It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:06

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: XRGB Mini Framemeister
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2015, 03:13 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

What is the consensus on said product for this particular purpose apposed to the products main focus of retro game consoles? My space is getting really cluttered with all these different TVs for different things, just want to know if this guy will do the job on an HDMI tv.

Post subject: Re: XRGB Mini Framemeister
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2015, 10:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I bought this unit just before christmas while visiting Akihabara, Tokyo. This is probably the best unit when it comes to 240p sources, which is almost every console before the Dreamcast. Most scalers recognize the 240p signal wrong, which I tested after I got the unit. The most common case is that modern TVs mistake the signal for 480i, which creates undesired side-effects.

A big drawback (at least for me) is that the comb filter in the unit is bad, so I'd recommend using RGB to avoid rainbow colors. Keep in mind that the RGB connection on this unit is NOT wired after standard SCART that you would find on almost every TV. Connecting a regular SCART cable could cause damage. You either need an adapter or a SCART cable wired after what is called RGB21 or JP21. The connectors are identical, but wired differently. The Japanese for some reason use a different pinout.

When the XRGB-mini is tweaked, you should get very low input lag as well. A very good unit for vintage computers and video game systems. You can't remove the input lag completely, unless you use an CRT.

One of the other drawbacks is that is uses a long time syncing if the resolution changes. Some consoles switch between 240 and 480 resolutions.

If you have the cash, I'd highly recommend this unit. The best for 240p sources, as mentioned. From what I've read, the PMS Crystalio II is the best choice if you use consoles that output 480 or above. Though, that scaler is even more expensive.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2015, 11:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I've had my XRGB-Mini for quite some time and I must say it's a much saner choice than picking up a CRT for retro gaming, and that comes from someone with two neat BVMs in my house.

Input lag is a very overrated topic imo and unless you've got a really crappy TV then don't worry. On Shmups forum you will find tons of crazy people who're paranoid about the smallest possible amount of lag and are about as far away from rational as possible. Using the XRGB-Mini won't give you more lag than playing PS1 games on your PS3.

Either way, a picture I recently took when using the Mini on my current TV. I'm using a first gen SFC as source with RGBs (duh), upscaled to 720p with scanlines and then scaled to 1080p in my TV.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2015, 12:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yes, input lag is a bit overrated. Though, my impression is that most people have crappy TVs. Have heard many times people tell they bought a good TV. Good in this case means dirt cheap. Almost everyone complain about lag. I do tell them to activate game mode, which seems to satisfy most people. If they hook up vintage video game systems, they often say "wow, can't remember the picture quality was this bad". Most people actually don't understand that the PQ is in fact worse. They just accept that they remembered wrong.

Personally I don't like using fake scanlines. If I am to have that, then it has to be a proper CRT. Currently I do have a Trinitron that I use, but soon getting a BVM.

If you can get the XRGB-mini directly from Japan, that would be cheaper. I bought mine for around 200 USD in Akihabara. They go for around 300 bucks on eBay.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2015, 12:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I personally use PC mode, as it sometimes is the only way to activate RGB 0-255 on the input and turns of all kinds of unnecessary functions. Even the early OLEDs by LG had forced DNR but could be disabled by changing the input label to PC.

Got my XRGB-Mini from SolarisJapan. He can declare a much lower value in order to avoid customs, which is great.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2016, 18:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm currently using my XRGB-Mini on an LG 55EG910V (full HD OLED set) and picture is essentially flawless. Brings my thoughts to the absolutely best professional CRTs but with no after burning phosphor. Also add perfect geometry, convergence, better anti-reflex filter and excellent contrast ratio. Colors are also very vibrant and accurate yet never seem too saturated. Following pics are with a 1chip Super Famicom, running through the XRGB-Mini to the 910V in PC Mode. I honestly consider selling my BVM-20F1, this is a much better solution imo.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2016, 00:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Looks really good! My Super Famicom isn't the 1chip type, so it has a little bit of noise in the picture. I personally would love to have a PVM for old computers and games, but the only ones I've found doesn't have RGB input...

You're not concerned about burn-in when using that LG TV for games?

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2016, 04:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Not at all. So far I've used it plenty for a week and no signs of image retention whatsoever. It also slightly lowers contrast in areas that doesn't change (like TV logos and life bars) making burn-ins pretty much impossible. Professional CRT monitors are much closer to the XRGB-Mini in terms of sharpness and color accuracy than consumer CRTs so if you've used an XRGB-Mini on an OLED screen a BVM will most likely not be much of interest other than collectibles or just for the heck of it.

The 1chip is much sharper than any earlier revision and has no smear in blacks. Highly recommended if you're a fan of the console.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2016, 12:39 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Maybe LG have done some design-changes then. Remember reading about some guys that got TV logos burned in and had a long fight with LG to get the TV replaced. :P

At the moment I don't have an OLED TV, only plasma. Probably will wait a couple of more years before I do buy one. I do however enjoy old tech, so for me a PVM is interesting either way. Just a shame they're extremely hard to find. The monitor I have came from a guy that did video production, but it doesn't have RGB. Only composite and s-video. It is also only 9"... I'd love to use my plasma for games, but I'm afraid more burn-in could happen. My old father loved to borrow my TV to read online news papers since it has a really big screen. Now I permanently have a firefox web browser around the edge of the screen. I have hooked up the XRGB-mini to my TV and it looks amazing, but only to test for a few minutes. At the moment I use an old Trinitron widescreen CRT for old games, but it has an awful comb filter. Lots of dot crawl.

My SFC does have black smear on RGB. Have tried to aquire a 1chip type, but people are usually put off from the deal when I ask them to disassemble the console to check the mainboard. As far as I know, that is the only way to be 100% sure.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 02:04 
I love the XRGB Mini, but it's no substitute for a PVM IMO. The Mini has pretty low lag, and I never really noticed it when playing it, but when I got my PVM I noticed I was magically way better at certain games, especially the SMB series and Punch Out. After getting readjusted to the PVM I disconnected the Mini and am considering selling it.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 07:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's not really a fair comparison unless you actually add a modern professional display. PVMs or BVMs were never made for consumers and should never be compared to such. It's kind of ironic when people are claiming that those old CRTs are superior to what we have today yet they take no regard to what they were originally made for or their prices. If you come home to me and compare my OLED to my BVMs or HDM you'll most likely prefer the OLED...

Now I'm not saying that professional CRTs aren't out of interest, but the romantic shimmer is getting old.

What PVM do you have?

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2016, 16:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

direct from original console to 42" LCD. BEST BUY "INSIGNIA" 2011 model;

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2017, 14:06 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I can really say that the Framemeister is worth every cent, and the audio and video quality at my Game setting is simply Incredible.
I use the Framemeister only with my NEO GEO AES, it is really a feast for all your senses!

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]