It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:19

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Faroudja processors
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2014, 04:08 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

So, I've come to the point where I'm ready to step it up and get a VP. I'm highly interested in the Fauoudja line of products. They seem to have been considered the cat's meow back when laserdisc was king. Nowadays, there are so many choices on the market, it makes my head swim trying to research these things. I'm only interested in processing LD so HDMI inputs will be of no value to me. I'm specifically interested in the DVP-1010. Has anyone out there ever owned this model? If so, could you please give your opinions, likes, dislikes? How much of an improvement can I expect to see with this model? I will be running it between a DVL-700 and a Sanyo 55" LCD. Thanks...

Post subject: Re: Faroudja processors
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2014, 04:30 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Well, no bites on that one... How about this? As far as the NRS series goes, if I score a unit set for 720p (my TV is 1080p) would I be correct in assuming that I will still be taking advantage of a superior deinterlacing and conversion from analog composite into digital DVI (which I believe I can convert to HDMI with a simple plug) and my TV will just need to upscale from 720p to 1080p, which should look much better than a 480i to 1080p conversion?? Any input would be appreciated...

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2014, 05:34 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I own a NRS unit although not in use for long time. My unit is 480p so its only de-interlacing. I had a CLD-97 hooked up to it for a brief while. I found the comb filter of equal quality to CLD-97's built in 2D adaptive comb filter(NRS is also 2D adaptive). De-interlacing is well above average but behind HQV, DVDO(ABT), QDEO, VXP. It is excellent in film mode(3:2 pull down) and video(DCDi) but any unusual cadence will fail it de-interlacing properly(DVDO/ABT is best in this). It's noise reduction is best one I have found for Laserdisc. The trouble part is color processing. It applies some filtering on Chroma and cuts the bandwidth in half. It is argued that this might be beneficial for composite video with digital audio embedded. Digital audio tracks are laid so close to Chroma signal and on poorly mastered discs leaks in. Faroudja's solution is shaving this portion off, the result is less noise/less color. Disadvantage: not much color on LD to begin with(about 100lines of color on very best machine). Scaling is probably one of the earliest generation. can't expect much here but it is a simpler process than de-interlacing. Last couple years most flat panels does this very good.

If you are going into digital display, I recommend a VP with DVI or HDMI output. Most NRS only have RGB. LD video is digitized and converted to analog in the LD player once. VP will digitize it to process and if has HDMI/DVI it will stay in digital all the rest. I would recommend Faroudja units only if can be bought under $100 with reasonable shipping. $200 and higher budget should look for DVDO VP30 and newer.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2014, 22:05 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Thanks for the info. At this point, I'm just trying to get my feet wet with a decent VP on the cheap, as my LD player isn't the greatest yet. I see a lot of people asking a small fortune for very outdated equipment on Ebay, but if the price is right, I hope to jump on one soon.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2014, 23:00 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Well, I scored a Faroudja Picture Plus NRS with DVI for $90. :D It should be here Thursday. I'm pretty excited to play around with it. I'm not expecting miracles, just hope to see a noticable improvement. I really liked this line of processors because they are made in the USA and seem to be specifically geared at upgrading 480i signals.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2014, 20:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

substance wrote:
I own a NRS unit although not in use for long time. My unit is 480p so its only de-interlacing. I had a CLD-97 hooked up to it for a brief while. I found the comb filter of equal quality to CLD-97's built in 2D adaptive comb filter(NRS is also 2D adaptive). De-interlacing is well above average but behind HQV, DVDO(ABT), QDEO, VXP. It is excellent in film mode(3:2 pull down) and video(DCDi) but any unusual cadence will fail it de-interlacing properly(DVDO/ABT is best in this). It's noise reduction is best one I have found for Laserdisc. The trouble part is color processing. It applies some filtering on Chroma and cuts the bandwidth in half. It is argued that this might be beneficial for composite video with digital audio embedded. Digital audio tracks are laid so close to Chroma signal and on poorly mastered discs leaks in. Faroudja's solution is shaving this portion off, the result is less noise/less color. Disadvantage: not much color on LD to begin with(about 100lines of color on very best machine). Scaling is probably one of the earliest generation. can't expect much here but it is a simpler process than de-interlacing. Last couple years most flat panels does this very good.

If you are going into digital display, I recommend a VP with DVI or HDMI output. Most NRS only have RGB. LD video is digitized and converted to analog in the LD player once. VP will digitize it to process and if has HDMI/DVI it will stay in digital all the rest. I would recommend Faroudja units only if can be bought under $100 with reasonable shipping. $200 and higher budget should look for DVDO VP30 and newer.

The problem of chroma/Right channel audio interference is not a real problem on NTSC LD's with players that implement proper filtering. Low cost and low quality players do not filter the signals properly, leading to chroma beats and interference. Higher quality players don't have the problem. Also, it's not like PAL discs which simply don't have the bandwidth to hold fully saturated chroma and fully modulated analog audio at the same time - and the chroma must also be cut back on PCM LD's in the PAL standard. NTSC LD's have no such limitations. With proper filtering NTSC LD's can have fully saturated chroma with 2Mhz bandwidth (160 lines) and fully modulated (150 kHz) CX encoded audio. For AC-3 LD's the carrier frequency was moved up from 2.3MHz for analog audio to 2.8MHz for the QPSK modulated signal with a bandwidth of 144kHz. The AC-3 signal is slightly interleaved with the chroma carrier so 2MHz chroma bandwidth is still possible. The AC-3 RF output sends out the entire 13.5MHz RF spectrum of the disc - MSB engineered it this way so that Pioneer could modify the LaserDisc format and keep players compatible, needing only an adapter to demodulate the RF signal. Sadly, the LaserDisc format died before the compatible digital MPEG-2 LaserDisc could be implemented.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 00:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

i'm wondering how much of the picture i will lose....

