It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:36

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: marantz cdv-770 compared to pioneer.....?
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2018, 11:52 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

hello guys,

i'm looking at the possibility to buy a marantz cdv-770. I cannot however seem to find any info on how good or bad this device is...
have searched the forum and found in this thread http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3094&hilit=marantz+770 that it is based on the cld99s chassis. but unfortunately nothing more than that.

any of you have more info? what pq can i expect? i have a cld-d925 for pal (as i read here that ntsc playback is subpar) and a dvl-909 for mostly ntsc. i'm quite new to the ld-world compared to most of you so i come to you for advice! would this unit be an upgrade over what i have atm?

thank you in advance! :D

Post subject: Re: marantz cdv-770 compared to pioneer.....?
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018, 23:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Well..... I have no experience with this particular machine but I do own a CLD-3030 (Japanese version of the CLD-99S) of which it is based on and I still like the performance of my machine.

It doesn't have the best picture quality since it was a late 80's machine but I think it holds its own very well. I actually think the digital field memory circuit in these older machines seemed better than the later models as it appears to capture more frames during FF / REW effects on CLV discs for a more fluid effect (or maybe it's my imagination).

Anyway, I do like the remote that comes with this Marantz and if the machine is in overall good condition, I would say to get it. Just remember this is a single side play machine in case you were looking for an auto reverse model.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018, 23:53 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

ldfan wrote:
Well..... I have no experience with this particular machine but I do own a CLD-3030 (Japanese version of the CLD-99S) of which it is based on and I still like the performance of my machine.

It doesn't have the best picture quality since it was a late 80's machine but I think it holds its own very well. I actually think the digital field memory circuit in these older machines seemed better than the later models as it appears to capture more frames during FF / REW effects on CLV discs for a more fluid effect (or maybe it's my imagination).

Anyway, I do like the remote that comes with this Marantz and if the machine is in overall good condition, I would say to get it. Just remember this is a single side play machine in case you were looking for an auto reverse model.

thank you for your reply! I know that it is single sided but t.b.h. it doesn't bother me to get up and flip the disc. I don't know why but I expected it to be a bit "younger" as a machine. However marantz always made good gear as far as i know and if it's well maintained it shouldn't necessarily be a problem. Will look into this and see if i can get a good deal...if I can i think i'll take the plunge!
thx!

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2018, 00:32 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

If you need a player, it works and is under 100 bucks I would get it.
Sure you will get better PQ from an X0 but then again there are no parts for either player and one is a lot more expensive.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2018, 02:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

atomnl wrote:

thank you for your reply! I know that it is single sided but t.b.h. it doesn't bother me to get up and flip the disc. I don't know why but I expected it to be a bit "younger" as a machine.

Younger doesn't always mean better.

The 80's were a time when "all" AV components were really built like tanks. Around the time of the release of the CLD-??80 series which is about two years after the CLD-??30 series, we started to see a lot more lighter weight machines and in my opinion more fragile as well. I remember looking at the CLD-980 and was shocked how light it was and it showed in its performance (really vibrated a lot).

Quote:
However marantz always made good gear as far as i know and if it's well maintained it shouldn't necessarily be a problem. Will look into this and see if i can get a good deal...if I can i think i'll take the plunge!
thx!

The Marantz does appear to have a slightly higher external build quality in addition to the nice wood side panels vs. the Pioneer CLD-3030 but it's guts are pretty much the same. I don't think you can go wrong with this unit unless it has pre-exisiting issues right now. I still haven't replaced anything inside of my unit including the belts and I'm a bit shocked by that after all these years (although a spring retainer on my flip down door did break a few months ago but I did get it fixed quickly and it's good again :thumbup: )

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]