It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 12:17

Page 8 of 13 [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: AVOID Duncan Hunter/Bayview Electronics/laserdiscservice
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 00:52 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

oh no sweat
i didn't mean to imply otherwise

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 18:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Reading that email chain... it's a real shame he didn't retire gracefully. He'd have lots of good stories+things to share with us here, on top of not hoarding people's property.

If I was local to him, even after all this, I would offer to work for him under the table pretty cheaply on weekends and help get his backlog cleared out - I'm sure I'd learn a lot!

. o O (On the other hand, we live in a world where for instance a <=$40 Raspberry Pi board can play videos with quality far beyond what even an X0 with a MUSE decoder can do. And you can easily make new video files for it. Dunno what it says about me playing with LD's so much ;) )

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2016, 19:46 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I didn't even realize at first just how *exactly* my own experience matches the initial post in this thread. I honestly hadn't read the entire first post before adding my own post. Now I just read the first post completely and it's like a transcript of my experience, right down to the description of responding to non-work messages. I will corroborate every claim made in the first post.

At least I got useful help fixing a different player myself along the way. It was busted when I got it, and he provided the prior knowledge to just pry harder on this one part even though it seems like it would break, and it worked, I'm using that player ever since, so that's something anyway.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2016, 03:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Anybody got any updates.......good or bad?

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 04:15 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hello everyone I am new here and this is my first post. This post is not in support or non-support of Duncan. I can only tell you my own experience dealing with him. I am a vintage video game collector(I go by Uppy on atariage) and I had bought two laseractives from collectorscardsandgames.com. They worked but needed a little help so I contacted Duncan off of his site. He told me he could fix them but it would be about 2 months as he had a backlog. Then I stumbled across this forum and obviously became nervous about the whole deal as I had already sent them. Ive been screwed before on game deals and I am still upset about those bad deals. Two months went by and I contacted Duncan and told him I will arrange for pickup as I don't want to of my players out longer than 2 months. He did not respond to all of my emails but finally emailed me and told me to give him a couple of days and he would have my players fixed. Then a few days later he told me my laseractives are fixed. The price was $60 a piece. I arranged for UPS pickup. It cost my $13 to have them picked up plus shipping charges of course. Today on my doorstep I had two fully working laseractive machines. So I really only had a good experience. Has anyone here tried to arrange pickup to get your machines back? Not perfect but it worked for me and it is easy to open an UPS account.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 16:12 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Arranging pickup is only part of the problem. Duncan has had my player for more than seven months now. AFAIK, at this point, he doesn't even yet have a diagnosis of the problem.

I've only received status updates in response to direct queries, and I've yet to receive any information that suggests that he's actually working on my player. Surely, in seven months, I should have received something from him that said, "I've looked at your player and here's what's wrong."

Nope. Not even that.

We're talking about failure on multiple levels and not just the inability to ship.

Charlie

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 20:11 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

A few weeks ago I tried to arrange pickup and he actually answered, but only to ask what I wanted to do, to which I said you just tell me when it's boxed and ready and you'll be home, and I'll schedule the pickup. He never answered after that.

Meanwhile remember, I have already paid him for both labor and return shipping. He didn't offer to just send it back himself with the shipping money I already gave him.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 20:52 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I haven't had the opportunity to pay him for labor and return shipping, because in seven months' time, he's yet to reply with a diagnosis as to what's wrong.

We're light years away from the point where I need to figure out how to help him ship the repaired unit back.

Charlie

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2016, 02:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Same situation here.
He has my P-D70 CD player but i haven't heard from him since the last email where he said he would send it back.
I did find him on facebook as Sandy Hunter but nobody here seems to care anymore, i still want my player back but don't think i will ever get it.

Just read some of his FB posts, hes too busy with his vintage car.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2016, 07:31 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I care.

He has my LD-W1 which is cosmetically mint. Same story as almost all I have read here. He has had mine for over a year. Hasn't responded to my emails in months.

Anybody know where he is?

