It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:25

Page 5 of 6 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2017, 23:37 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) [1425-85]

Activated a special on the DOLBY CP500 SW that has greatly extended the low end down below 20Hz.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2017, 02:01 
True fan
True fan

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/04164/ML102714/Golden-Age-of-Looney-Tunes-The:-vol.2-1931-1948
I watched a couple of cartoons on my Panasonic G10 plasma, which does a magnificent job on LDs by the way, but i soon got the itch for bigger. My projector via a Faroudja NRS shines on my 92" wide screen. The picture below shows a pulldown 16:9 screen masked to 4:3 by curtains. First one with lights, second lights out. With this combo I can match many ratios. Behind this screen is a 2.4:1 screen for mostly HD-DVD and BD. All DIY and functions quite well.
:thumbup: :wave:

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 12:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

alien wrote:
kingpin wrote:
Great Escape, The (1963) (Japanese Laserdisc)

To be quite honest I've seen the movie for the first time and I like it very much!
It was nice to see that Hendley (James Garner) took care of Blythe (Donald Pleasence) after being almost blinded by the Moonshine.
A very emotional scene was when the semi-blind Blythe was shot from behind.

forper wrote:
Superb Kingpin, screenshots from your equipment I presume? That's the magic of Laserdisc/CRT.!

kingpin wrote:
@forper

I got the picture from the Internet.
When I watched a movie, I always took a screenshot of my TV.
But i don't do that anymore.
Maybe I'll do it again in the future.

LOL forper.

You do realise that what you are seeing and what you complemented is most likely a HD image from the Blu-Ray.

Curse you, ALIEN!! :x

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2017, 09:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserbite34 wrote:
forper wrote:
Great stuff! I have Wrath of Khan, feel like pulling it out. Too bad my HR36 is down. Waiting for replacement ICs...

Get those ICs repaired Mr. Scott. :mrgreen:

ICs arrived, replaced the old ones and HR36 now fully operational.! It was a bit touch and go removing and replacing a giant board from the TV, was sure I broke something in the process, or my solders were bad or the chips were junk, BUT it was all good. So happy, been without her for over a month now. Currently having a TV party for one. Don't want to turn it off again just incase it doesn't turn back on! Globe: Naked Screen, my preferred reference LD looks better than ever!

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2017, 10:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

enjoyed my first LD feature film in a while, Robocop criterion, with the help of my DVDO VP50 got it really nice with OAR (1.66:1) and no missing picture thanks to overscan. This thing makes my Sony LD image look much less washed out than direct to the TV. Then the TV just makes everything look so natural, colours etc and of course no fast movement issues. Damn I love LD on CRT, there's really nothing better. Really really nice. So so happy to have my HR36 back and not having to face buying a terrible modern TV.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 04:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Pulled out my April 1981 DiscoVision PR-7820-2 player today, repaired the disc clamp and watched side 1 of the WEA pressing of "Lethal Weapon 3". What a blast.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2017, 13:37 
I was going to buy The Gladiator 1986 with Ken Wahl on LD as I had fond memories of it long time ago.
Then found the very same movie for a free view on YouTube.
I decided not to buy it coz it didn't do it for me anymore!
It's an OK TV movie for 95 min waste of time.

killer Dodge Charger used by death driver was cool.

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/01171/ID6 ... diator-The

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2017, 17:27 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Arrived today Fletch (1985) [LVG 1191]

PAL/SECAM 625
Disc picture pressing not bad for 31 years colour looks natural some fine picture noise. no edge enhancement is present looks clear and no DNR. No signs of laser-rot. A little faint crosstalk.

Dolby Stereo matrix sounds great with clear intelligible dialouge against music or sound effects. Analog audio for this old pressing has some faint occasional crackle. I was fearing the Lt-Rt might have been out of phase but luckily Lt-Rt is all in-phase.

Like to get Fletch Lives on NTSC with benDover :lol:
Fletch Lives (1989) [40881]

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2017, 13:25 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Arrived today and still watching F/X (1986) [LDD 1003]

Picture is a bit shabby for this PAL transfer. Colours are very low and needed some boasting as with brightness as well as its very dark. Contrast whites on the transfer with daylight scenes didn't look over-boasted with the transfer.

Framed full-screen of the 1.85:1 W/S and only time its in W/S is during the end credits.

Full-screen

Chapter 19 full-screen switches to W/S 1.85:1

Dolby Stereo matrix was okay with clear dialouge and loud music sound effects.

No signs of laser-rot.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2017, 14:55 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Watched Akira for the first time on LD recently. The version I have is the unsubtitled Japanese widescreen version, which is fine because i know the plot (does it have one? :lol: ).

I've watched the movie loads of times on VHS and on DVD a few times, and I think this one easily stacks up to the DVD version and much better than the VHS version. There's a lot to say about animated movies on LD played on a CRT, very nice. Cool gatefold cover as well.

Attachments:
File comment: Not my photo! Took a photo on my iPhone but it's too large!
IMG_0184.JPG
IMG_0184.JPG [ 33.36 KiB | Viewed 5118 times ]

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2017, 17:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes, most anime from LD is much better on a CRT when comparing them side by side to DVD.
If you get a chance watch Captain Harlock: Arcadia of my Youth (1982) [LSTD01195]

The picture quality is AMAZING on the LD.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2017, 19:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I think that the Akira Criterion LD looks quite good too BUT WHY ONE EARTH didn't they at least include CC ? I hate the English dubbed version. Of course a cult film without any doubt !

