It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:43

Page 13 of 17 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: DVD Recorders with 3D Comb Filters
PostPosted: 15 May 2017, 21:46 
sega3dmm wrote:
gohanx wrote:
DVDO VP 50 < Panasonic DMR-ES25 < Panasonic LX-900 built in svideo < Extron YCS < Faroudja DVP-1000

Interesting that you put the LX-900's built-in S-video over the DMR-ES25's comb filter. The latter is loved around here.

I have an LX-600, which is basically the same as the LX-900 without the superior MASH DAC and Noise reduction features. It's currently hooked up via composite to a Toshiba D-RW2SU outputting 480i component to a Samsung HLS series DLP. Would you recommend S-video connected to the TV (or DVD recorder)?

I believe my issue with the Panasonic ES25 has less to do with the comb filter (which is excellent) and more to do with the built in DNR, which you can't disable in that model. Basically when you get motion you get some nasty artifacts and ghosting sometimes, I can't deal with it. I'd rather use a 2d filter with no artifacting. Other Panasonic models allow you to set DNR on and off, but I've never tested those.

I have an LX-600 as well connected to a CRT in my office. The svideo on that is garbage, the way you have it connected now is probably the best way. I always wanted to try a Toshiba since elsewhere in this thread they are reported as being good, but I think with my recent acquisition my quest for a comb filter is over :D

PostPosted: 16 May 2017, 04:16 
True fan
True fan

rbf18270 wrote:
How about the Sony RDR-GX330? Anyone know how the comb filter is on this?

thanks

I just bought one of these, I don't know anything about it, but it was cheap so thought I'd give it a shot.
Hoping it might improve the picture on the sony LCD I'm using.

PostPosted: 19 May 2017, 16:20 
Honest fan
Honest fan

gohanx wrote:
I have an LX-600 as well connected to a CRT in my office. The svideo on that is garbage, the way you have it connected now is probably the best way. I always wanted to try a Toshiba since elsewhere in this thread they are reported as being good, but I think with my recent acquisition my quest for a comb filter is over :D

That's what I thought. When I hooked it up to a CRT, I noticed the LX-600's S-video tint/hue response was altered from composite, but S-video was warmer than compositie. It could be due to the CRT's way of displaying composite that gives it a slight blue cast, but otherwise there were no improvements to S-video.

I'm enjoying my LX-600 hooked up through the Toshiba DVD-Recorder on my Samsung DLP set going on 10 years old this year. I recently hooked up an Onkyo TX-SR605 to the setup with a pair of Design Acoustics PS-10s and a KLH sub, and the LD player is hooked up through optical as well as analog audio. That's probably my preferred method of watching LD right now.

PostPosted: 22 May 2017, 20:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

gohanx wrote:
I believe my issue with the Panasonic ES25 has less to do with the comb filter (which is excellent) and more to do with the built in DNR, which you can't disable in that model.
When viewing any of the Line inputs, hit Display on the remote and then it's under the Video tab.

Attachments:
DMR-ES25 setting - Transfer 'Video'.png
DMR-ES25 setting - Transfer 'Video'.png [ 11.73 KiB | Viewed 6576 times ]

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 02:39 
Honest fan
Honest fan

So I broke down and got a Magewell Pro Capture HDMI PCI card. Ran the S&W test. Holy s**t. The Left is using S-Video. The right using Component. Both out of my RD-XS34

Caputured using AVIsynth. the only thing I did was use one call of LRemoveDust(17,2) on the right.

PostPosted: 31 May 2017, 22:49 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

msgohan wrote:
gohanx wrote:
I believe my issue with the Panasonic ES25 has less to do with the comb filter (which is excellent) and more to do with the built in DNR, which you can't disable in that model.
When viewing any of the Line inputs, hit Display on the remote and then it's under the Video tab.

Wow, thank you sir! Now I can record LDs without the crappy DNR artifacts.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2017, 21:14 
Whoa! I had no idea! I'll give it a shot.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2017, 19:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Shameless plug, but selling a Pioneer DVR-531h here: Pioneer DVR-531H DVD Recorder - $40

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2018, 04:31 
Honest fan
Honest fan

virtualvcr wrote:
Do the Panasonic DVD Recorders shut off after a set amount of time? I'm having that issue with my Toshiba. I tried to use it to comb some VHS recordings I was capping but it shut off around 2 hours in (it was an 8 hour tape :shock:). Thinking about getting one if they allow me to keep it on for a while.

Edit: The DMR-E20 does have the option to keep on indefinitely or in 2 hour intervals up to 6. Checked it on the manual.