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 01:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I still care about my cld-92 as well. But me being in Canada, makes it more difficult.

Well what about our vintage car ld players.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 01:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

#MyLDplayermatters

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 16:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

guess it's finally time for the more technically-inclined of us to learn how to perform adjustments/refits on our cherished players ourselves...

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 09:05 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just FYI, Ducan H. hasn't visited LDDb for over a year, his account just got "frozen":

http://www.lddb.com/account/ldservice

If you know his address, can't the US-based people with a LD Player missing in action fill up a claim at the local police station?
If several people fill up the same claim, local police might have to come and investigate.

Julien

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 09:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

admin wrote:
Just FYI, Ducan H. hasn't visited LDDb for over a year, his account just got "frozen":

http://www.lddb.com/account/ldservice

If you know his address, can't the US-based people with a LD Player missing in action fill up a claim at the local police station?
If several people fill up the same claim, local police might have to come and investigate.

Julien

I don't have an LD out for service with Duncan. However, maybe someone with really good documentation could have a lawyer draft a letter to Duncan warning him that his activities must cease or there will be theft charges brought to bear. Maybe a class action lawsuit would "wake" him up and make him realize that what he is doing is illegal.

Just my 2 cents worth.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 14:39 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

It costs a lot of money.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 19:42 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Updated email thread with the last few weeks additions.
Old one ends on Jun 14 2016, so if you already read that, you can skip down to the end.

Nothing much new, just that he HAS answered an email at all in the last few months, which means the address is still valid as of June 2016.
That last known shipping address in the 1st post in this topic is probably still valid too, as that's the address my unit was shipped to.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bys6e ... zAzNnZ0cVE

I guess it's not productive to lose your cool no matter what happens, but I just hunted back through my paypal transactions from 12 months ago and figured out that I paid $246 for the player (200 plus 46 shipping) drop shipped right from the ebay seller to Duncan. And then as you see in the mail log here, I paid Duncan another $193 for labor and shipping back to me. I guess it's just lucky I can actually afford to lose $450 into thin air and it's not my rent or a kids braces or something.

I just printed this today, so remember to add that 6 1/2 weeks of no-answer after that last email from me on Jul 21...

It honestly had never occurred to me to me to file some sort of complaint with police in his area. Didn't occur to me that there even was any such process you could invoke. Now that someone mentions it, it sounds pretty appropriate. After all, at least when I first contacted him, he did still have a web site which advertised the service, and he did respond in emails confirming that service. And even aside from that, much more recently he requested and received payment for that service. That is all pretty cut and dried. I don't know exactly which laws that violates, like computer or mail fraud, or something else specially related to operating a business, but it has to be *something*, and it's probably actionable, even just for one individual case, let alone when several people can all claim the same thing.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 21:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
It costs a lot of money.

I know that a lawsuit would not be cheap; but, you might be able to find a lawyer that would do the job "pro bono". Even a lawyer not in Duncan's area could send the "letter".

Are there any LD hobbyists that live in Duncan's area and are a lawyer who might be able to take on the case? (I know that would be a long shot.)
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 00:33 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

sent an email and got a reply so waiting on the response I just sent. He has computer crashes. I did get a reply as of today September 6.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2016, 21:15 
Greetings everyone regarding Duncan Hunter.
I am John Tomaskovic from Ossining, New York.
I sent Duncan my Theta Voyager back in January of 2014 to the address on the website after being in email contact with Duncan. It was returned repaired in one month. Worked fine until later that year I had another problem which I was in contact with him and it was sent to the Yelm address. It has been there ever since with very little contact other than health and divorce issues excusing his tardiness, along with the email loss as he claimed.
It is now two years. I did NOT send him any money for the second repair.
I happened to see the thread about this and thought it would add to the fuel!
Please let me know if I can be of any assistance with a "class action" action!
Not sure if the police could get involved without someone going there but I looked up the Yelm website and it is pretty lame. Appears to be Volunteer police officers, etc.

Page 8 of 13 [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next