@ Fletch - I have never seen this movie but I have the lead theme by Harold Faltermeyer as a Maxi 12 inch 45 RPM vinyl disc which sounds absolutely fantastic. It is amazing !
This soundtrack was never released on CD btw.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2017, 15:13 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

rein-o wrote:
Yes, most anime from LD is much better on a CRT when comparing them side by side to DVD.
If you get a chance watch Captain Harlock: Arcadia of my Youth (1982) [LSTD01195]

I'll have to check that one out. Is that dubbed in English or (preferably) subtitled?

Another one that I used to have on DVD is the series Blue Submarine No 6. But from what I've read it's pretty rare on LD and probably in Japanese only.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2017, 16:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

holoview wrote:
rein-o wrote:

I'll have to check that one out. Is that dubbed in English or (preferably) subtitled?

Another one that I used to have on DVD is the series Blue Submarine No 6. But from what I've read it's pretty rare on LD and probably in Japanese only.

That version is only in Japanese, there is an American release which is posted in the database and does have some type of English but I
can't say anything about the picture quality as I've never owned it.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 00:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

holoview wrote:
Watched Akira for the first time on LD recently. The version I have is the unsubtitled Japanese widescreen version, which is fine because i know the plot (does it have one? :lol: ).

I've watched the movie loads of times on VHS and on DVD a few times, and I think this one easily stacks up to the DVD version and much better than the VHS version. There's a lot to say about animated movies on LD played on a CRT, very nice. Cool gatefold cover as well.

Yes I have this edition and it's very nice. I think the movie is overrated but has some nicely done scenes and it's the ultlimate way to watch it at home, like all material made in the 20th century. We're living the same experience of the AV elites of the 90s! The ones I personally worshipped.

Finally got time to watch this:

It's the Megazone 23 Premium LD box released by a strange company called Taxco in 1993
http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/51884/SBL ... remium-Box

It contains 3 discs. Part I and II and the English version of Part II that Carl Macek dubbed.

First up the dialogue track is missing from all three discs on the digital audio tracks! Don't know if anyone else who owns this had the same problem? I only have one working LD player currently so can't test on other equipment but other LDs don't have the problem on the player.

Luckily the analogue track is very nice and contains the dialogue!!

I have serviceable Japanese after living in-country for more than five years. However some of the harder sci fi vocab is still over my head (have to start studying again, as I get older my inspiration is Marty Friedman)

Anyway I haven't seen this since the days of the Canberra Anime Society in the mid 90s where I saw the fansubs on VHS through somebody there.

The box was released by a company called Taxco and they have one of the worst logos and openings I've ever seen! I know the rights to the franchise have been sold off a number of times so I guess this is who had the rights at the time. However the quality of the packaging, inserts and mastering is all great (except for the missing dialogue?!!!)

It looks and sounds a lot better than I remember, it is a sci fi animation fans dream, both parts are gorgeous. It's easy to see why it was so influential.

Anyway really enjoyed seeing these again. Although I'm not such a fan of Umetsu's character designs for part II vs Mikimoto's originals the mecha looks great in both parts. Those Itano dogfights are gold. The girls are cute (Actually love Umetsus punk girl who rides on the back of Yui's motorcycle in Part II, probably influenced by Cindy Lauper?). The action is over the top and filled with detail. I love the REAL brandnames everywhere.

I don't agree with some here who thought the violence was over the top. What's the point of going direct to video if you can't show more gore than on TV? It's cool and makes the aliens really sinister.

Love EVE more than ever. I pulled out all my Miyasato Kumi CDs and have been listening non stop since I watched it.

Recommended.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 01:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have quite a bunch of anime LD's that only have "isolated score" tracks on digital,
and "normal" dialogue audio on analog tracks. I would not call it uncommon.
Might be TOEI that used it on a lot of discs.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 01:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

lons_vex wrote:
I have quite a bunch of anime LD's that only have "isolated score" tracks on digital,

Ok, thanks for your post. It7s the first time I've come across it. How are you supposed to get an LD player to output analogue and digital audio at the same time though??

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 15:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

just finished "U-JIN BRAND" and am currently about halfway through "KISHIN HEIDAN"

both are LD, both i've had for the better part of ten years now, and both are the first time for me'

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/06121/ID2 ... -Jin-Brand

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/22171/PIL ... ssion-Call

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/22168/PIL ... -2:-Ep.2-3

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/22169/PIL ... -3:-Ep.4-5

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/22170/PIL ... -4:-Ep.6-7

(( one item of note; PIONEER's video transfer of KISHIN HEIDAN is unusually high quality for an LD ))

U-JIN was much better than i expected, and KISHIN, despite it's silly characters, is at least trying to tell a story, something i suppose cant be said too terribly often in Anime...

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 16:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
lons_vex wrote:

Ok, thanks for your post. It7s the first time I've come across it. How are you supposed to get an LD player to output analogue and digital audio at the same time though??

I have witnessed the same phenomenon with the Zeira movie. The Japanese disc has an isolated score track on its digital audio track and
a normal audio track with all the dialogues and sounds on its analogue audio track.

I think you misunderstood lons vex' post. What he meant to say was that the analogue audio track contains everything not only the dialogue itself.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 02:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:
lons_vex wrote:

Yeah, you only play one at a time, if you have both playing at the same time it can sound really funky.
But its not both analog and digital but both L R Channels that have film on one track and score on the other.
They are in sync but one sounds better and then you only get dialog coming from one side of the room :crazy: NG No Good.

Page 5 of 6 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next