It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:02

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 03 May 2017, 19:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

This is why I stopped the insanity and just hook the player directly to my TV or Projector.
And audio is directly red and white into a 2 channel amp with amazing speakers.

Had Grasshopper over last year and he couldn't believe how it sounded like surround with Predator but was only a 2 channel setup.
I wish I had taken a picture of his face, it was amazing :thumbup:

allgaeuer wrote:
It is nice if everybody finds what he needs for his configuration.

However I want to remind you that for a well-connected laserdisc player you need always FOUR connections:
1. the analog video connection (composite resp. yellow RCA, or S-video)
2. the analog stereo connection (red and white RCA)
3. the digital connection (optical, or coaxial)
4. AC-3 RF (usually a black RCA)
Some people tend to think that the digital connections can replace the analog one, but this is not true.

If you connect only digital and omit the analog stereo connection,
A. you will not get any sound from an analog-only disc (old PAL or NTSC),
B. you will not get the second language from a bilingual disc,
C. you will never hear the assistant vocal singer on a Karaoke disc (singing in analog/R only)
D. you will never hear the commentary of the director on some DD5.1 discs (speaking in analog/L only)

Keep this in mind, especially when you consider to hook up two Laserdisc players at the same time ... ;)

PostPosted: 04 May 2017, 01:04 
True fan
True fan

I use my 800 for ac3 direct over the optical but sadly the display is burned out.

PostPosted: 04 May 2017, 01:59 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

on these units, all sound processing happens in digital domain which explains why the analog inputs are digitized. All digital inputs are fed into a DSP and all analog inputs (except 5.1 analog input) are digitized and fed into this DSP. The DSP does xover, delay (distance), surround sound processing (dolby surround, ac-3 etc) in digital then once the signal is converted to 5.1 surround sound, it is converted back to analog before RCA outputs. There are a couple of exceptions to this. If you select the stereo mode, the dsp is bypassed and your analog signal is directly routed to main outputs. Also the 5.1 analog inputs are directly tied to the analog outputs (never ever go tru DSP) therefore the distance and xover settings do not work on these.

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 14:35 
True fan
True fan

Well I received my E800 yesterday, It works and does pretty much everything I hoped it would, there does seem to be an issue with the Monitor out, I had to wiggle the jack a bit before I got a picture out of it. The unit also seems to run quite hot, even after only a few minutes of use, not sure if thats normal or not.

Quote:
This is why I stopped the insanity and just hook the player directly to my TV or Projector.
And audio is directly red and white into a 2 channel amp with amazing speakers.

Had Grasshopper over last year and he couldn't believe how it sounded like surround with Predator but was only a 2 channel setup.
I wish I had taken a picture of his face, it was amazing :thumbup:

I agree in a lot of ways its hard to beat the simplicity of a 2 channel setup, over the years I've always used a basic stereo setup for everything, actually only since I've gotten into LD I've started messing around with surround stuff, I got a few nice deals and put together a very basic mini HT, kind of an over the top experiment at this point but I get some enjoyment out of it.

I have to say I was watching my Thunderball LD the other day after changing some settings and noticed the sound was really nice and Dynamic, for a minute I thought it was ac-3 but I turned out it was the Analog 2 channel!

I have some nice vintage hifi speakers I need to pull out and hook up for stereo.

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 15:10 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Do it you won't regret it.
My speakers are 4 way Sansui vintage monsters and they sound amazing.

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 20:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

sjoerg wrote:
Well I received my E800 yesterday, It works and does pretty much everything I hoped it would, there does seem to be an issue with the Monitor out, I had to wiggle the jack a bit before I got a picture out of it. The unit also seems to run quite hot, even after only a few minutes of use, not sure if thats normal or not.

The E800 does run hot. I noticed it when I first used mine. There is no provision for an internal fan and if you could mount one, you would have to cut vents in the metal cover. I have my E800 on a shelf above my CLD-D406 in a cabinet with a door. I have to keep the door open when I play the CLD-D406 so as to keep air circulating for both the D406 and the E800.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 00:48 
True fan
True fan

I can live with it running hot, if its normal operation thats ok with me, no sense in cannibalizing a piece of gear if its not needed (lesson learned on that one)
kind of surprises me there aren't any vents though. I don't plan to mess with it other then maybe to look at that monitor jack.

Otherwise seems to be working very nicely so far, it made my little setup quite a digital audio hub!

Quote:
There are a couple of exceptions to this. If you select the stereo mode, the dsp is bypassed and your analog signal is directly routed to main outputs. Also the 5.1 analog inputs are directly tied to the analog outputs (never ever go tru DSP) therefore the distance and xover settings do not work on these.

This is interesting, though I'm not sure I understand. does this mean a source though the analog input will be output unaltered through the front analog outputs? as well the 5.1 inputs are essentially a bypass?
(I believe it says analog bypass on the EP9)

Quote:

I did it and it sounds awesome, they're just little Symdex speakers (Sigmas I believe) I got a while back and they sound great even with my little pioneer.

PostPosted: 11 May 2017, 06:28 
True fan
True fan

My 800 runs very hot and I simply use it for ac3 pass through.

PostPosted: 11 May 2017, 14:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Anyone ever hook it up to a "modern" receiver using the analog 5.1 outputs? Volume control would be tricky I guess...? you could take advantage of the DSP modes this way. there would be a smaller problem with getting 5.1 ex using the 5.1outputs since the "modern" receiver doesn't apply any processing to the 5.1 input analog input.
just :think:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 16 May 2017, 12:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

sdraper wrote:
I use my 800 for ac3 direct over the optical but sadly the display is burned out.

Did you know that the display can be turned off or changed in intensity? I am saying that your display maybe turned off and just needs to be turned on and maybe still good. I would recommend that you get a copy of the E800's operating manual here:

http://manuals.lddb.com/AC3RF_Demodulators/.

You will need to dig into the manual; but, the procedure is there.
CED

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 14:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

sjoerg wrote:
I can live with it running hot, if its normal operation thats ok with me, no sense in cannibalizing a piece of gear if its not needed (lesson learned on that one)
kind of surprises me there aren't any vents though. I don't plan to mess with it other then maybe to look at that monitor jack.

Otherwise seems to be working very nicely so far, it made my little setup quite a digital audio hub!

Quote:
There are a couple of exceptions to this. If you select the stereo mode, the dsp is bypassed and your analog signal is directly routed to main outputs. Also the 5.1 analog inputs are directly tied to the analog outputs (never ever go tru DSP) therefore the distance and xover settings do not work on these.

This is interesting, though I'm not sure I understand. does this mean a source though the analog input will be output unaltered through the front analog outputs? as well the 5.1 inputs are essentially a bypass?
(I believe it says analog bypass on the EP9)

Quote:

I did it and it sounds awesome, they're just little Symdex speakers (Sigmas I believe) I got a while back and they sound great even with my little pioneer.

I checked the schematic of the SDP-E800 some time ago. I was interested in exactly what you are: Does the analog input get directed to the L/R speakers on the 5.1 outputs? The answer is Yes. I traced the analog signal path on the schematic and found that it is switched to the analog output directly with no processing.. The signal is not sent to an A/D converter which I was interested in.

Also, there is no bypass on the E800. You cannot send 5.1 signals into the E800 as there are no 5.1 RCA inputs for them.
CED

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2