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 11:15 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Happy to say my processor arrived in one piece and fully functional! I am using the component out at the moment because Radio Shack wanted $40 for the DVI to HDMI cable!!! (I ordered one off of Amazon for $7 today) Looks pretty good... The first thing I noticed was that when paused or when I brought up the LD setup menu, I had quite a bit of the picture jumping around when I was connected directly to the TV. Now, it's rock solid steady when fed through the VP. Still trying to get all of my settings tweaked between the unit and monitor, but I'm kind of waiting until my cable comes so I have the propper connections. Overall, I'm pretty happy.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 00:30 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

So, my cable finally came the other day and I got everything hooked up. Nice, smooth picture. Colors are more pronounced. The "detail" function is nice, it's like "sharpness" without the added noise. The differences between running through the processor vs. a direct connection are subtle, but noticable. As mentioned above, my picture is much more stable. Also, the 16x9 screen fills out nicely without changing the aspect. There is some of the image cropped, so it's a tradeoff, but I prefer this over the wide faces I was used to seeing. I'm pretty happy now with my current setup. Now I can begin the hunt for a better player and a projector...mmmuuuuuahahahaha!! It's funny, my wife got me back into laserdiscs last October when she gave me Phantasm II for my birthday. It was the first new disc I had since about '97. Since then, I've increased my collection from 32 titles up to 80 and purchased 2 players and now a processor. I admit it, I'm addicted!!

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 14:21 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Do you use the analog RGB's, or the DVI output?

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 15:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

weren't these like $10.000/$20.000 processors back in the late-1990's?!?

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2018, 00:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yes. The prices on early tech are usually insane and high end video processing was certainly no exception. Contrast to the Edge (which I am not a big fan of but a reasonable option) which was like $800 at launch (2008 or so iirc).

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2018, 19:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The Faroudja DVP-1010, 1500, and 1510 seem to be the ones to look for, these have DVI (HDMI) out and outperform the NRS line (which if they have DVI out it is component not HDMI).

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018, 21:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

pbiancardi wrote:
The Faroudja DVP-1010, 1500, and 1510 seem to be the ones to look for, these have DVI (HDMI) out and outperform the NRS line (which if they have DVI out it is component not HDMI).

Are these three the only desirable ones now?

I've been wanting to get another video processor to pair with a plasma tv I got recently. Nice tv but the deinterlacing is poop. I'm more familiar with DVDO and Lumagen processors but there aren't any models from those two I would want at a decent price point right now so I was starting to look more into other options like Faroudja.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 02:56 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tasuke wrote:
weren't these like $10.000/$20.000 processors back in the late-1990's?!?

I remember going to some Home Theater consumer show at the time where A/V Amp with DTS decoding were just reaching the French market.
I couldn't afford the DD/DTS one (Sherwood R-945) and had to settle for a DD only at that time (Sherwood R-925).

Then they were demoing video projector (Barco mainly) with Faroudja VP and ... I was dripping but could never afford either the hardware nor the room space needed for these monsters! Even the simple de-interlacing units were out of reach.

Julien

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 14:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well I sent out an offer to a seller with a 1010. I read that they don't properly output 1080p but that's not really an issue for the set I'd be using it with and the price would be right...

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2018, 16:29 
Serious fan
Serious fan

landisman13 wrote:
I'm specifically interested in the DVP-1010. Has anyone out there ever owned this model? If so, could you please give your opinions, likes, dislikes? How much of an improvement can I expect to see with this model? I will be running it between a DVL-700 and a Sanyo 55" LCD. Thanks...

I picked up a cheap Faroudja DVP-1010 recently at a local eRecycle type of place. No remote, so using RS232 on the back. It has DVI output and will convert any analog input to the DVI output. It features DCDi and all of the outputs are progressive.

I'm fairly happy with this model from 2004, which is the same family as the DVP-1000 (2003) and DVP-1080 (2005). They all use the same remote and have only minor differences.

A/B between composite straight into the TV is slightly better but I'm also seeing more cross color artifacts on things like car grills or AC vents than before. 2D vs 3D comb filter I suppose. The picture is more defined and as mentioned previously, stable. Colors are nice too. Scaling to LD to 720P looks as good or better than from LD to 4K in one jump.

What I'm not 100% clear on is the output format. I have the unit set to output 720P (1280x720) from the DVI and using an HDMI adapter into TV. The manual states the frequency of this setting is 59.94hz, so I'm assuming its 60 progressive frames/second. Shouldn't it be 23.98 if it is doing the DCDi IVTC and coming out of DVI? My TV only tells me that the input is receiving "720P in 16:9" not details on frame rate unfortunately. All of the output settings are at 59.94Hz so changing the output doesn't help, using component out would be the same frame rate as well.

This make me wonder what's going on there. The DVP-1010 is definitely seeing NTSC 480i on the input and outputting "720P".

Is there an easy, obvious way to test this? Perhaps with something from video essentials or the pioneer test disc?

For the composite input to TV I'm using the 3D comb filter and IVTC built into the TV. As I said, the differences are subtle but I *know* its set correctly and looks great. The TV sees NTSC 480i and does the conversion and upscale internally.

I'm trying to find something affordable (i.e. non-lumagen) to improve over the TV but I guess the TV is maybe already as good or better than this 10+ year old technology?

Manual: http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/DVP-1010.pdf

Any thought or suggestions are welcome and needed, thanks!

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]