It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:22

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: How do you Clean a Moldy LD Player?
PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 00:59 
True fan
True fan

I am highly allergic to mold. I have an R7G LD player that was unfortunately stored in a moldy garage. I have been reading about different types of chemicals that can clean the player, but I am afraid of damaging the electronic components. Some have suggested Isopropyl alcohol to clean the unit inside and out. Does anyone know if this would effectively remove mold, especially internally? I was considering dipping the LD player in a large basin of Isopropyl alcohol to kill the mold.

Also, does anyone know of any other substances that would work to remove the mold without damaging the player? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: How do you Clean a Moldy LD Player?
PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 01:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You’re going to have to take it apart. That’s just unavoidable.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 02:45 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Oh boy, you are in for some major work.
I would take it apart and vacuum it with a brush attachment, or get some type of clean dry paintbrush and vacuum then see about any cleaners.

You may want to look into possibly a window cleaner as that may clean better than alcohol.

But no matter you are in for some major work, are you sure its not just on the outside??
Can't you just let it sit in the sun outside open???
I would try that, vacuum and then let it sit outside in the sun first.

But all options are at your own risk.
Good luck with it.

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 16:36 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
Oh boy, you are in for some major work.
I would take it apart and vacuum it with a brush attachment, or get some type of clean dry paintbrush and vacuum then see about any cleaners.

You may want to look into possibly a window cleaner as that may clean better than alcohol.

But no matter you are in for some major work, are you sure its not just on the outside??
Can't you just let it sit in the sun outside open???
I would try that, vacuum and then let it sit outside in the sun first.

But all options are at your own risk.
Good luck with it.

I'm going to take it apart and place it in the sun when the weather changes in my state. I like your idea of a vacuum then using a paint brush to get into the crevices. I'll look into window cleaner but it must not contain any water because of the electronics. Yes, a big job but the player is worth it I think. thanks.

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 17:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes the player is worth it, I loved my R7G.

I would do any liquid as a last resort, see if the brush, vacuum and sun will do the job first then possibly look into some type of electric cleaner.
Contact cleaner may work also but anything used will have to wait for the liquid to dry before plugging in.

Not saying to do this but I had an amp from a friend that was underwater from a flood, after 1 month I took it apart and used window cleaner to clean out all the dirt from the flood.

2-3 weeks after that I plugged it in and all was great, still working to this day.

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 23:25 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
Yes the player is worth it, I loved my R7G.

I would do any liquid as a last resort, see if the brush, vacuum and sun will do the job first then possibly look into some type of electric cleaner.
Contact cleaner may work also but anything used will have to wait for the liquid to dry before plugging in.

Not saying to do this but I had an amp from a friend that was underwater from a flood, after 1 month I took it apart and used window cleaner to clean out all the dirt from the flood.

2-3 weeks after that I plugged it in and all was great, still working to this day.
The thing is, mold is a very tricky contaminant to eradicate. Initially I sprayed electrical contact cleaner into the guts of the unit but the mold spores remained .
That’s why I’m leaning towards an almost 100%?isopropryl alcohol. You just can’t find pure alcohol . I hope the 1% of water in the alcohol isn’t an issue with the electronics .

PostPosted: 17 May 2018, 03:27 
True fan
True fan

I think it would be doubtful that such a small amount of water would effect anything, I believe alcohol is often used in additives to remove water in fuel systems, most likely it will evaporate quickly and take any water traces with it, especially if left in the sun.

I would be careful though about using it around the laser lens, as it's been stated it might harm the film that covers it.

Also some of the more delicate electrical components could be effected if they get exposed to too much alcohol but I don't know enough to say more on that, I just wouldn't overdo it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]