Edit 2: The first manual I checked was the UK version. the US version on Panny's FTP (copyright 2001) doesn't have these options listed.
Got a DMR-E20. The settings do have an option to turn off the timer for shutdown. Mine is a US Model btw.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2018, 11:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

i have a Panasonic DMR-ES35 (VHS-DVD-comb filter),it is a good investment cause if your crt tv dies, you can connect it (VHS) to a new led tv via Component and also
a Laserdisc player through using the composite-Svideo inputs of the DMR-ES35

Panasonic DMRs are gold if you are on the cheap;

you get a really good VHS player for a crt
you get a really good VHS player for a new Led tv
you get a really good DVD to VHS is you like it
you get a good AV Receiver with comb filter to put your laserdisc playback on your new Led tv via Component

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 00:13 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Does anyone else own a Panasonic DMR-E20? Do you like it?

I've had one for a few months on the suggested of the late disclord and Its only ok. Like it has a filter and seems to be decent, but I feel like I get better results out of my Toshiba DR-XS34. The one thing I love about the DMR-E20 is the auto-shutoff feature. The DR-XS34 has one that you can't turn off. The DMR-E20 has options for 2/4/6 or never. I can see using it for VHS tapes but not for LDs.

I've checked the settings and manuals and there aren't any options for the Comb filter like it seems you have with the DMR-ES10/15/25. There's a setting for 3D-Y/S under the video tab in settings, but I believe that's for DVD playback / recording, not pass through.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 08:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

....well..you can record the LD on DVD-r (comb filter on) ang get really good results

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 18:48 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I wish I could find a DVD recorder or ANY exernal device that uses the same 3D comb filter Sony used in their XBR and higher end WEGA CRTs.

I was always floored at how well it nearly eliminated cross-color and dot-crawl and gave such great color response.

I've kicked around the idea of trying to get one of Sony's older DVD recorder with the hopes of finding that same comb filter used in those, but never got around to it.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2018, 13:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Any medium level Trinitron has a good comb filter...there are zillions of them

Search for a "Samsung DVD Recorder" they use 3Linear comb filters..very good

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2018, 15:43 
True fan
True fan

elahrairrah wrote:
I wish I could find a DVD recorder or ANY exernal device that uses the same 3D comb filter Sony used in their XBR and higher end WEGA CRTs.

I was always floored at how well it nearly eliminated cross-color and dot-crawl and gave such great color response.

I've kicked around the idea of trying to get one of Sony's older DVD recorder with the hopes of finding that same comb filter used in those, but never got around to it.

Your post got me thinking, I have the Sony RDR-GX330 I bought last year to try out, I tested it on a Sony Bravia to see if it would upscale the picture through component.I found in testing that going through component out into the LCD yielded almost no difference then going straight into composite, so I ended up shelving it.

However this morning I tried running a 3070 composite to the GX330 and then component into a 24" wega CRT, the result was a pretty Good! There was definitely a noticeable improvement over the composite in on the Wega, I believe the 330 has a 3D comb filter, I am wondering if it similar to what is in the XBRs.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2018, 16:57 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

ertoili wrote:
Any medium level Trinitron has a good comb filter...there are zillions of them

Search for a "Samsung DVD Recorder" they use 3Linear comb filters..very good

Not all Sony TV comb filters are created equal.

My mother's TV was a Sony KV-32FS120 WEGA which had a so-so 2D comb filter.

I replaced it with a Sony KV-32HS510 HD-ready WEGA which has a very good 3D comb filter (possible the same as the XBR models.)

It's possible that they're using the same 3D comb filters in their BRAVIA 4K TVs since members here are raving about the quality of the comb filter in them when running LD players into them just using composite.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2018, 17:02 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

sjoerg wrote:
[Your post got me thinking, I have the Sony RDR-GX330 I bought last year to try out, I tested it on a Sony Bravia to see if it would upscale the picture through component.I found in testing that going through component out into the LCD yielded almost no difference then going straight into composite, so I ended up shelving it.

However this morning I tried running a 3070 composite to the GX330 and then component into a 24" wega CRT, the result was a pretty Good! There was definitely a noticeable improvement over the composite in on the Wega, I believe the 330 has a 3D comb filter, I am wondering if it similar to what is in the XBRs.

It's quite possible.

In the last part of this video, I show the results of plugging a Panasonic LX-900 into a 40" WEGA XBR using the Snell & Wilcox test pattern. Not the best quality, but you might be able to see if you have gotten similar results as that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbbh3xY3zXA

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2018, 13:48 
True fan
True fan

All the Wegas I own use the 3 line filter, it is pretty good imo but not as good as the 3D used in the upper models, as far as I know a 3D comb doesn't come in anything smaller then 27", and only in the XBR or HS line.

I do like the 3 line combs and found when comparing composite of my 20" Wega to a JVC i'art pro HDCRT I found overall I liked the image on the Wega better then the JVC, which is supposed to compete with the XBRs.

I'll have to do more testing to see if the GX330 looks as good as the 40" XBR, unfortunately I don't think I have the S&W pattern because I actually don't have video essentials, I only have a video standard and some older analog test discs.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 18:18 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Video Essentials is definitely worth the pickup for the S&W test plate and the other calibration patterns

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 19:24 
True fan
True fan

It's certainly been on my list for some time, I guess I've been offput by the bloated prices on ebay, always seem to miss the low selling ones...

Page 13 of 17 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next