It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:28

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: SIMPLEST AC-3 Decoder please--what do u think
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 18:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Try Saving Private Ryan. If the LD is like the DVD, you will be in for quite a sound feast. The Omaha Beach part is quite "noisy" if you know what I mean.

(I do not have SPR on LD, only DVD so I cannot say what the surround sound is like on LD. I would hope it is the same.)

I am biased toward the Sony SDP-E800 as an AC-3 decoder.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 23:56 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

The simplest has to be the EAD smart cable. As I understand, demodulation is built right into the cable so, AC-3 direct to coax with no box. Of course they are as rare and reasonably expensive. I saw one on eBay 2-3 months ago, and should have pulled the trigger on it. Hopefully someone here picked it up. That being said, I agree the Sony E800 is a solid unit and easy to set up. It is fairly common, and is inexpensive.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 01:55 
True fan
True fan

The Sony E800 is highly recommend, not as compact as the apd-1, but its has a wealth of inputs and goes for a much lower price, the apd-1 seems to be worth a small fortune, I found an e800 for a great price, I believe it even has more inputs then the es9 (and not including video inputs).
If you come across one pick it up.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 18:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Simplest?

Pioneer RFD-1, Kenwood DEM-9991D, Meridian 519 .... something in a small package that takes the digital & AC-3 RF output of your LD player and automatically switches to provide a single digital output to feed to your AV amp. Easy as; 'no further setup required' and an RFD-1 at least can still be found at a reasonable price if you have a little patience.

Other units could be really useful to increase your overall input options (for example) but might not be the simplest in terms of connections or having to make multiple settings. Something that outputs digital demodulated from AC-3 RF is preferable over only analogue 5.1 outputs. Many full-size processors only give 5.1 analogue output, though from the posts above it seems the Sony is an exception (though the manual is really unclear on that - seeming to suggest it's 5.1 analogue out only??).

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 00:56 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

It has been a few years since I hooked mine up (kinda on semi-permanent loan to my Father), but my recollection is that the MD/DAT digital out is always active. By comparison I am currently using my STR-DA80ES as my processor. My setup is more complex, but basically functions the same. AC-3 in from LD, while selecting the Digital 1 for input, and use MD/DAT optical out to my processor.

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2