It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:22

Page 1 of 5 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Choose my first LD player
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018, 10:15 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hi,I'm new here due to my love of obscure anime and movies and Vinyl sized artwork it led me here.
Now I need a Laserdisc player but there's a problem I go to ebay and I can't purchase any of them my payment got refused over and over and it's been for few days now I'm really starting to lost hope.
Any other sites just don't sell laserdisc player anymore or even if they do will not ship to Thailand which is where I live.
So it brings me to this one store near chinatown in Bangkok where they sell many audio/video players and I searched the site and they only have two Laserdisc players left.
One is a Panasonic LX-H170 and another a Pioneer CLD-2750K.
So which one should I buy?
Of course if you guys have better offers than these two then let me know,but I can't pay more than $100 for a player since the shipping will eat up most of my budget anyway.

Post subject: Re: Choose my first LD player
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018, 16:35 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I'd probably would go for the Pioneer one since you can find parts for it. Also I guess that model would double as a Karaoke player as well.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018, 16:52 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Well I tend to lean towards Pioneer anyway since both my DVD and BD players are from Pioneer and they're rock solid. (DVD player from 2001 and BD player are from 2011)
I still need more advice from other members though.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 01:15 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

discolaservision wrote:
Well I tend to lean towards Pioneer anyway since both my DVD and BD players are from Pioneer and they're rock solid. (DVD player from 2001 and BD player are from 2011)
I still need more advice from other members though.

You really aren't going to get much more info, your best issue is to do some google searching as this type of topic has
been brought up over 1000 times and everybody postes the same answers.

Google is your friend, do a search.
I've been searching on insulation of older homes, I am able to find all the info I need, so no need to bother others as I did my own homework :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 04:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

discolaservision wrote:
Pioneer CLD-2750K

A bit of an off-topic comment here, but I tried looking up pictures of this one and instead saw pictures of CLD-2760K which has an AC-3 out - didn't know they made Laserkaraoke machines with those! :shock:

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 08:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's pretty easy to add, so why not? The CLD-V880 added VCD, which required an extra circuit board.

Either player is good, but the Pioneer will probably be easier to maintain.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 09:30 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hey I just found more players on ebay that I interested in but probably not going to buy since the shipping are very expensive.
1982 Pioneer LD-1100 clean,experimental looking player but the video out connector in the back looked like it's not for composite video I don't know it looked real thick compared to later models with yellow color.
Pioneer industrial Laserdisc players:
LD-V2600 and LD-V4200 I heard they're more reliable than consumer models but man I like the rugged build of the industrial players.
Any thoughts on buying these 1980s Pioneer Players I mentioned above?
I'm gonna have to wait before I pick CLD-2750K until after the chinese new year period passed since the store around that area would closed during this time that store near chinatown included.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 12:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

discolaservision wrote:
Hey I just found more players on ebay that I interested in but probably not going to buy since the shipping are very expensive.
1982 Pioneer LD-1100 clean,experimental looking player but the video out connector in the back looked like it's not for composite video I don't know it looked real thick compared to later models with yellow color.
Pioneer industrial Laserdisc players:
LD-V2600 and LD-V4200 I heard they're more reliable than consumer models but man I like the rugged build of the industrial players.
Any thoughts on buying these 1980s Pioneer Players I mentioned above?
I'm gonna have to wait before I pick CLD-2750K until after the chinese new year period passed since the store around that area would closed during this time that store near chinatown included.

Yeah, don't bother with the LD-1100, except maybe as a novelty. The connector is probably either BNC which is easy to convert to RCA, or RF which you're gonna need a modulator for, but those old players only support analog audio which seriously limits the amount of discs you can actually watch on it.

The industrial players lack the bells and whistles of most consumer models, but they do play both analog and digital audio (albeit with an internal converter so only analog signal actually comes out), so unless you need AC-3 or DTS support, both of those are probably about the same as the 2750K except without the karaoke features.

Maybe someone with actual experience with those particular models can tell you more.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 13:05 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Yeah,that LD-1100 would look great for novelty item really can't get over how great it looks but some said it looked boring.
I'm eyeing for those industrial player models for awhile now I like the no nonsense look and build of them.
I'm more into analog audio anyway and I can just get those AC-3 DTS stuff on DVD and I'm not so crazy about it so I'm fine with not having those features as my first player.
I'll let you guys know which player I would get soon.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 18:30 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hey guys I finally chose my first player it's the Pioneer CLD-V2600 after a lot of thinking between the other industrial players like V2200,V4200 and V6000A all of them looked great but I chose V2600 because obviously it's the lightest and newest player (Manufactured in 2001) of the list, don't eat that much power and shipping cost are the cheapest as well as more controls than most industrial players (But damn I can't get over the beastly look of V6000A but shipping a beast costs good money)
I actually found Pioneer DVL-9 in Thailand but unfortunately it's an old listing so it already sold out.
And my first suggestion the CLD-2750K? someone already picked it up this evening for chinese new year present or something,Who would've thought a combo player like that would sell in this day an age of 4K and HDR? I was very wrong!
Thank you everyone who replied.
Maybe next time if I'm stumbled upon one of these industrial players again I'll give it a try...V6000A you sexy rough beast!

