It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:40

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Repair Options?
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2018, 15:08 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hello,

I'm just wondering is there anyone in the United States; preferably east of the Mississippi, and even more preferably, New York that works on vintage electronics anymore such as CED? I have a 400 series player that has a busted rod transfer gear and while I do have a replacement gear coming, I do not have the tools or space to affect a successful repair. Thoughts? Options?

Thanks,
Daniel

Post subject: Re: Repair Options?
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2018, 15:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

lyonadmiral wrote:
Hello,

I'm just wondering is there anyone in the United States; preferably east of the Mississippi, and even more preferably, New York that works on vintage electronics anymore such as CED? I have a 400 series player that has a busted rod transfer gear and while I do have a replacement gear coming, I do not have the tools or space to affect a successful repair. Thoughts? Options?

Thanks,
Daniel

Several things:

1) Do you know about CEDmagic.com? Go there and request a membership and post your problem. There are a number of hobbyists that repair CED players and any number of them can help you.

2) Are you talking about the transfer rod coupling? I have changed the coupling on an SJT-200 and found it to be a bear of a job.

3) Go here: http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=38for a service manual for your SJT-400.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2018, 17:11 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi and thanks for the quick reply,

1. Yes, I am aware of CED Magic. I've been a follower of the website since 1995 and the forum since its' inception. I will post again there.
2. Yes, the transfer rod coupling and it is a bear of a job. I had an old parts player that I was trying to extract one from and ended up breaking even that. :(
3. I do have a copy of that but I'm a very visual bench tech and didn't find it very useful to me.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2018, 18:09 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I think your best option is epoxy in this type of situation.
If its broken I would just put the part back in a put epoxy around the broken area.
Good luck getting it to play again.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2018, 19:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

lyonadmiral wrote:
Hi and thanks for the quick reply,

1. Yes, I am aware of CED Magic. I've been a follower of the website since 1995 and the forum since its' inception. I will post again there.
2. Yes, the transfer rod coupling and it is a bear of a job. I had an old parts player that I was trying to extract one from and ended up breaking even that. :(
3. I do have a copy of that but I'm a very visual bench tech and didn't find it very useful to me.

In replacing the coupling on my SJT-200, I broke 2 before I got the player working so don't feel bad.

I have an SJT-400 player that needs a coupling except it has other problems. Before the coupling broke on me, the 2 side lights turned on when you inserted a disc which is not right. I have shelved the player as I do not need another one at this time. (I have 5 working players.) My Sears 934.54810350 player has its video jack inoperable right now so I am not counting it.
CED

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2018, 20:44 
Third post and above
Third post and above

rein-o wrote:
I think your best option is epoxy in this type of situation.
If its broken I would just put the part back in a put epoxy around the broken area.
Good luck getting it to play again.

The part that broke is kind of like a spindle within a gear and that snapped right off so epoxy won't work in this application, but otherwise good idea.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2018, 22:46 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I had a lower model CED player that when you flicked the lever it would turn the bar and you could slide the caddy etc.
That plastic piece was gone in small pieces, I had to get a piece of metal bend it into a U shape and then put a nut and bolt along with epoxy so that it was solid to open the caddy section.

Worked great, I even sold the player and the buyer was happy as it was a working player.
But your's must be more delicate rather than mechanical.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2018, 23:48 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I still have like 200 discs I can’t watch because the players that came with the collection are both broke. I had one shipped out for repair and it worked for about a movie and a half and now the player runs all the way through the disc mechanically but there is no signal. I can’t remember if the timer goes up or not, I think it does.

I really wish I could watch these dang movies. The quality of CED is total crap but there are some great movies here and they take up a TON of space, significantly more than LD.

I either need to move these discs or get a player working and neither option seems great...

It makes me realize how great LD is. At least they contracted Pioneer to make the decks instead of Mattel or whoever made all the terribly low end CED players.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2018, 19:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
I still have like 200 discs I can’t watch because the players that came with the collection are both broke. I had one shipped out for repair and it worked for about a movie and a half and now the player runs all the way through the disc mechanically but there is no signal. I can’t remember if the timer goes up or not, I think it does.

I really wish I could watch these dang movies. The quality of CED is total crap but there are some great movies here and they take up a TON of space, significantly more than LD.

I either need to move these discs or get a player working and neither option seems great...

It makes me realize how great LD is. At least they contracted Pioneer to make the decks instead of Mattel or whoever made all the terribly low end CED players.

Of the Hitachi chassis players (VIP1000, CED-1), I have found that the Hitachi VIP1000 is the best built IMHO. This judgement is based on a very tiny part that all the Hitachi players share. I am talking about the worm gear that is driven by the electric motor in the arm drive. The worm gear is made of plastic in the CED-1 players and yet in the Hitachi VIP-1000 player, the worm gear is made of metal. This shows me that the VIP1000 is built to last. I have a CED-1 player that makes a squealing noise when the stylus arm is moving quickly (as when the stylus is moving over to play a disc). This indicates that the worm gear is wearing out and will eventually need replacing (don't ask me where I could find a new worm gear).

In your case, I would recommend an Hitachi VIP-1000 or an RCA SJT-200 player. The VIP1000 is built well. Parts for the RCA are readily available (this includes the stylus, too). Go to (http://cedatum.com/). The ultimate decision as to what player you buy is up to you. I am only giving my opinion here.
CED

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2018, 21:01 
Third post and above
Third post and above

signofzeta wrote:

If you ever want to liquidate your discs, hope you will give us/me a shout...

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2018, 21:02 
Third post and above
Third post and above

dumbchemist wrote:
...I have an SJT-400 player that needs a coupling except it has other problems...

Any interest in selling the 400?

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2018, 23:01 
Third post and above
Third post and above

dumbchemist wrote:
...In replacing the coupling on my SJT-200, I broke 2 before I got the player working so don't feel bad.

Just curious, what hand tools did you/do you use?

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2018, 23:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

lyonadmiral wrote:
dumbchemist wrote:
...In replacing the coupling on my SJT-200, I broke 2 before I got the player working so don't feel bad.

Just curious, what hand tools did you/do you use?

If I remember correctly, a phillips head screwdriver was the only tool. I did have to unscrew the circuit board next to the gear that holds the coupling. I had to move the board in order to get room to remove the old coupling parts and install the new coupling.
CED

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2018, 15:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

lyonadmiral wrote:
dumbchemist wrote:
...I have an SJT-400 player that needs a coupling except it has other problems...

Any interest in selling the 400?

Not at this time only because they are a little hard to find and mine was given to me for free.
CED

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2018, 18:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

dumbchemist wrote:
In replacing the coupling on my SJT-200, I broke 2 before I got the player working so don't feel bad.

I have an SJT-400 player that needs a coupling except it has other problems. Before the coupling broke on me, the 2 side lights turned on when you inserted a disc which is not right. I have shelved the player as I do not need another one at this time. (I have 5 working players.) My Sears 934.54810350 player has its video jack inoperable right now so I am not counting it.

I have the same Sears player. I've given up trying to find a new stylus, but just this weekend I replaced both belts and now it's loading and playing again! Unfortunately it isn't compatible with the two "MysteryDisc" titles :(

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]