It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:11

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Yamaha CDV-870 question
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 16:16 
Second post
Second post

Hey, LD noobie here. I picked up a Yamaha CDV-870 for $5(!) at a thrift shop since the owner had no way of testing it. I’ve had an LD copy of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm for years and tried it out. The disc would spin but wouldn’t play. I took it apart and noticed the belt on the laser had slipped off. I put it back on and it works.

My issue is the belt looked like a double looped black rubber band. As I’ve no experience with these, is this normal?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Yamaha CDV-870 question
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2018, 05:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'm not sure what you mean by "double looped back"?

It appears that if you got the machine to work again, then all is resolved now. Are you asking because you want to order a spare belt to have in reserve (assuming this is an original belt so I would think it's already a tad stretched and probably has some slippage issues).

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2018, 14:39 
Second post
Second post

ldfan wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "double looped back"?

It appears that if you got the machine to work again, then all is resolved now. Are you asking because you want to order a spare belt to have in reserve (assuming this is an original belt so I would think it's already a tad stretched and probably has some slippage issues).

The belt is twice the size than what I assume it should be. I made a figure eight out of it, folded it in half, and looped it back on. I’d love to have an extra belt or two.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2018, 15:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You are just going to have to do it the old way. get some string loop it around, see how to measure for a belt and then measure the string, then buy the correct size.

Your player is just too obscure for anybody to know what belt you need, someone could have a service manual but that's slim to none. And Slim left town.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2018, 15:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Ok. I see the issue now.

At this point since it would be hard to find the exact belt since Yamaha would not have a lot of support for the format (this is probably a Philips clone), you can simply measure out what your best guess for an equivalent replacement belt and bring the belt to a local repair shop (if one stilll exists) and have them compare it to what they have in stock.

If that is not doable, I think a general search for belts on the web might help you find what you need if you can provide all the relavant search parameters like measurements (e.g.: thickness, height, and your best guess on the diameter). Good chance you can find one close enough but it will take time to narrow it down.

Last edited by ldfan on 19 Jul 2018, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2018, 16:02 
True fan
True fan

A quick fix I did on my cdv-487 was find an o-ring close in size at the hardware store.
Been working great ever since.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]