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 01:53 
True fan
True fan

Though I've never owned a v2600 I would guess it would be a decent first player, fairly basic but should have a decent amount of features, pretty sure it is single sided so you will need to change sides manually, The one advantage of the 2750k is it has both side play, maybe a reason someone wanted it beside being a karaoke machine. Other then that though I don't think you would be missing out much vs the 2750k, I also prefer the look of the industrial players.

However if you are considering the LD-V6000a I would strongly advise against it, although it does have a cool look that player is an old machine from around 1984 and is very dated even by LD standards, my first player was an LD-V6000, it was cool at first but I found myself quickly upgrading to something better. it would be a major downgrade from a V2600, if you are interested in other industrial players I would look at the LD-v8000.

But the most important thing is that you receive the player in working condition.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 03:26 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Someone said the V2600 was simply a beefed up model based on entry level model but hey I don't expect my first player to knock it out of the park with kick a** specs I just looking for reliable machine and this looked like one.
You still have to understand that shipping stuff from US this heavy are very expensive it costed me almost $100 on shipping while player itself costed only $50
I'm definitely looking to go after V8000 or other higher end industrial models in months to come.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 03:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The closest thing to a "high end" industrial player you're gonna find is one that plays both sides :P They were mostly intended for classroom and business use.

I'm interested in acquiring one myself at some point, largely to see what I can do with that serial port connection. The V2800 seems like a good choice, it also seems to make itself a bit more compact than other models by placing the controls below or above the tray rather than next to it.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 05:06 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Actually I was considering V2800 but I have payment issue at the time few days before I joined lddb and I can't solve it in time so I let the listing ended without anyone buy it.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 11:13 
discolaservision wrote:
Hey guys I finally chose my first player it's the Pioneer CLD-V2600 after a lot of thinking between the other industrial players like V2200,V4200 and V6000A all of them looked great but I chose V2600 because obviously it's the lightest and newest player (Manufactured in 2001) of the list, don't eat that much power and shipping cost are the cheapest as well as more controls than most industrial players (But damn I can't get over the beastly look of V6000A but shipping a beast costs good money)
I actually found Pioneer DVL-9 in Thailand but unfortunately it's an old listing so it already sold out.
And my first suggestion the CLD-2750K? someone already picked it up this evening for chinese new year present or something,Who would've thought a combo player like that would sell in this day an age of 4K and HDR? I was very wrong!
Thank you everyone who replied.
Maybe next time if I'm stumbled upon one of these industrial players again I'll give it a try...V6000A you sexy rough beast!

where did you purchase this late model V2600?
manufactured in 2001 is very great since V2600 started it's life back in early 90's.

these players are built to last, however how does the display illuminate?
does it still illuminate bright like new or is it faded from dried caps?
I've seen lots of these on Fleabay with fading displays

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 13:48 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I purchased it from ebay.
The seller didn't show pictures of the player while it was on so I don't know about the display light.
I can send the pictures after I receive it which will take at least a week or two from now.
The back said "MFD. October 2001" now I'm really surprised late 2001 that's like DVD era and they still manufacturing a player that plays dead format it's kinda sad really.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 14:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

discolaservision wrote:
The back said "MFD. October 2001" now I'm really surprised late 2001 that's like DVD era and they still manufacturing a player that plays dead format it's kinda sad really.

discolaservision wrote:
dead format

:shifty:

Not as dead as divx tho!

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 15:19 
discolaservision wrote:
I purchased it from ebay.
The seller didn't show pictures of the player while it was on so I don't know about the display light.
I can send the pictures after I receive it which will take at least a week or two from now.

I hope you gave seller instructions how to securely pack your player for safe delivery to Thailand?!
couriers are most of the times real idiots when they play soccer with boxes delivering broken LD-players.
let's hope your player arrives safe and sound :thumbup:

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 16:03 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I actually got more pictures after I asked the seller and yes the LED display are lit up brightly.
Well time to for some laserdisc movie shopping I think.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 16:27 
discolaservision wrote:
I actually got more pictures after I asked the seller and yes the LED display are lit up brightly.
Well time to for some laserdisc movie shopping I think.

camera flash do sometimes improve picture details of fading displays, pics could sometimes be deceiving?
you'll know when you fire it up the first time if everything is OK with display?

may I ask how much you had to pay for this player?
did it come in factory box complete with accessories?

Page 1 of 5 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next