It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:17

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: CD-G Karaoke CDs and Burnt VCD videos
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 11:06 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Thee's also VCD hardware add-on for PS1, it was manufactured by Gamars and works only with older revisions that have parallel port on the back. I don't know if it plays burned discs as-is or does it require chipped console to read anything else than factory made silvers, mine was already modded when I got the cartridge.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 12:40 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Actually, i have a PlayStation (a rare limuted Hong Kong model) who can read Video CD (and burnt VCD).

https://www.journaldulapin.com/2016/08/ ... -scph5903/ (in french)

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 22:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

For a brief time after the PSOne w LCD came out someone offered an internal VCD unit that had to be soldered in. I didn’t buy it when I could and I’ve never heard mention of it again.

But the PS can’t play CD+Gs as far as I recall...

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2021, 05:03 
Serious fan
Serious fan

1) Contrary to many responses in this thread, CD+G discs can be played natively on most CD based video game consoles of the 1990s without additional cards or peripherals. CD+G plays natively without question on the following systems:

Turbo/PC-Engine CD (including Laseractive module)
Philips CD-i
Sega CD (including Laseractive module)
Sony Playstation
Sega Saturn
3do
Atari Jaguar CD
Amiga CD-32
PC-FX

Theoretically, the PS2 should be able to play CD+G discs because it is backwards compatible with the PS1. However, since the only way for the PS2 to trigger PS1 mode is to use a PS1 disc, then loading a CD+G disc in a PS2 loads the PS2 CD Player and plays the disc as a regular audio CD.

Starting with the Sega Dreamcast in 1999, CD+G support was dropped across the board for all subsequent consoles.

2) Kodak Photo CD's can be played on the following systems:

Philips CD-i (natively)
3do (natively)
PC-FX (natively)
Sega Saturn (Video CD/Photo CD card installed required, or Photo CD Operator disc required)
Amiga CD-32 (requires a Photo CD boot disc, similar to the Photo CD Operator disc on the SS)

3) Video CD can be played on the following systems

Philips CD-i (Digital Video Cartridge required or integrated Motorola DV capability required)
3do (Digital Video Module required/ FZ-1, FZ-10, Goldstar, and Samsung)
Sega Saturn (Video CD card required, various manf.)
Amiga CD-32 (DV card required)
Sony Playstation (there is one official Hong Kong PS1 model that plays them natively, and there are various third party (HK) VCD add-on cards that are notoriously terrible at playing them.)
Sega Dreamcast (with the Dream VCD add on as well as some HK add ons. Also has a lot of problems with playback.)

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2021, 07:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

got a 3rd party VCD card for my jp Saturn circa '95 giving me affordable access to so many bootleg JP/HK flicks I never woulda seen otherwise. I just finally got Sam Lee in Made in Hong Kong on DVD that's been OOP for years and years and last time I saw it was my VCD back in the '90s..I remember VCD had that weird zoom feature where you could zoom in on and pan across the giant macroblocks haha..remember trying to get a better view of Amuro Namie's ...

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2021, 16:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

laserdiscoking wrote:
1) Contrary to many responses in this thread, CD+G discs can be played natively on most CD based video game consoles of the 1990s without additional cards or peripherals. CD+G plays natively without question on the following systems:

Turbo/PC-Engine CD (including Laseractive module)
Philips CD-i
Sega CD (including Laseractive module)
Sony Playstation
Sega Saturn
3do
Atari Jaguar CD
Amiga CD-32
PC-FX

Theoretically, the PS2 should be able to play CD+G discs because it is backwards compatible with the PS1. However, since the only way for the PS2 to trigger PS1 mode is to use a PS1 disc, then loading a CD+G disc in a PS2 loads the PS2 CD Player and plays the disc as a regular audio CD.

Starting with the Sega Dreamcast in 1999, CD+G support was dropped across the board for all subsequent consoles.

2) Kodak Photo CD's can be played on the following systems:

Philips CD-i (natively)
3do (natively)
PC-FX (natively)
Sega Saturn (Video CD/Photo CD card installed required, or Photo CD Operator disc required)
Amiga CD-32 (requires a Photo CD boot disc, similar to the Photo CD Operator disc on the SS)

3) Video CD can be played on the following systems

Philips CD-i (Digital Video Cartridge required or integrated Motorola DV capability required)
3do (Digital Video Module required/ FZ-1, FZ-10, Goldstar, and Samsung)
Sega Saturn (Video CD card required, various manf.)
Amiga CD-32 (DV card required)
Sony Playstation (there is one official Hong Kong PS1 model that plays them natively, and there are various third party (HK) VCD add-on cards that are notoriously terrible at playing them.)
Sega Dreamcast (with the Dream VCD add on as well as some HK add ons. Also has a lot of problems with playback.)

I believe the OP is now gone but even though your post is definitive I can assure you he’d only read three lines of it and then start asking questions you already answered. He started tons of threads like this and no matter how carefully we answered he wouldn’t pay attention. He just loved to ask questions, I guess. He’d start multiple threads about the same topic.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2021, 17:12 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I first heard of CD+G when I got a Turbo Duo back in 93 or 94. Didn't get to actually see one in action until I got stationed in Japan when I was in the Navy in 95 and some stores in Akihabara were showing off some CD players with CD+G capabilities. Just some traditional Japanese music CDs with images of tori gates and temples in 8 bit color.

Didn't own any until I started getting karaoke discs, both CD+G and LD.

As far as burnt VCDs go, in the early 00s I used to burn VCDs of fansubbed anime I would download to bring to friends' houses and play them back on my Saturn (I have the JVC PhotoCD card.) Worked pretty well! I think I still have some of episodes of Tenjou Tenge on VCD in a box somewhere!

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2