stay in digital domain all the way. I am guessing any muse decoder would have very primitive dacs the spd99 would digitize them again for time-delay, bass management and its dsp. Then once more converted to analog via 20 years old dacs. My ssp would digitize the multich input once more for room correction at least.

Incidentally, I cracked open my MSC-3000s the other day for some photos. There are some beautiful Burr-Brown DACs on the audio board, although I need to look up the part numbers for more detail.

I gave up on this detail. Any added hw make it too complex and more added junk to my already crowded setup. My current SSP (McIntosh MX-121) doesn't digitize/process its multi-channel input like most SSP. I am awaiting the new MX-160 to be available within a couple of weeks. That one as far as I know digitizes its multi-channel input for DSP and room correction sw. It will be best to connect analog outputs from MSC-4000 to MX-160 and have it upmix to Dolby Atmos or Barco Auro 3D.

It is great to hear the Sony unit has some decent burr-brown DACs. Nicolas Santini told me he had a dozen or so MSC-4000 in stock (at the time when I bought mine)and later built ones had some minor differences internally. He said he isn't an engineer so he can't tell what they are. I bought a late model from him, I should open up and take pictures so we can compare.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2015, 20:07 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Looking at the block diagram for the Pioneer SP-D99 and D07, they are useless for Muse decoders. 4ch inputs are tied to outputs with simple analog mixers. The internal crossover and digital dsp (needed for delay/distance) are ignored for this input.

Creative DTS-610 still seems to be the best for muse decoders.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2015, 22:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yes I'd done a bit of searching on here and decided to give the SP-D07 a go. It was disappointing to realise once it arrived that proper bass management, delay etc could not be applied to the 4-ch input:

audioboyz1973 wrote:
Thanks xtempo!

In the meantime I got bored yesterday stuck at home off work due to illness so I came up with this translation of the block diagram in the Japanese manual as I was curious about it:

I was a little disappointed to find it appears the 4-channel input (Line 2) bypasses the crossover network section so presumably the crossover frequency control for the sub-woofer and speaker settings like the 'small' and 'large' selections wouldn't function. It pretty much just seems to be a pass-through which splits the rear into 2 and bleeds off a sub-woofer signal from the fronts and centre.

To use the 4-channel input as that, the unit needs to be set to 'surround off', otherwise processing is applied to the front left and right channels only. So for B-mode audio this is what you'd do to apply pro-logic processing, but for A-mode 3+1 surround needs to be turned off to pass the 4 channels through; otherwise you get pro-logic processing of just the front left and right of A-mode and the centre and surround channels are missing.

I had a listen to the sub-woofer out (A-mode in, surround off) plugged through the centre input of the amp and some form of low-pass/high-cut filter seems to be in place - it's definitely not full range. But the crossover setting has no effect as I assumed above, there is no momentary mute when the setting is changed as is the case when pro-logic processing is happening. Changing the speaker size settings does bring a momentary mute in output, though it does not appear to be fully functional - for example turning the centre setting to off does mute the centre speaker, but it is not redistributed to the front left and right.

Still I'm happy with it overall as it does provide a neat way of deriving a sub-woofer output, and adjusting levels for A-mode audio.

However in my case not completely useless. My receiver only passes through the 6.1 input, no bass management there either, so at least it lets me have all speakers including the sub-woofer operational and actually listening to discs it gives a good enough result. I'm still curious to give the DTS-610 a go at some point but would need to figure out the best way of getting the .1 from it.

EDIT: Photobucket edit Sept 19!

Last edited by audioboyz1973 on 25 Sep 2019, 16:02, edited 2 times in total. _________________
Looking for Hi-Vision Discs (MUSE or HDVS).......

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2015, 23:50 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
Yes I'd done a bit of searching on here and decided to give the SP-D07 a go. It was disappointing to realise once it arrived that proper bass management, delay etc could not be applied to the 4-ch input:

audioboyz1973 wrote:
Thanks xtempo!

In the meantime I got bored yesterday stuck at home off work due to illness so I came up with this translation of the block diagram in the Japanese manual as I was curious about it:

I was a little disappointed to find it appears the 4-channel input (Line 2) bypasses the crossover network section so presumably the crossover frequency control for the sub-woofer and speaker settings like the 'small' and 'large' selections wouldn't function. It pretty much just seems to be a pass-through which splits the rear into 2 and bleeds off a sub-woofer signal from the fronts and centre.

To use the 4-channel input as that, the unit needs to be set to 'surround off', otherwise processing is applied to the front left and right channels only. So for B-mode audio this is what you'd do to apply pro-logic processing, but for A-mode 3+1 surround needs to be turned off to pass the 4 channels through; otherwise you get pro-logic processing of just the front left and right of A-mode and the centre and surround channels are missing.

I had a listen to the sub-woofer out (A-mode in, surround off) plugged through the centre input of the amp and some form of low-pass/high-cut filter seems to be in place - it's definitely not full range. But the crossover setting has no effect as I assumed above, there is no momentary mute when the setting is changed as is the case when pro-logic processing is happening. Changing the speaker size settings does bring a momentary mute in output, though it does not appear to be fully functional - for example turning the centre setting to off does mute the centre speaker, but it is not redistributed to the front left and right.

Still I'm happy with it overall as it does provide a neat way of deriving a sub-woofer output, and adjusting levels for A-mode audio.

However in my case not completely useless. My receiver only passes through the 6.1 input, no bass management there either, so at least it lets me have all speakers including the sub-woofer operational and actually listening to discs it gives a good enough result. I'm still curious to give the DTS-610 a go at some point but would need to figure out the best way of getting the .1 from it.

I don't know of many AV amps which will do any processing on their 5.1/7.1 analog inputs. Most of them will just pass them directly to the outputs. It sucks that the DANCE audio on MUSE is a so irregular format.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 00:00 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

DTS-610 has 3x 3.5mm stereo jack inputs: L/R, C/SW, LS/RS. It has a coax and an optical input. It has a coax and an optical output. Pass-through button on the front grabs digital audio from either coax or optical and passes it to both coax and optical outputs. You can use 3.5mm to RCA adapter/cords.

Connect L/R analog to L/R on the DTS-610.
Connect C analog to C/SW on the DTS-610. Leave the SW connection unhooked.
Connect LS/RS analog to LS/RS on the DTS-610. If you only have 1 Surround output on the Muse decoder, use a Y adapter.

In this configuration, DTS-610 sends a 1.5mbps DTS 5.1 signal through its coax and optical outputs. The dedicated SW channel .1 will be present but blank in this case. Surround channels will be mono surrounds. Your AV amp should be able to do delay/distance, bass management, level on this bitstream DTS signal. If you set your speakers to small on your AV amp, it will route bass to your subwoofer even if there isn't any signal on the lfe .1.

What we need is a DTS encoder which could do DTS 4.0. I am still looking so far nothing. I found some SRS encoders which can fold down 4ch Muse audio into 2ch SRS circle surround.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 00:56 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I actually just ordered a DTS CAE-4 hardware encoder. It has an option to disable lfe which should output DTS 5.0 at 1.5mbps. I will report once I have it.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 01:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
Your AV amp should be able to do delay/distance, bass management, level on this bitstream DTS signal. If you set your speakers to small on your AV amp, it will route bass to your subwoofer even if there isn't any signal on the lfe .1.

Yes of course. I wasn't thinking too well when I posted that this-morning; was only thinking in terms of the 6.1 input. Clearly my morning caffeine hit hadn't taken effect yet!

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 01:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
Your AV amp should be able to do delay/distance, bass management, level on this bitstream DTS signal. If you set your speakers to small on your AV amp, it will route bass to your subwoofer even if there isn't any signal on the lfe .1.

I just wonder with a blank .1 in the digital stream and only the diverted main speaker bass sent to the sub by the amplifier whether this would drive the sub to the same level as when the .1 is also present, or whether I might have to be constantly adjusting the sub level between this and other DTS input.

I think my amp lets you have different levels for different inputs so that may allow a work-around if that were the case. I'll have to check that.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 02:25 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

No problem mate! Coffee is good:)

Lfe isn't present in the recording. In anyhow the bass in the front channels are all we have. Pioneer D99 is a poor design by today's standards for any source. If you follow the block diagram, signal is converted to analog after dsp. Xovers happen in analog domain, bass management too. I doubt it has active xovers but simple RC./RL circuits. Nowadays since you begin with a digital signal, all would happen in an fpga in digital domain. With the dts-610, we are taking advantage of the modern AV amp's digital processing. Digital xovers are prone to phase issues. With this said, you would hear the amount of bass present in the recording. On a proper 5.1 recording, lfe is recorded 10db louder to give a few db more dynamic range, we don't have this in muse. If you are a purest, keep the levels untouched.

I am curious about the Denon AVP-A1. The US version AVP-8000 drops the Hi-Vision input for built in radio tuner. I am curious if it treats Hi-Vision inputs digitally.

I am very optimistic about the DTS CAE-4. It has 3 digital aes/ebu inputs for L/R, C/SW, LS/RS. On the front panel, you can defeat lfe input for 5.0 output. I am just not sure how it will treat 13bit 32khz pcm stream.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 02:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
If you are a purest, keep the levels untouched.

Well yes....... but sometimes I just like my movies with big bangs!!

substance wrote:
I am very optimistic about the DTS CAE-4. It has 3 digital aes/ebu inputs for L/R, C/SW, LS/RS. On the front panel, you can defeat lfe input for 5.0 output. I am just not sure how it will treat 13bit 32khz pcm stream.

So can/do you intend using this with the dual digital output on the MSC-4000?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 03:53 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
substance wrote:
If you are a purest, keep the levels untouched.

Well yes....... but sometimes I just like my movies with big bangs!!

substance wrote:

So can/do you intend using this with the dual digital output on the MSC-4000?

I didn't read the manual well before I bought the cae-4. It accepts digital aes/ebu as inputs which isn't a big deal, I can convert the dual spdif coax on the msc-4000 to aes/ebu easily. It's easier to go from spdif to aes/ebu than vice versa, its just impedance matching. The issue is cae-4 only like 48khz sampling, it has no built in sampling converter. I wil have to build an upsampler at the msc-4000 outputs.

This will take some time but once done, this is our solution to Muse/dance audio type A soundtracks. I am assuming there is some room in the cae-4 box where I can fit a couple of microprocessors and transformers to change convert to aes. I imagine it will be something like 2 coax inputs on the cae-4 and 1 coax output. The output will be DTS 5.0 at 1.5mbps. I need to see how bad the delay is on the cae-4 beforehand, if its more than a couple frames, we will also deal with lipsync.

I think dts-610 is newer than cae-4. It has very little delay. But it only has analog inputs, I want to keep the signal in digital domain. I need to figure out which would be easier to build, upsampler for cae-4 or adding digital ins to dts-610. Then there is a possibility of using one of the adv evaluation boards and creating a hdmi box with 4ch lpcm output. Let me dig in and think a little.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 23:44 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

It looks like the best solution is to build one yourself. Analog Devices ADSP-21xxx series Sharc embedded processors are the best for this. ADSP-213xx and later has spdif input/output support, built in sample rate converter (SCR) and more than enough juice to encode DTS 3/1/0 at 1511 kbps. Ideal would be spit out DTS 4.0 when A-mode 3+1 is detected and pass through PCM 2.0 when B-mode 2.0 is detected. SCR would up sample (1:1.5) the 32kHz to 48kHz. Again ideally, this should fit inside the MSC-4000, and just one extra coaxial output added in the back.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 06:46 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I bought service manual for the Denon AVP-A1. The Hi-Vision inputs bypass all DSPs and are tied directly at the outputs (same as Pioneer SP-D99/07) which means no delay/distance and crossovers. I didn't bother with Denon AVP-5000(older model). I am sure it operates the same way.

AVPA1 has multiple digital inputs and 1 optical digital output however the RF AC-3 input (and optical input 3) doesn't seem to be connected to the optical output. So RF output is only via analog outputs.

All analog inputs (except hivision inputs) are digitized by 20 bit pcm1760 adc. Two motorola sharc DSPs process the signal(dolby,thx,delay, crossover etc.). It has 4x 20 bit pcm1702p dacs (same one in hld-x9) for one each left, right, center, subwoofer. It has 1x 18 bit pcm69 dac for surround left and right. Each analog audio input has a true analog pathway bypassing adc/dac.

It looks like there is a revision done on later models. There is an added subwoofer input for the hi-vision input, literally turning it into 6ch ext input.

Magnificent built but useless for hivision unfortunately.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 06:53 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Looking into adsp chips, adsp21262 seems like the best choice. It has the code for dolby and dts in its rom. Perhaps why creative used this adsp in their dts-610. Unfortunately the software license is about a $1000. You need additional license for dts, perhaps several thousands.

It looks like the only feasible thing is using the dts-610, by passing its analog inputs (adc) and tapping in digital from the muse decoder. Lets hope the built in code dynamicly adopts and automatically selects DTS 4.0 (3/1/0).

I am also awaiting delivery of the DTS Cae-4 broadcast encoder. I can't use it as it but I hope there is potential for modifications.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 21:27 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Ok I have the DTS CAE-4 encoder now. Converting the XLR aes/ebu to spdif is much easier on this. It has the cs8412 spdif recievers already. It has 7 adsp21062 in there. 1 for each of the 5.1 channels and 1 other. Each adsp is accompanied with an additional 4mb memory. 7th adsp has 2mb memory. The output transmitter is cs8402, again it can be converted to spdif very easily. There is a lot of jumpers and dip switches, I wish I had the service manual. Ohh it has a daughter board which down converts 5.1 to stereo and outputs as headphone. Very neat machine.

Each adsp21062 is 120mflops, the single adsp21262 in the dts-610 is 1.2gflops. This explains the compact size. Working on the CAE-4 is much easier, it has all discrete components. Soldering will be piece of cake, there is enough room to fit a few extra as well. No sampling rate conveter so it won't take the 32kHz muse audio, I will built a simple sampling rate converter to bump it up to 48kHz.

I pulled apart the msc-4000. It isn't that impressive. A lot of sony modulators and two chips labelled "muse" by Texas Instruments. The audio section is less impressive. The digital to analog conversion is done by akm dacs (ak4319vm), they are single bit delta sigma dacs. No wonder the analog audio from msc-4000 sounded so dull and boring, I always blamed muse encoding for it now I know better. The power section is confusingly labelled both 126vac and 100vac. Power section is a different project for later. There is no room to fit anything here, it already runs warm. There is just enough room near the back right corner, I plan to fit a sampling rate converted there also drill holes for three xlr abu/eas output to dts cae-4. Bs input has a different path than muse inputs btw but I didn't follow it. It may or may not go through different processing.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2015, 06:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thanks for the posts, this is very interesting.

I did a bit of a search and there seems to be quite a few stand-alone sampling rate & XLR aes/ebu to spdif converters available, slimline rack mounted components much like the CAE-4. It seems they're all stereo so you'd need two (one for the front l/r out and one for the centre/surround out) I thought this might be an alternate path for those less inclined to start modifying their equipment. Though there's another issue I'm not sure about with this approach, or whether it affects yours too. That is that on the MSC-4000 one digital out is the centre & mono surround combined on the same digital stream. The DTS encoders though are set up to accept a stereo surround on one and the centre/sub on another. How to go about splitting that one output into the two separate ones expected by the encoder?

Page 3 of 4 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next